Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was concidering buying one for the Zee. Already have the magnetic drain plug, but from what I've heard the FilterMAG is much more effective.

http://www.filtermag.com/

Does anyone here run both? -- and if so, does the FilterMAG pick up stuff that the magnetic drain plug doesn't?

Also, is there enough clearance between the oil filter and the engine pan/block to rotate the oil filter with the FilterMAG installed on the filter?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Those are actually pretty beefy compared to the little refrigerator like filter magnets I've seen elsewhere. I'd be curious to hear from someone who's used them.

Everytime I change my oil (3 times thusfar...), I've noticed minute amounts of metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug. Does this go on indefinitely?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
bigbadbevo said:
Everytime I change my oil (3 times thusfar...), I've noticed minute amounts of metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug. Does this go on indefinitely?
There will always be some super fine metal particles in the oil from normal wear in the engine. The particles are so fine that the oil filter will not catch them. If they really cause any damage is debatable I guess, but if you read the reports on the website it all makes sense. Sure can't hurt to get this stuff captured out of the oil.

The magnets in the FilterMAG are very strong ... way stronger than any found in a magnetic drain plug -- plus the surface area is huge which makes it more efficient.

I talked to FilterMAG people today, and they said it is only about 1/4" in thickness, so it should be possible to remove/install the oil filter with the FilterMAG installed on the filter.

Only other concern would be the heat from the exhaust tube which runs right by the oil filter. Could position the FilterMAG on the opposite side of the filter away from the exhaust tube (between the filter and engine case) I would think.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have one. It fits on either side. I place it in the recess by the oil pan so the exhaust won't melt it.

I was convinced by a friend at Westech performance group. They are the guys that dyno most of the engines you see in the mags. You will se their logo in the background of most engine dyno articles. The owner is the former editor of hot rod and wrote all those how to build xxx chevy engine books. He is also a 200mph clubber at bonniville.

Anyway they were running the engine masters challenge and a guy from filter mag was there. He told them it would work. Rick told him the filter would trap it anyway and that it was a BS. So he rigged two filters inline and told the guy to put it on the second pass filter. Rick cut open the 2nd filter and to his suprise found a bunch of crud stuck to the walls. Rick and John are pretty skeptical, but they now stock them and have them on all their own cars and race motors. I did not pay for mine they gave it to me. He has the second filter on his bookshelf now with the stuff still stuck to it along with the first filter.
Westechperformancegroup.com

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I use a FilterMag similar to the one advertised above.

The only problem I have with filter mags is if they fall off or get knocked off. This can happen on rough streets or by the loads experienced under track conditions.

Then the sequestered particles are released and the engine is immediately showered with a relatively massive amount of debri.
I have had this happen before.

To solve this problem I attatch a tubing screw clamp (band) around the FilterMag and Filter to secure it in a more positive fashion.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
DJWorm said:
I use a FilterMag similar to the one advertised above.

The only problem I have with filter mags is if they fall off or get knocked off. This can happen on rough streets or by the loads experienced under track conditions.

Then the sequestered particles are released and the engine is immediately showered with a relatively massive amount of debri.
I have had this happen before.

To solve this problem I attatch a tubing screw clamp (band) around the FilterMag and Filter to secure it in a more positive fashion.
I cant see how that thing could fall off, you have to pry it off with a screwdriver the filter when you change it.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
At the risk of someone throwing darts at me, I would not buy one, for several reasons:

1. The vast majority of engine wear occurs during dry start-up. Engines can and do run literally hundreds of thousands of miles without such devices.

2. There is no evidence that the filter doesn't/won't trap the metal shavings that the filtermag (or for that matter a magnetic plug) catch. That said, I believe a magnetic plug is a no-brainer.

I guess if it makes you feel better to have one go right ahead, just not for me...

Les

ZeeOhSix said:
I was concidering buying one for the Zee. Already have the magnetic drain plug, but from what I've heard the FilterMAG is much more effective.

http://www.filtermag.com/

Does anyone here run both? -- and if so, does the FilterMAG pick up stuff that the magnetic drain plug doesn't?

Also, is there enough clearance between the oil filter and the engine pan/block to rotate the oil filter with the FilterMAG installed on the filter?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
30.00 or 50.00 price seems awfully strong IMO. I would like to see one of the Vendor's step up and give us a group price.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I have cut open a filter after using one and have found the metal pieces in the filter both microscopic and with the naked eye.

A filter also radiates heat from the oil and using a filtermag will reduce that somewhat.

FilterMags will fall off on rough tracks as I have run over one that had fallen off another car. The forces generated at speed while cornering on a rough track are instaneously tremendous. Add some high spirited rubbing or an off track excursion at speed and anything not bolted down will come loose and fall off. If it does while the engine is running all those trapped particles are set free all at once.

Another thing to consider with the use of Aluminum blocks, heads and parts and Titanium valve gear and rods is that those particles are NOT ferromagnetic and the FilterMag has no effect on them.

However a good installation spot on the new C6 Z06 might also be the oil reservoir tank.

If your engine is putting out enough debri that you need a Magnetic drain plug, and a Filter mag on the oil filter and Dry Sump Tank you have other problems that must be addressed.

·
Registered
372 Posts
A product SIMILAR to filtermag is not a Filter Mag. It is more expensive because you literally have to pry it off. Trust me it is not going anywhere. I cannot pull it straight off without a screwdriver. You have to work to slide it straight down. I have seen some with some funky floursect colors sold at Pep Girls and alike. This is the real deal.

Sort of like saying all motor oils are the same. Snap On or Walmart or made in china tools.

I am not sure I totally agree with the non-magnetic particles statement. Our blocks have steel sleeves, steel cranks, rods, rings, oil pump gears, timing chains, timing chain gears, valve seats and valve train. The BB chevy they tested had alum heads. Why would this be much different on the LS6, what am I missing?. No flames intended, just trying to think it through a bit.

Do I think we NEED these, NO. This falls into the class of Accusumps, Oil Coolers, Titanium this and Billet that. The magnetic drain plug certainly helps but has no real chance until the oil stops pumping and settles. If given a choice between the two devices with no regard for cost. I would choose the filter mag based on what Westech learned. If it proved itself in the polygraph room (dyno) I believe it. But that's just me and I did not pay for it.

I have no affiliation with Filter Mag. nor do I want to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts