Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 2001 vert it required about half of the effort. Is it because there is no where for the air to go or is there something else wrong?:?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Try just closing it and putting your hand on the top of the trunk and just pushing it down until it locks.:)

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
To test the 'air' theory, lower a window and then check the closing effort. If it's the air, then Rick D's solution should do it.

If it's still the same effort, then Check to see if the trunk lid is level with the rest of the car. If decklid sticks up, then slightly lower the rubber bumpers until the decklid is level.

If that doesn't fix it, then it's probably due to the latch/lock height. Perhaps the constant slamming has pushed the lock mechanism further down into the trunk, making it even harder to close. Which means raise the lock mechanism back to it's regular position.

Usually I've heard the problem is the trunk lid doesn't pop up enough. I solved mine by spraying WD-40 into the lock mechanism. Cured me.

Vince

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
I can't imagine slamming the trunk lid or even the hood. Treat mine like I treat a woman that is seducing me....nice and soft with gentle pressure :D Just lower it until the mechanism's touch each other and I gently use my forearm to press them together.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
The main reason there is a Corvette emblem on the trunk is so you can close the trunk without touching the paint. Like others have said, lower it until the mechanism touches and then push it closed using the emblem as the contact point for your hand.:cheers:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sherylann is having a hard time closing the truck too. The dealership has ordered her a new latch. It hasn't come in yet.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
MSiska said:
I can't imagine slamming the trunk lid or even the hood. Treat mine like I treat a woman that is seducing me....nice and soft with gentle pressure :D

Well..........I won't even speculate as to "trunk slamming" in regards to seductive women!:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :yeadog:

:cheers:

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Rippie is correct, proper etiqutte for closing the Corvette trunk is as follows......

Pull down on loop of trunk lid till trunk is 3/4 closed, then use 2 fingers like below to finish it off........

JC

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
N4C5S said:
Rippie is correct, proper etiqutte for closing the Corvette trunk is as follows......

Pull down on loop of trunk lid till trunk is 3/4 closed, then use 2 fingers like below to finish it off........

JC
Hey, what's with all the water spots? ;)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
N4C5S said:

Ah yes..............the "2-Finger" technique,..... one of the classics!

:yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Someone mentioned closing the hood gently. The probem with that is that you twist the hood each time when you push down each corner. You really don't want to twist it.

The technique I was shown during Museum delivery was close the hood within about 24" and give it a hard push in the center of the rear edge.

That's the same way I've always closed the hood on my 62, within about 18" and drop it.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Empty the trunk.

Remove the partition.

Open both doors.

Then try Zippy's method.

They are tight, aren't they? I think that's why we like them. The two fingered method usually gives the best results provided you know where to put your fingers.

:guiness: :D

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
ROSSO Z said:
They are tight, aren't they? I think that's why we like them. The two fingered method usually gives the best results provided you know where to put your fingers. :guiness: :D

We ARE talking about the trunk, are we not? ;) :D :D :D Rosso, you devil you! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I definitely would not make a habit of closing the hood by pushing down on one rear (by the windshield) edge first and then the other. The paint on the hood is not elastomeric, like the paint on the rear of the car, and cracks are bound to show up, either in the paint or, worse, in the hood itself. I just drop mine from about 1 to 1 1/2 feet up. Just make sure your rubber stops are set low enough to allow proper latching.

As for the trunk lid, what's the problem with "slamming" it down, provided that the "slam" is only hard enough to latch the mechanism? Whenever I try to close my trunk lid by pushing down on the emblem, I feel like I'm going to damage the bond between the emblem and the paint... Is that, in fact, the better/safer way to close the trunk lid?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I just lay my hand on the part to colse whether it is the hood or trunk then give it a firm push and it closes fine !!!!!:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have the same problem with the trunk lid...
It is a joke even to try closing it with just two fingers. I pretty much have to slam it to get it to catch

and i don't like the idea of doing that....
:-? :-? :-?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I dunno if I want to explain the two finger method explained earlier by our fearless leader. I was thinking about something else.

The trunk lid is very light. Along with the two prop rods on either side, it is not weighted enough to allow a "soft" closing procedure. Lower the trunk lid then gently push down in the emblem / latch area.

·
Registered
123 Posts
FINN01

You have surmised correctly.

The car is nearly air-tight. If you leave a door open or a window down, while closing the deck lid, the effort required will be reduced dramatically.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts