Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, all this talk of dynos and theoretical rwhp is nice, but who has taken their Z06 to its speed limit? If you have hit the rev limiter in 5th let's hear about it. When I did it, speedo read 177, but I've been told that at 6600 rpms I may have been going about 181. :D Not bragging-- much-- but I just want to know who else is as whacked as me, I mean my wife (she was in the car both times that I took it to an indicated 177)! :eek: These cars are AWESOME!

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Ron,
When I had my computer programmed the rev limiter was pushed up to 6800 rpms.
If I did find the road and balls to take it all the way up what do you think the mph would be?

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Awesome!

No, I have not taken my Z up that far! Am looking for an area I could do it safely, without endangering other drivers, and avoid Mr. Smoky!

The Zip :) :)

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom, I'm sure it would be around 185+ if she would pull it. We left our rev limiter stock because of the number of times I am near the rev limit on the track, we didn't want to push it.

JC, just a few more seconds and... Well, isn't that what the women are always saying? :eek:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
FRC Tom -- give me your diff ratio (3.42?) and I'll give you speeds at 6800 RPMs. FRC uses coupe 6-speed ratios, right? As Ripped said though, just because the gears will potentially let the car go that fast, it will not do it unless it has enough RWHP -- that's the key :D.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:
FRC Tom -- give me your diff ratio (3.42?) and I'll give you speeds at 6800 RPMs. FRC uses coupe 6-speed ratios, right? As Ripped said though, just because the gears will potentially let the car go that fast, it will not do it unless it has enough RWHP -- that's the key :D.
ZeeOhSix:
The M12 transmission ratio in 5th is 0.84:1
The M6 transmission ratio in 5th is 0.74:1

The only shared gear in these 6 speeds is 4th.
3:42 is correct at the rear with 0.84:1 at 6800 rpms.
I believe I have the hp to get me there.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I did 185 mph.....in my Junior Fuel dragster. :lol:

The fastest I've been in my Z is 130 mph. :roll: I have a great fear of being caught. :D

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Not in a Z06 but in my convertible I have been over 175 twice, the fastest was 177 and it's a rush with the top down. ;)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I had a fellow local Corvette owner ask me how fast I have had the car, so I did a run up to the red line in 5th on a slightly inclined hill. I looked down at the speedo and it was in the 170's but I came upon some traffic coming the other way and slowed down before I got a good look.

Two observations in relation to my motorcycle at really high speeds:

- The car is a lot twitchier than a motorcycle - I guess two tracks vs. one.

- It takes a long time to slow down with all that weight. I just took the car out of gear and let it role to normal speed.:eek:

Thank goodness there were no cops.

Zippy I can tell you of one excellent place to make high speed runs in the UP. State highway 35 between Little Lake and Rock anytime in the early afternoon and late morning. The road is very straight, excellent condition and almost no traffic. I have never seen a cop on this road. :D

I took my daughter to the UP State Fair last month in the Vette in Escanaba and we took that road. I was travelling around 150 mph on that stretch while she was sleeping. I didn't take it any faster for fear of waking her. Since she starts driver's training soon, I didn't want to give her the wrong impression.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had the pedal on the floor for about 3 minutes on the Autobanh in Germany and as far as I could tell I never went over 170. You could see the gas gauge move. The only i didn't like was the driver's side window was leaking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts