Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently ive had a few people tell me, "If you get a Z with the intent of making it a daily driver, dont do too much to it mod wise, or it wont be a good car to drive daily."

Anyone else heard this or believe this? Just wondering, why some say this? Thanks.......

·
Registered
155 Posts
uthustler said:
Why do some people say Z's with Power Adders arent good DD's?
Because they're idiots. My car is "slightly" modified ;), and it's all I drive, and can't imagine driving anything else. :cheers:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JWSchmidt3 said:
Because they're idiots. My car is "slightly" modified ;), and it's all I drive, and can't imagine driving anything else. :cheers:

just what i wanted to hear :yeadog:

·
Registered
830 Posts
My car has cam and full exhaust. I love it (and would daily drive if not for terrible Chicago weather). I'm adding a TNT nitrous kit to it because it still doesn't have enough mods. :D I'm not quite sure why anyone would say don't do mods......

·
Registered
290 Posts
Lets see. Poweradders are superchargers, turbochargers and nitrous. Nitrous will not effect the way the car acts at all when not hitting the go button. And a supercharger will be just like stock until you get above 3k RPM. And usually doesn't change the gas mileage either unless you are in boost all the time. Same applies for a turbo system. So I can't see how it would effect your daily driving unless you have a crazy exhaust system like headers and no cats and a loud catback exhaust. Or if you have a huge head/cam setup that idles rough. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
My Z has bolt ons, headers, cats, x-pipe, Vararam, and I drive it everyday all the time. It is my daily driver when I am not deployed and I wouldn't have it any other way.
I did not buy a Corvette to park the damn thing so I can impress my friends with the toy in the garage. A Corvette (newer) sitting in the garage as a trophy is worthless in my opinion. Drive it drive it drive it!!!!!

Mod away my friend. The only things to consider, IMHO, are interior noise and resonance (from exhaust obviously) and the type of ride and handling you are willing to enjoy/endure with the Vette serving duties as a daily driver.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
As long as you don't get "too radical" of a cam I see no problem. My Z is fine for DD with the Magnacharger and cam.

Some cams may make it tough in stop and go traffic with the A/C on IMHO.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
A power adder on a stock motor is a timebomb. If the Z06 is your only car, it's not a good idea to add a blower (or nitrous or heads/cam), IMO. You will break motor internals eventually, which will require a rebuild.

Anything other than simple bolt ons (catback, cold air) has the ability to compromise the reliability of the car. My buddy with a cam on his Z06 recently snapped a valvespring. There are numerous posts on here of people burning wiring harnesses after header installs.

If you have a beater to drive while you repair the car, go for it!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
WayneE has a point on the headers. I installed my headers myself and noted the wiring harnesses. When the headers are installed it seems wise to "adjust" the routing of some of these wire bundles and zip tie them away from the headers. Particularly on the passenger side, I noted that if I would have left the wire bundles routed as per the factory they would contact the headers and more than likely have some melting issues. However, if they are rerouted/adjusted all will be fine.
Mine is a daily driver and I have had no post-header install wire harness burning issues.
On another note, however, prior to installing the headers I did have a wairing harness that was touching the passengerside exhaust manifold and was melting a little. The dealer fixed that under warranty.

The cam issue Wayne brought up, well mine is all stock internals so I wouldn't have any idea if there are issues.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
uthustler said:
Recently ive had a few people tell me, "If you get a Z with the intent of making it a daily driver, dont do too much to it mod wise, or it wont be a good car to drive daily."

Anyone else heard this or believe this? Just wondering, why some say this? Thanks.......
As far as Driveablitly goes, a Z06 is no different than any other car. The more radical they are the less user friendly they are in traffic. :cheers:

·
Registered
155 Posts
WayneE said:
A power adder on a stock motor is a timebomb. If the Z06 is your only car, it's not a good idea to add a blower (or nitrous or heads/cam), IMO. You will break motor internals eventually, which will require a rebuild.
Comments like these are just false. I've driven aggressively modified C5's for the last 5 years, from headers only to H/C packages to my current blower setup, and not once have I ever had an issue not caused by the tuner.

If done right, from an experienced and reputable tuner (i.e., isn't trying to get every last drop of HP for the sake of reliability or gunieu pig testing on customers), a modded Z06 or C5 runs just fine, with proper care and adult/mature responsibility. If you don't take care of it, it will break just like a stocker. The key is a reputable tuner (and not just from the internet). Sometimes, more initial cost = future less expense (trust me). ;)

:cheers:

·
Registered
693 Posts
We all have opinions on different subjects that we don't know enough about. That is why they are called 'opinions'. Now you are getting the facts. There are dozens of things you can modify on your car to increase hp that won't change the drivability or dependability. Most won't even effect your gas mileage or emissions. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
JWSchmidt3 said:
Comments like these are just false. I've driven aggressively modified C5's for the last 5 years, from headers only to H/C packages to my current blower setup, and not once have I ever had an issue not caused by the tuner.

Headers or H/C packages don't have the same issues as the blowers on LSx motors. They are very durable, but will still have issues above and beyond that of a stock car.

And I disagree regarding the blower.

Hypereutectic pistons, high compression and boost just don't mix. You'll get away with it for a while with an absurdly rich mixture, low boost and a light foot, but if you race the car, you will break internals.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I wish I could drive my modded Z everyday, but being a contractor who works in the field everyday during the season with my crew, my DD is a duramax pick-up. I do however use
the Z for business trips and some vacation trips and drive it locally whenever I can. If I could use it as my DD, I would without hesitation, and IMHO it would be a fine daily driver!
Driveability even with the nasty cam I have is not much different than stock, as others have said the key to good driveability and reliability is a good safe tune done by someone who knows what they are doing. :z:

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Who the heck said that, must be those waxer girly mans.

joe

uthustler said:

·
Registered
155 Posts
WayneE said:
Headers or H/C packages don't have the same issues as the blowers on LSx motors. They are very durable, but will still have issues above and beyond that of a stock car.

And I disagree regarding the blower.
Gee, imagine that. :p Try shaving a head 20 thou too much and see what H/C issues you get, or using a cam with too much lift. And we won't even get into state inspections and spring issues which are oh so common with the old reliable H/C packages. A H/C package is "always on". A blower only wears when you use it.

You'll get away with it for a while with an absurdly rich mixture, low boost and a light foot, but if you race the car, you will break internals.
No shit, racing breaks things. :screwy: :roll: If racing is part of your daily driving habits, I might would question yourself.

The post topic speaks of power adders for daily driver Z's, and as always with you, I once again disagree. But hey, what do I know, I only drive one of the highest HP Magnuson's ever built on the stock motor, very aggressively I might add (unless 100+ mph every day isn't aggressive in your book), and the only problems I've had are rear tires that won't last.

But I'm sure you'll find a hole in my theory somewhere. :thumb: :cheers:

·
Registered
155 Posts
WayneE said:
When you build a high HP C5, you let me know how it runs. :)

-- Wayne - http://www.ls6.net/
-- Vortech'd Z06 - 544rwhp/465rwtq
:roll: I was pretty sure I did, but here's my sig again, you must have missed it earlier. Anytime you'd like to lay your graph over mine let me know. :p ;) And if that's not enough, I'm sure there are plenty of LPE and 21st CMC TT and 427 TT cars that would be more than happy to chime in with much more power than mine with the same great driveability and reliability, if 6 & 700 rwhp cars is enough for you.

21st CMC Magnuson non-I/C package w/ blower cam, Belanger LT's, Luk Gold clutch, Borla 4-tip, iForged Flux 18/19" wheels, MCM hood 521.3/470.3 SAE w/ 11's AFR

:thumb: :cheers:

·
Registered
378 Posts
WayneE said:
When you build a high HP C5, you let me know how it runs. :)
What is the determining factor for high HP C5? :-?

500hp? 600hp? 700hp? 800hp?... 1000hp?

I am sure we will all agree a 1,500hp C5 will prolly not be a reliable DD. Is that your point? :-?

A 500 - 600 hp Lsx is pretty reliable, Be Sure .... and FI be it turbo or blower is prolly the safest way to reach that limit... IMNSHO that is :)

:cheers:

·
Registered
413 Posts
many different levels of mods and daily driver quality...if tuned properly you can get pretty radical and still have reasonable street manners...but it also depends on what the driver is willing to accept and still say "drives like stock"...new clutch requires more effort, some chatter and some are just on-off --- headers and no cats mean some smell and radio sound quality deteriates, cam can mean some bucking and surging at low rpms, have to turn off air conditioner before starting and wait 15 to 30 seconds for car to find idle then turn air back on, occasional stall at stop light etc etc. it just depends on your level of tolerance ... I put 30,000 daily miles on a Z with these street manners and loved it, I looked folks in the eye and said "drives like stock" as I climbed thru the window becuase of the cage...there is a sacrifice but for many folks the reward can offset the reduced manners.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts