Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called :bs: on this when I first heard it, and I told the girl she was crazy... but I felt I can't with-hold this information from y'all with a clear conscience... I still think it's most likely BS, but here goes anyway:

This friend of mine claims to personally know one of the larger, more well-respected LSx tuners in the country... she claims this tuner has informed her that he has gotten to witness a C6 Z06 on a chassis dyno.

515 rwhp.

Now... I realize how crazy it sounds to say that a car that went into production last week has already been on a tuner's chassis dyno... which is why I don't really believe this... BUT 500 rwhp is MUCH more like the number I would expect from a 427 that is cammed high enough to peak at 6200 RPMs, and rev up to 7000. Take a look at some of the LS1/6 427s and the power numbers they are making... the number itself is right in the ballpark... it's just the unlikelihood of having a Z on a dyno already that I can't get over... the 500 rwhp number itself seems totally possible.

Here's hoping... :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'm right there along with you being skeptical about 500 RWHP. I will say that the rumored $70k price would make a lot more sense with 500 RWHP.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I'm not really skeptical about the 500 rwhp figure at all... I think that's totally believable. I just can't believe the car has already been on a tuner's chassis dyno...

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
ITS TRUE! I was the one who got to gear jam on the dyno at a new Super WalMart in BeEsser :bs: Village! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
she claims this tuner has informed her that he has gotten to witness a C6 Z06 on a chassis dyno.

The test could have been at a GM facility. Just says a tuner witnessed the event.
Now, I wonder if any of these cars have made it over to Mallett or the Lingenfelter shops for testing or?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'll believe anything more than 500 @ the crank when I see it. That vast majority of guys I know with stock Corvettes dynoed with 5-10hp of advertised. Dynoing almost 100 over sounds ridiculous until proven otherwise...

nice thought though...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The DBK said:
I'll believe anything more than 500 @ the crank when I see it. That vast majority of guys I know with stock Corvettes dynoed with 5-10hp of advertised. Dynoing almost 100 over sounds ridiculous until proven otherwise...

nice thought though...

The reason I believe 500 at the wheels is possible is because of tuner motor builds like yours... I know that a cam able to make a 427 make power up to 6200 and rev to 7000 effectively is going to be a BIG cam... there are tuner LS1/6 427s making 520-540 rwhp...

It just doesn't sound that far fetched to me...

The Ford GT is rated at 550 HP, and didn't it make 560 at the wheels?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Rumors are spread for entertainment purposes only.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me. I wouldn't get too worked up about such a rumor.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
It would be nice, but not likely. What I have heard is the the true flywheel horsepower of the new Z06 is 513 HP. The general is being conservative they don't want another Ford fiasco. By coming in with a low number this give them easy room to grow. Like in 2001, with the Z06 at 385. Then the next year 405 HP. :z:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd love to think that could be possible. I don't know enough regarding whether it is... I guess we'll know in about six months....?

·
Registered
858 Posts
From what I read a whle back there had been 5 motors tested on an ENGINE dyno, the lowest of which dynoed like 517HP (at the crank)...

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Second year of production will probably see a hp increase as it worked very well on the 2002 Z06....

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've heard...second hand...the engine dynos are in the low 520s, which is in line with niphilli. That would put it at around 450rwhp, correct?

Also heard that the ECU is not compatible with current retuning software and is designed to not allow easy modification.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Jim Hall posted back in the fall that his contacts said that the General would not get into the same debacle that Ford did with underated HP figures.
That the C6 Z-06 would DEFINATELY make the 500 advertized hp (which means that they will actually be producing a little more, probably a "percentage" more, like 510).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Jay2002WS6 said:
The reason I believe 500 at the wheels is possible is because of tuner motor builds like yours... I know that a cam able to make a 427 make power up to 6200 and rev to 7000 effectively is going to be a BIG cam... there are tuner LS1/6 427s making 520-540 rwhp...

It just doesn't sound that far fetched to me...

The Ford GT is rated at 550 HP, and didn't it make 560 at the wheels?
Of course, I'm not doubting GM could toss out a 500rwhp motor at will. It's just that they have, in recent times, been very accurate with their rated and actual hp numbers. Usually what Dave Hill says is exactly what we get.

As far as the GT, ever since the 99 Cobra fiasco Ford has wildly underated some products, so it fits the pattern. The 03 Cobra "is" 390hp, and yet guys routinely dyno well into the 370s. I also think it has a bit to do with Ford wanting to keep the rated hp conservative, just to make sure nothing near it, i.e Viper, is really near it...

·
Registered
329 Posts
I read in a post somewhere that the 405 hp. LS6`s dynoed at anywhere from 425-435 on the engine dyno & the lowest was 425 . 425 -15% = 361 Sounds right to me. Maybe they will tune the LS7`s down some to leave room for more in the next few years :thumb:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Look at the stats: 500 HP at 6200, but it redlines at 7K and has the hardware to back it up. That means it can deliver 550HP easily at 6800, with just a change of cam and intake. With the M12 drivetrain known to cost 50HP in the lower rpm range, my prediction is 450 RWHP for the '06 Z06 and 495RWHP when they bump it to 550 for '07 or '08 (you lose another 5 HP with the higher rpm power peak).

·
Registered
108 Posts
While the rest of the package should easily be capable of 500+ RWHP, I doubt that a 50 state emissions-legal cam would support that number. My 427 with Stage IV LS6 heads, etc. made 528, but my cam wouldn't pass emissions testing in Bolivia.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts