Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sherylann wants a different shifter. She likes the short throws and positive shifts of my Ripper. Unfortunately, the springs are too strong for her. She's only 4'10" and weighs 90 lbs. It's a real struggle for her to shift my Z.

Hey, it's a man's shifter!! :D ARG ARG ARH ARH!! :D

Well, I took my old stock shifter to work and gave it to a professional tool and die maker to have it cut down to the heigth of the Ripper. I have complete confidence in this guy. He knows his stuff!! :cool:

He placed it on a leith (sp?) and started to work his magic. I always thought the shaft was solid....NOT!!!

The shaft of the stock shifter is filled with rubber for dampening :eek: , unlike the aftermarket shifters. The shifter is ruined, so it looks like I will be looking into the Kirban or Hurst shifter. :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Kirban is easier to shift than the Ripper. My wife hated my ripper, maybe that wasn't all bad. :) anyway, the stock shifter has insulation in the boot as well. That is what my tuner told me when I asked him the same question. It is a pain. I have thought about trying to fab something.
Rg:guiness:

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Hey Frank. If you want a stock shifter to replace the one you just ruined, you can have mine. I can ship it tomorrow. ( have to keep the "woman happy". ;)

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Thanks for the info Frank!

I'm watchinga special on Speedvisionright now about Hurst Corp! Geez I love Linda Vaughn!

Zippy :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Thanks for the good info

Frank, nice attempt!

I always wondered why people were not just cutting down the shafts; I guess now we know why. :lol: I do have to say, that is one mighty clean looking cut! I guess all of that rubber makes welding the top back on out of the question.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Baron,

That is extremely generous of you. Thanks man!! :cool:

That shifter was out of my Z, Sherylann still has her stock shifter in hers, so I won't need another shifter. I was trying to just cut the stock shifter down. I had originally cut it down 1 1/2" but the new Combat Momo knob wouldn't go down all the way because of the larger shaft area. If we had left it alone at that point, the stock knob would have worked out fine. At least I may save someone else from doing the same mod. :)

Anyway, thanks Baron for the offer!! :cool:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Thanks for the good info

pmontelo said:
Frank, nice attempt!
I guess all of that rubber makes welding the top back on out of the question.
Pat,

Actually, I am going to attempt to have the rubber drilled down a bit, and then the top shaft welded on. It doesn't have to be threaded because the MOMO does not have threads. :D All will be covered by the shift boot...more to follow.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zippy said:
I'm watchinga special on Speedvisionright now about Hurst Corp! Geez I love Linda Vaughn!
Tony,

I am watching the same show!! I danced all night with Linda at the Gainesville Hilton in 1979 while attending the Gatornational drags!! :D

·
Registered
575 Posts
FYI, Kirban has just come out with a mod for their shifter that is a some sort of a boot that should help quiet the noise from the shifter. Will let you all know next week when mine arrives.
Bob

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bob
Boy that would be great. Please do.
Randy:cheers:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Frank,

I know that I have read that some people have been able to cut the stock shifters length down in height. For some reason I keep thinking it was Nate from eXtremeMotorsports. You may want to check with him or search on the CF for the details.

I am waiting to hear how the Hurst plays out. I liked everything about my ripper except for the rattle.

- Charley

·
Registered
495 Posts
SHIFTER

JAKE AT CORVETTE CONCEPTS HAS FOUND A WAY TO CUT DOWN THE STOCK SHIFTERS AND THEY SEEM TO WORK PRETTY WELL,,,(NO EXTRA SPRING TENSION) AND IT SHIFTS PRETTY WELL.

HOPE IT HELPS,,,,NICK
:)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, Jake makes the cut down stock shifter. :cool:

Wait till you see how we solved the problem. :D More pics to follow!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Shortened stock shifter

Frank,
I had an old Toyota Supra that had a shifter rod that was similar.
A friend that is a machinist put the shaft on a lathe and ever so gently cut it (it was fairly close to the base). He actually only cut the outer shaft, and we found there was a solid inner rod inside. He then separated the two pieces and cut down the upper outer half 2 inches (it was hollow) then slid this cut down portion back onto the inner solid shaft that was sticking up maybe 2-3 inches. He then tack welded the upper and lower parts together. this made a nice short throw shifter at a time when there was no such thing available.

:cheers:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is getting better!! We removed the rubber...top half only. Only??? Yep, there is a couple of layers of rubber pressed into the main shaft.

Toolmaker is going to press and pin the top half of the newly fabricated shifter. Should be an awesome piece of work!! :cool: Pix to follow!!

Frank

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Dang, Frank.. I could have told you that that wasn't a solid shaft prior to your cutting it! :eek: Oh well -- the stock shifter is crap anyway!

As far as the cut-down stock shifters go, they simply have the threaded part cut down slightly. This just allows the knob to sit lower, and that's about it. Unfortunately, what this also does is make it so the top of the boot opening gets stretched over the fatter part of the shaft (if you screw a knob down all the way to the fat part of the shaft). As you know, the top of the boot opening is made to only have to go around the narrower part of the shaft. I don't like the idea of stretching the boot opening.

I'm sticking with the Ripper until/unless I'm swayed by the Hurst (if it ever gets released).

-Kirk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts