Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in what drew you to the FRC rather than another body style?

For me it was a no brainer.

I'm into roadracing. Lighter and stiffer chassis is my kind of car. The C5 is strong, no doubt. Since the first mention of the Billy Bob in 1997, I knew it was the 'vette for me. Minimal frills and maximal thrills, YES!

I was somewhat amazed the FRC passed through the rigorous process any car has to undergo to become a reality in today's corporate vision. It's heartening to see that GM/Chevrolet has a strong "car" contingent that holds out for the stuff "carfolks" want.

The '99 and '00 FRC sold in such miniscule numbers < major manufacturerwise > that I feel extra fortunate to have one. I've driven lots of iron, foreign and domestic, but the Billy Bob has it for me... no BS. It's a well kept secret like the '67 Z/28. It has it's roots in the L-88 way of thinking.

Let's hear why you chose the FRC, the Corvette that came with all the go fast goodies and weight and sturcture to go at it a little bit better than the rest.

1fastdog 2K FRC

------------------

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
I've owned 3 C5s, two '99 FRCs (red and black) and now a QS Z06. I would never have bought a C5 without the FRC body style. The Coupes look funny, something about the C5 body line looks bad with hatchback glass. Verts have never been of interest to me. Too many comprimises I guess. FRC looks like a Vette should. Its nice to have a lighter, tighter ride.

------------------
01 Z06-- Quicksilver, modified torch red interior, DRM long tube headers, cam, CNC heads, 11.4 to 1 compression ratio, Donaldson LS6, Corsa Indys, Euro tail lights, B&M Ripper
405 rwhp, 380 rwt Minneapolis,Mn
Ron M.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
1fastdog,
We talked about this Sat. night.
If not for the FRC I would not be driving a C5 today.

------------------
Tom
Quicksilver/Red Z06
Corsa Indy, B&M Ripper, Corvette Concepts Ram Air Induction

www.c5frc.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Dog,

Ya always hit the nail on the head!!

No Brainer!!!

It was the lightness and stiffness that did it for me. I still like some of the creature comforts....air, power windows. I know you could do without them though.
And the non leaky roof helps too!! And the lines of the car....SHWEEEET!!!

Actually, I was getting new O2 sensors installed on my '95 Admiral Blue beauty. For some reason, it kept losing the O2 sensors. While at the dealership, they brought in one of the first FRC allocations. It was a Black Beauty!! When the wife got home, I said, "Baby, ya gots to see this new Hardtop Corvette!!!"

That Saturday we went to my dealership and he had just gotten in one of the first Hardtops too. It was all Black!! That was one pretty SOB!! Well, we traded her 13,000 mile '93 Black Rose Coupe off and the dealership said they had a Pewter and a White Hardtop supposedly coming in the next week.

Pewter was mine!! The rest is history. GM advertises the Z06 as being for the EXTREME ENTHUSIASTS!! I've never been so enthused about my Vettes in all my life!! FRC all the way for me!!

Finally a Real Corvette!!! LMAO

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I like the look of the hardtop. Along with the firmer ride and that it yields more performance. I agree that the C5 coupe has a "different" look to it. I guess I never really like the hatchback look, a personal preference. Don't get me wrong, I do like the look of the 63-67 coupe, but then again it's a stingray. I learned to drive on a 63 rag top, so I have a little nostalgic feeling for those years. I expect to buy a C3 this year to keep my Z06 company. Anyway, I think the FRC is the best looking of the C5 body styles.
As Tom stated the 99 & 00 FRC rare, only 4031 for 99 and 2090 for 00.

------------------
QuickSilver with red/black interior, chromatic mirrors,
memory package and Lloyd Z06 mats

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought mine because both the wife and myself thought the hardtop looked a hell of alot better than the coupe. Also, for the price I paid for my car, it was damn near a steal.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Chris Y2K FRC (edited 03-04-2001).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good question..My previous Vettes included a 67 Roadster and an 85 with removable tops. If you had asked me this question before I became interested in getting a Z06 I would have said, "I'll wait for a Convert version", since I've always liked the topless option. However, after driving in my friends 99 FRC I was sold on the tight ride of his car and I like the look of the Z. Also, down here its too hot in the summer without air conditioning most of the time. Haven't regretted the choice one bit.

------------------
Yellow/Black Z06

·
Registered
57 Posts
When the C5 first came out it really caught my attention, but when I saw my first FRC, lookout I had to have one! I just don't think there is any comparison in the look for me between the coupe and FRC. I had a 99 FRC, before getting the ZO6, loved that car too, wish I could have keep it as well.

------------------
o1 Torch Red ZO6, Vette Doctors pro flo, cags eliminater, column lock bypass

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also fell in love with the looks. I had a 97. I wanted a FRC, but with some options on it. When I found an 00 like I wanted, snatched it up! Wanted performance like the rumored hi-po Vette, so made it into a Mallett 396. Then the Z06 comes out! Darn, missed it by less than one year. Could not pass up a deal, had gone to the dealership with a friend to get a Z06 brochure. Offered such a deal, ordered one that day! Talk about having to tell my wife what I did, but she took it well....well, she took it...

------------------
Bob Hardt
00 Mallett 396 HARDTop
01 Corvette Z06 Speedway White w/red trimmed int.
C5Reg NCM Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keep it coming folks, I love it. Hardcore car folks talking hardcore cars! More please.

1fastdog 2000 FRC

------------------

·
Registered
528 Posts
Good question...
I've always been into drag racing. The FRC, at least for me has been the "race car". I like all vette's, but always leans toward the FRC. I just like the lines of the car.
If there was no Z06. I would have still purchased a FRC.

I can't beleive I said that....... If there was no Z06. I'll be right back after I wash my mouth out with soap.

------------------
My Web Site

01 Z06 MY/BLK,Zaino,Lowered,Ripper - No time slips yet
92 RS ProStreet Camaro (454) - Best E.T to date 10.15 @ 136 mph (all throttle no bottle)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I go way back to the muscle car days.

Started playing with vettes again in 96....black coupe. Moved up to a 98 Silver coupe...then got involved in auto-cross last year.

Now into racing..looking for the best setup possible. The FRC was offering us a stiffer chassis, lighter weight corvette.

Time to trade the 98 in....the General launches the Z06. No brainer, tired of the leaking roof on the 98 and now we have a full blown race car with extended warranty advailable.

Nuff said

------------------

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK it was initally the body style for the wife and I.

When the Coupe came out in 97 we weren't really impressed. I also was a Mustang Cobra fan because we just purchased one in 97.

It was when the Hardtop hit the car magazines did it really grab us. The Hardtop looks like a track sprinter and looks all business. It just has that mystique to it.

When I finally got to 'drive' the Hardtop I realized that this is like a finely honed scapel in the doctor's hands. You cannot do things in this car like other cars. It is remarkable.

I'll just say that the Z06 raises that performance bar FURTHER if it can be possible.

------------------
Todd
99 C5 Hardtop
Mokena, IL

·
Registered
47 Posts
The 99 FRC is my first Vette. I've had many other vehicles over the years, but this is the first one I drove and just had to have. Two days after my first drive, I placed a deposit on one. The coupe and convertable are ok, but the look, overall tightness and rigidity of the FRC made it impossible to pass up. Everytime I drive it, the grin on my face just gets bigger

------------------
99 FRC

·
Registered
200 Posts
It was definitely the look. Throw in the fact that the FRC was designed for a more specific function than the coupe and it made it an easy choice.

I love the C5 but the FRC looks the best IMHO!!

------------------
99 FRC

·
Registered
45 Posts
I love how the car looks totally P*SSED OFF!!!</FONT c>

I have yet to reveal my new project. But I think when you see the work being done and the theme of the additions, you'll know it was all about the looks. To me the car just has more personality with FR lines.

I had a 98 Coupe. After the FRC came out all I knew is I wanted one.

I hope to have the car complete in about two weeks. The car was shipped directly to the shop.... in fact, I've never even driven it. When I roll it out ALL of the work will be complete. I made the decision to plan out all that I wanted done to the car and roll it out with everything done all at once. The first drive it takes will be from our shop to the audio shop. Then we're gonna ride!!!

[This message has been edited by John Thawley (edited 03-05-2001).]

·
Registered
45 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FRC Tom:
You have caught my attention John, keep us posted.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Count on it!!! You'll probably get sick of seeing it.

The C5 Birthday Bash will be the first public unveiling. We'll be showing it this summer... probably Carlisle and Mid America's FunFest.

------------------

·
Registered
230 Posts
I drove an LT1 convertible with the hardtop. I liked the lines and chassis improvements with the roof bolted in, and I never had the hardtop off of the car for the last 3 years I drove it. I knew that C5 cars were really great cars, but when the FRC came out I knew thats what I had to have. The first FRC I seriously considered buying turned out to be a ZO6, but I would have jumped on any cherry pre-Z FRC as well. They are true purist cars, or as close as you can come to it these days.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts