Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey well it's my friends car we do the work for him. But he was leaving my work and got on it in first hard and it just lost all forward movement and just rolled to a stop. The car would run, but I could put it in gear and let the clutch out and nothing would happen. I towed the thing home and we thought it was an output shaft in the rear. But then when we went to change it I saw all this.

The car just gets raced often so all the stress finally caused it to break. So new rear end w/ 3.90's, trans rebuild and output shaft, and we're also going to do heads and finish hooking up the nitrous now.

Hopefully she holds together, we'll see.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Im one of the biggest believer that real sports cars are meant to be raced and be able to last if pushed, but out of all the punishment I put on my Z, and nothing went bad so far with 20k miles, one thing I try to avoid is powershiting, It is alot of stress on the drivelines, But Im pretty sure that car took alot of abuse before snaping :coo:

·
Registered
515 Posts
That is what spare parts are for! Run it hard that was what they were built for! If you want to play, :zboobie: you got to pay.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Is he going back to the Exedy? This seems to be a common theme in some of the drive line damage that have been reported.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
It's shame the General didn't build the drive-line as strong as the engine or like the drive-lines of the 60's. :bmad:

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Don't forget the Diff/Tranny strut brace! :yeadog:

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Ouch, that looks expensive! You wanna play you have to pay. :yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Registered
515 Posts
The General built these cars to last. In their stock configuration you can probably pound the Jesus out of them all day long.
Start cranking the power up with mods and the driveline parts will begin to show weakness. Reliability is a nice feature in a modified LS6 package. How much extra power can they take and survive? (35%?)

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
jub jub said:
That's the one thing that worries me about going to the track. I don't want to bust nuthin! :(

How many times have you been to the track and what condition is your car in?

It is really hard to bust a completely healthy Z06 the first few times. Unless you are doing something irrational. Most Zs with problems get tracked frequently and that is why they brake! Made to be raced or not, sport cars are just like race cars, the harder you drive them the higher the cost of maintenace is.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
vettenuts said:
Is he going back to the Exedy? This seems to be a common theme in some of the drive line damage that have been reported.

This is what I've heard from several good sources. Change to a Spec 3 and drop the DR's also, get some ET Streets. Way to much shock on the drivetrain with your current setup.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am also one of the people working on the car. He has never cut better than a 1.8. The cause is powershifting. It is too hard on it especially with that clutch. We are getting a DTE stage 2 with 3.90's and rebuilding the trans. Since the car is down we are upgrading the heads too! Should be back on the road late next week!
-matt

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I think gary and trex were having a little too much fun. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts