Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I have never been to New Orleans. So we are going to get away for some fun for a couple of days. Romantic weekend!!
Where's a decent place to stay?? Don't want a dive!!
Going to do the French Quarter thing and a little antique hunting. Fine foods and wining and dining.

------------------
Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I take it that you will be doing the whining?

------------------
Carl V. *****Authorized Zaino Distributor*****
Huntingdon Valley, PA.** 2000 Magnetic Red Convertible **
MN6,F45,QF5,AQ9,AG2,CJ2,T96,B34,AAB,UN0,U1S,JL4,UV6,T82,N37
** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
107 Posts
Frank,
From a recent post of yours, I suspect you "owe" the Mrs a nice trip! Anniversary gift?
I've been there several times on business and took the "boss" several times. She loved the Hilton (Riverside) - tell them you want a riverview room. It's near the water (obvious), not too close/not too far from "B" Street and it's near the aquarium and a riverfront mall. (it's the same mall that runaway tanker creamed a couple years ago)
Pete Fountain was the "resident" show the last time I was there (about a year or so). Ya missed some of the fun since they took the gambling boat that used to sit at the Hilton dock up the river further. (long story about gambling in N.O. and a political mess!)
The Riverboat rides just plain suck and are for tourists.... don't waste your time unless you are completely blasted and just want to go for boat ride. You get nice views of old, beat up docks and old manufacturing buildings.... There is a nice cruise that heads out to the end of the river channel, but I can't recall the name of it. (and it's note a paddle wheeler)
Don't go down Bourbon Street too early in the morning (on your way shopping, etc). It smells pretty bad until it's completely hosed down and cleaned from the night before!
You should get to the coffee/bignet place near the waterfront (name escapes me, it's famous, ask anyone there for the directions).
You should try Pat O'Brians and have a Hurricane. It comes in a plastic glass these days.... I liked the old originals (I was in N.O. the first time in 1967 with one of those "free" uniforms on...)
Also, Emerile Lagasse has a restaurant (NOLA's) that you need to make reservations for before you leave.... They are always booked. Food is excellent... You have to have some crawfish while you're in town also.... Just about anyplace has them... pinch the tail, suck the head.... Ha!

My wife thought antiques were $$$$.
As for Bourbon Street, it can get pretty nasty down there late at night... they run your ass off at midnight anyway. I tried to leave that for the youngsters, but got a good start in the afternoon to make up for it! (I celebrated my 50th birthday in N.O. and had the honor of knocking over a bottle of Dom on the 2nd floor balcony of a restaurant (Royal something.... gimme a break! I was toast!) As the bubbly ran over the edge, the waitress yelled down to the bystanders and said "don't run, it's Dom Perignon"! Amazingly, the rest of the night was a blur!

You can get trolley tickets at the hotel for multiple days. Saves a couple bucks and the ride is fun and convenient. Look for the streetcar named "Desire"! They run on a very timely schedule and often.
The only other suggestion I'd have is to try Houston's Restaurant, but it's a decent trolley ride away, near the Ponsetrain (sp) hotel. That part of town isn't that great anymore anyway...

Have a ball! Just about any of the clubs on Bourbon Street have some kind of entertainment.

Of course, you're gonna post some pics after the event I'm sure!

------------------
Thanks for the memories Dale.
Delivered 1/19/01 - Z06 Quicksilver/Black
Nickname - "Silver Bullet"
Installed - custom license plate, exhaust plate, B&M Ripper, Flameball, CAGS

[This message has been edited by Hasbro (edited 03-08-2001).]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Hasbro!! All those places sounded great!! Wife says she wants to eat at NOLA's, so looks like we will make reservations early. :early:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Frank, make your reservations at NOLA's as soon as you can. There books open up 3 months in advance and fill up very quickly. NOLA's and Emeril's were both just recently remodeled, FYI. They are both awesome resturants, the

You will want to go to Cafe Du Monde, it the coffee and beignet place that Hasbro was referring to. Joe Mesa, who I believe is the manager or in a higher position is a vette owner. Joe is a super nice guy. I should get you in touch with him. He's a member of the Cercent City Corvette club. Maybe the club could do something for you guys when y'all come.

I'm going to talk with my wife to see what Hotel she would recommend. Don't stay at the Sheraton, man it's bad.

Of cource you must go on Bourbon Street. The ladies show there boobs year round on the balcony at the Cat's Meow, its a bar on Bourbon street. Also, word of advice do not go past the Cat's meow heading away from Downtown. It gets to be a gay section and that's not where you want to be.

Also, try not to come during the middle of the summer up into August. It will be to damn hot to enjoy the trip.

Let me know if you need anything.
Chris

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts