Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tomas Enge

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the hype, interviews, practice, qualitying, bumping, driver switching, etc is over. ABC will televise the 89th running of the Indianapolis 500 at noon EST Sunday.

Zippy :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Tony Kanaan :cheers:

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Danica

I'm not saying she'll win, I just felt like posting her photo to enhance the visual content of this thread. Hope thats ok, Zip.

:guiness:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I listed the top 10 qualifiers by starting position. Here are other drivers I feel have the skill, determination, experience, car, and crew to drink milk Sunday afternoon:

Tomas Sheckter
Bruno Junqueira
Scott Dixon
Adrian Fernandez
Sevastien Bourdais
Dan Wheldon
Bryan Herta
Richie Hearn
Kenny Brack

Make you pick.

I feel Danica Patrick has a decent chance, but her in-experience at Indy is against her. Pole sitter Tony Kanaan, is the favorite, and could very well be the winner. but I'm going with Sam Hornish Jr.

Zippy :usa: :usa:

·
Banned
809 Posts
Bruno Junqueira

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Phaster said:
The girl will try but will not succeed.

Robby Gordon is bitchin(and maybe rightfully so) that she has an unfair advantage of weighing 110lbs. Indy cars are weighed empty meaning she is around 100 lighter overall, He claims this makes her 1 mph faster. Her real talent and experience will surface in a race. I think she is very good, but not that good.

Where's the fence climber this year??

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First I've heard that Joe, but it might make a difference...maybe the other 32 guys should go an extreme diet..:rofl:

Zipster :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Robby Gordon is a whinny little crybaby. Let his fat ass go on a diet. Better yet, let him stay over in this league, cause I'm tired of his butt in NASCAR.

·
Banned
809 Posts
salvador said:
Bruno Junqueira
Bruno was running great in 6th and Foyt IV just took him out. :mad:

The Foyt's have no business being out there. They're dangerous! This is nepotism at its worst.

Sal

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
salvador said:
Bruno was running great in 6th and Foyt IV just took him out. :mad:

The Foyt's have no business being out there. They're dangerous! This is nepotism at its worst.

Sal
That was pretty crappy driving, (or spotting) or both. Patrick just lost 12 spots in the pits. :bang: We'll see how good she is now. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
100 lbs lighter

Is it possible that Danica being 100lbs lighter means her car sits higher resulting in more drag from the greater amount of air beneath her car versus the heavier drivers?

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Enviroag02 said:
Is it possible that Danica being 100lbs lighter means her car sits higher resulting in more drag from the greater amount of air beneath her car versus the heavier drivers?

If she jumped in somebody elses car, maybe, but her car is set up for her. Less weight = Speed.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Do they add weight in horse racing to compensate for one jockey being lighter than another?

Do they add weight to Lance Armstrong's bike to compensate for someone else not having as much muscle mass and aerobic capacity?

Do they add weight to Tiger Wood's golf clubs to compensate for his innate ability?

Do they lower the hoop for one team in the NBA if the other team has taller players?

I don't see anything wrong with one competitor having an innate physical advantage. That's how it is in pretty much every single sport. It's a minor thing here anyway, nowhere near as important as (say) height is to an NBA player.

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
novetteyet said:
Do they add weight in horse racing to compensate for one jockey being lighter than another?

Do they add weight to Lance Armstrong's bike to compensate for someone else not having as much muscle mass and aerobic capacity?

Do they add weight to Tiger Wood's golf clubs to compensate for his innate ability?

Do they lower the hoop for one team in the NBA if the other team has taller players?

I don't see anything wrong with one competitor having an innate physical advantage. That's how it is in pretty much every single sport. It's a minor thing here anyway, nowhere near as important as (say) height is to an NBA player.

Actually I think Jockeys do have to weigh a certain amount. Did you ever see how fast the horses are after the jockey falls off? But other than that I just pointed out why she may be fast when she is on the track alone(she has an advantage). Most racing has weight requirements(minimums) for car and driver together. I was just pointing out what Robby Gordon said about it. Apparantly he is not alone. Racing is one of those sports that when someone else finds a distinct advantage, they make a rule to level the playing field. The Daytona Charger comes to mind.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Dan Wheldon Wins Indy 500

By DAVE CALDWELL
Published: May 30, 2005
INDIANAPOLIS, May 29 - Danica Patrick, a 23-year-old rookie who does not drive like one, rocketed into the lead with 10 laps left today in the 89th Indianapolis 500, chasing away earlier misfortune and storming in on history with each left-hand turn.

Tom Strickland/Associated Press
Danica Patrick, with David Letterman, finished in 4th place, the best finish by a woman at the Indianapolis 500.

Michael Conroy/AP
Minutes after crossing the finish line, Dan Wheldon embraced a tradition.
No woman had ever won this race, let alone led it. Nearly 300,000 fans at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway clapped, pumped fists and screamed, urging Patrick to hang on. She would have loved to, but she also had to save fuel just to finish the race.

Forced to drive with a less powerful blend of oil and fuel, Patrick was passed with six laps left by Dan Wheldon, a 26-year-old Briton who held on for his first Indy 500 victory. Patrick faded and finished fourth, behind Vitor Meira and Bryan Herta.

Three women had driven in a combined 15 Indy 500's before Patrick, and Janet Guthrie was the only female driver to finish in the top 10 when she came in ninth in 1978. Patrick, who has been a sensation all this month here, did much better than that.

Asked after the race if she had made the point that female drivers can compete against men, Patrick quickly replied, "I made a hell of a point for anyone, are you kidding me?"

Patrick, driving in only her fifth Indy Racing Series race, had become a phenomenon at the speedway this month, posting the fastest speed in practice on May 12 and qualifying fourth, another best for a woman, for the 33-car starting grid.

But she was no fluke. Before this year, Patrick, a native of Roscoe, Ill., and resident of Phoenix, was an accomplished driver in the Toyota Atlantic series. She finished fourth in the previous I.R.L. race April 30 in Japan.

Her car is co-owned by Bobby Rahal, the 1986 Indy 500 winner, and David Letterman, the late-night talk-show host. The team's top driver, Buddy Rice, won the Indy 500 last year. The consensus beforehand was that she had a good chance to win.

She came close. Patrick, who has long black hair and weighs 100 pounds, has been marketed by the I.R.L. as an ingénue, posing her for more glamour media-guide photos than in her driving suit. But she can also drive fast.

"She's not 23 years old," Letterman said in a television interview after the race. "She's no kid."

Wheldon's victory was the first for a British driver at the Indy 500 since Graham Hill won the race in 1966. Wheldon, who has won four of five I.R.L. races this year, also chased a speedway ghost for Michael Andretti, the co-owner of his car.

Andretti, who retired after the 2003 season, drove in 14 Indy 500's and did not win once. Andretti led 426 laps in this race, but never the last one. His father, Mario, drove in 29 Indy 500's and won just once, in 1969.

"No more talk of this stupid curse," Michael Andretti said. "It's dead. It's going to be nice coming back here next year and not talking about that. You know, it gets old, I'll tell you."

Patrick certainly had to overcome more to get to the front of the pack than Wheldon. She fell from fourth to 16th place when she stalled her engine after a pit stop on the 79th lap of the 200-lap race, then spent the next 70 laps climbing back into the top 10.

"I'm going to be mad at myself for the stall," she said.

The caution period was caused by a crash involving Bruno Junqueira and A.J. Foyt IV, the grandson of the four-time Indy 500 winner. Junqueira hit the first-turn wall hard, his car disintegrating as it slid to a stop.

Junqueira, complaining of lower back pain, was taken by ambulance to nearby Methodist Hospital. He was reported to be in fair condition, but was kept overnight and is scheduled to undergo surgery on two fractured vertebras Monday.

"I'm sure he was running a lot better than I was," said Foyt, who was running six laps off the pace at the time.

Later, as the field reached race speed after a caution period, Patrick abruptly lifted her foot off the gas pedal on the 155th lap to avoid hitting a car driven by Scott Sharp. Her car went into a spin and had its left front wing knocked off. Her crew replaced the wing.

"I can't believe that my car didn't completely demolish because I got hit, like, twice," she said. "I spun it around, and I can't believe I kept the engine running. Somebody is sitting by my side."

·
Banned
809 Posts
Well.. Look at Cristiano De Matta "shorty" in CART and F1. I met the guy once and he couldn't have been 120 lbs wet.

The way that they work it in F1 is that the car and driver have to be a minimum weight. If you're under weight, you have to add weight to the car, but you have the advantage because the engineers can add the ballast wherever they want in the car. I'm not sure how they work it in the IRL.

As far as the ride height for the driver, they set the cars up to be as low as they legally can. That means setting up the car with the driver in it.

Sal

·
Registered
722 Posts
I only got a chance to see the final 30 laps. Danica is a superstar. Awesome.

:yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts