Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how big a job it is. Back in '98 I did heads/cam/intake on my '96 Vette, was about a 40 hour job for 2 to 3 people; 2 had a bunch of small block chevy experience. Any tools needed that can't be found at Sears? I'm guessing it's probably about a 12 hour job for 2 people...

Thanks,

·
Registered
54 Posts
I did mine in 3 days, about 5 hours a day. (with a few emails to Z06Dad) If you can do heads/cam/intake, you can do this. I had to buy a snap ring plier and a deep socket for the knock sensors. (Not to bad, I was needing the pliers anyway)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Seems like 15 hours is worth saving several thousand bucks, and much driving to an installer. Did either of you guys find an ASE-certified installer to help, and be eligible for the warrenty?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a dealer install my Vortech ($1200) and was pretty satisfied. (I'm having minor driveability issues with idle, but we're working them out finding the right tuning) Given the "ease" of the Maggie and to be honest, it's almost as simple as installing an intake manifiold I don't think that an ASE mechanic is needed. (I kinda feel that warranties on aftermarket parts gets murky. They don't advise against headers/exhaust etc.. but they don't go out of their way to suggest them either. What point is it intallation problems vs. "unintended use"?)

Take your time and make sure you get all the steps. After doing it once, I'm relatively sure I could do another in 10 hours or so. I took 3 days for this reason:

Day 1 - pulling the steering gear/pinning the crank, re-install, starting the intercooler

Day 2 - Finishing the Intercooler, dissasembly of intake, seating supercharger unit

Day 3 - Final assembly, wiring, programming, test drive

I'm having a tuner do an ls1 edit on the car for programming (IF I can ever get the guy to come do it!)

I was thinking about having mine professionally installed, but with the money I "saved" I bought longtube headers, high flow cats and an X pipe (don't tell my wife)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not the same vehicle, I know (I'm just a lurker). I installed the Maggie on my CTS-V, and I'd recommend it if you can do heads and cam. I didn't have the issue of removing the rack and pinion, etc., but did pin the crank, install intercooler, etc. It isn't that bad, and my experience with Magnuson products is the instructions and customer service can get you through nearly any hang up during install or afterwards.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
Yea I'm a little late......I'm in Bowling Green in my room on the laptop trying to catch up :) :) :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts