Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering swapping out the stock 02 Z06 rotors for these but have a question or 2.

Who has the best prices and when it comes time to change pads, etc. if they are not in bad shape can they be turned and if so how long should they last before needing replacement? Will putting these on change pedal feel, etc. and for the non track guy are these purely for looks. Will they resist warping under normal conditions better than stock?

For what they cost I want to get an idea of how long they should last vs stock 02 Z06. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I installed the Baer Eradispeed rotors & stainless steel lines about a 1000 miles ago. I did it mainly for the looks. Brake pedal feels the same to me. I would also like to know the answers to the other questions you asked.

ZDOG

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Some info and opinions from an amateur :D

http://home.earthlink.net/~infosource/eradispeeds.JPG

As for suppliers of the rotors and pads I have always used forum vendors Extreme and LAPD with great results.

I have had the Eradispeeds on my 2001 Z06 for only a few thousand miles so far.

I also had them on my 98 Coupe for about 7 thousand miles before I traded her in. It all happened so quick I didn't have the time to remove the rotors from my 98.

As for pads I have been using OEM on my 01 and will change to the Hawks (street) when the OEM's are toast. Used the Hawks on the 98.

I have been told that the rotors can be turned but you will need to find a shop that will turn them as many will not touch them due to a more complex process required.

How long will they last - This really depends alot on your use and how you set and bed the rotors and pads. There are detailed instructions that come with the rotors that really need to be followed. This site also has some good info.

I did not notice any change in the way braking feels.

They really are just for looks, but DAMN they make the wheels look great in my opinion. My car at this point is mainly a street car that may see an occasional 1/4 drag, or amateur road race.

There may be some slight performance increase as far as heat reduction but for serious race use you need one of the true hardcore set-ups that are multi-thousand dollars.

If you are going to race, I would pull the Eradispeeds and throw on some C5 Corvette Racing HD Rotors. They are only about $90.00 each and will much better suit that purpose. It's a pretty quick and easy switch. These are available through GM parts dealers.

I hope I helped some.

Thanks, Rollin

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it matter if you change rotors and begin with used pads (as I would do) or do you have to start from scratch. Is bedding the pads the same as just breaking in the rotor as if all were new? Will the pads last as long as if on a stock rotor or will the crossdrilling, etc eat them up faster with the same use? Sorry for the dumb questions if they are? Thanks.

Also is it worth waiting a couple months and spending a couple hundred more $$ for rears with hats like the fronts vs the single construction the rears currently have? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
<---------Try calling one or all of our SUPPORTING vendors

I have used Richard at Exit 28, Shawn at LAPD (SUPER service from BOTH), and Nate at Extreme has answered email questions promptly. We truely have a great bunch of supporting vendors:)

Thanks guys:D

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I have been told it is better to begin with used pads to set & bed the rotors. I have not noticed any faster wear than stock rotors.

Sure, it would be worth waiting for the new rears, but I got tired of waiting. I just painted my rear centers black with high temp paint so they match the fronts.

Yes fyrcaptain I agree, our supporting vendors are great!!

Thanks, Rollin.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Rollin Black said:
I have been told it is better to begin with used pads to set & bed the rotors. I have not noticed any faster wear than stock rotors.

Sure, it would be worth waiting for the new rears, but I got tired of waiting. I just painted my rear centers black with high temp paint so they match the fronts.

Yes fyrcaptain I agree, our supporting vendors are great!!

Thanks, Rollin.
[/QUOT

I was told possibly that the larger baer rear rotors with black hats may not work with the stock caliper.Can someone tell me if the currrent baer rotors(Black front hat, silver reat hat), are the same size as the stock rotors and what are the exact sizes in inches.Thanks, Greg.:)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hello Torched.

I don't know the size in inches but I have used stock calipers (98A4 C5 & 2001 Z06) and have had no problems at all. I never measured, just pulled off the old stock and replaced. A direct bolt on.

Thanks, Rollin

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I was told possibly that the larger baer rear rotors with black hats may not work with the stock caliper.[/B]
Hmm... If I understand this correctly, I think that what you might have heard is that a LARGER-than-stock (similar in size to the 2-piece fronts) 2-piece rotor was tried on the REAR of a C5 by someone (at Eradispeed, or just someone giving it a shot), and it "didn't work." That's not to say that the CURRENT rears from Eradispeed don't work, 'cause they do -- it's just that a 2-piece rear that was tried didn't work initially, hence no 2-piece rears on the market from Eradispeed just yet.

I would imagine that Eradispeed will keep the rears similar (if not the same) in size to the stock and current 1-piece rears they offer now, and just make it in a 2-piece, black-hat design. That's my guess.

-Kirk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts