Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looked on ebay for c5 hoods and a dozen carbon fiber ones came up for $600ish what makes these bad vs the ones available from tuners for $1500-$2500? I am waiting on a mallett hood, so I am not in the market anymore, just curious though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
In my eyes....the simple reason a tuner hood is so expensive is because they take the time to make something that is supposed to fit very well...like factory. That and they want more money from you since you bought an expensive car.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
A friend of mine bough a cheap carbon fiber hood (for an Eclipse) off ebay a couple years ago. After a while it started to yellow. It may not be true for all of the inexpensive hoods, but some of them are cheaper because they're using lower quality materials.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know a bunch of it is probably the vette tax, but with so many available from this company on ebay i was almost positive someone on one of the boards would have tried one out by now

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Even the expensive hoods like mine have fit issues. I have a small "dip" in the front edge of my MCM hood that is quite annoying. I would have expected better fit for $2100. If anyone wants to see the gap Im talking about, let me know and I'll take a photo and post it up.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
spdrcrj said:
Even the expensive hoods like mine have fit issues. I have a small "dip" in the front edge of my MCM hood that is quite annoying. I would have expected better fit for $2100. If anyone wants to see the gap Im talking about, let me know and I'll take a photo and post it up.
I'd like to see it just out of curiousity. The MCM hood is my favorite aftermarket hood and I had heard it fit pretty well.

·
Registered
971 Posts
IMO and others, the ACP hood has a superior fit.

You do not want your hood to look like a cooked potatoe chip. I would be very wary of ebay.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

This circled area is where there is a dip in the hood. It's plainly obvious to the touch when you rub your hand over that area.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SMFCPACFP said:
They have a high markup and anyone who would replace a perfectly good hood, has money burning a hole in their pocket.
thats on the list of other perfectly good parts i've replaced on my car
shocks
brakes
motor
exhaust system
interior
seats
airbags(replaced with saftery monkey)
steering wheel
seatbelts
you get the point... :ity:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
$2000 is not all that bad when you compare it with the viper hood assembly that is somewhere in the $8K to $10K range.

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
I see the dip and that is the first defect on an MCM that I've seen published!!
Mine bolted up without a problem and minor adjustments!! Check "my garage"!
I know :eek:o: I paid 2K for the hood, 2K for the paint and blend and I have this dimple I see everytime I drive the car :flaming:

Sorry?
Ken

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
My ACI hood was almost exactly the same cost as a replacement stock hood from GM. The body shop that installed it told me they thought it was a very quality part when they got it delivered. I didnt want anything that looked too radical, just needed to fit a Magnusson under it. I think my hood was priced very fairly. Sounds like some of you guys spent a lot money on the hood mod, I never even thought about spending that much. It's just a hood.

Re: fit and quality :A lot of the "fit" of the hood has to do with who is installing it. I've seen Z's with same hood I have (at my dealership) that look terrible. Higher on one side, uneven gaps, etc. Luckily the owner of the shop I dealt with was a serious Vette guy (had his built/restored '67 sitting next to my car) and told me he spent 6 hours getting the fit perfect, with the bumpers and other adjustments. Any concerns I had about an aftermarket hood fit went away when I saw what he had done. He didnt charge me extra for the time, he just wanted it to look right.

I think I got better results getting the hood installed and painted by a Body shop that was very into Vettes, rather than leaving it to my tuner's guy. Once the hood was on, all the tuner had to do was focus on the Mag install.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
robiferretti said:
thats on the list of other perfectly good parts i've replaced on my car
shocks
brakes
motor
exhaust system
interior
seats
airbags(replaced with saftery monkey)
steering wheel
seatbelts
you get the point... :ity:
You might just as well go into the car building business. :roll:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
SMFCPACFP said:
They have a high markup and anyone who would replace a perfectly good hood, has money burning a hole in their pocket.
Heck, why even buy a Vette? I had a prefectly good Celica that could get me from point A to point B before I sold it to buy the Vette.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
spdrcrj said:

This circled area is where there is a dip in the hood. It's plainly obvious to the touch when you rub your hand over that area.

Man, that's pretty noticeable. MCM didn't offer to replace it or do something to make it right?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems with your MCM hood - first time I heard of that with MCM too. The only problem I have with my MCM S/C hood is all of the attention it gets when I am out and about..

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Blu,

I had it painted before it was installed on the car. I figured that even having it replaced would be a waste since I paid $900 to have it painted already. I decided to live with it. I posted the picture to show those who purchas an aftermarket hood, they might want to test the fit prior to having it painted.

Jim

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
spdrcrj said:
Blu,

I had it painted before it was installed on the car. I figured that even having it replaced would be a waste since I paid $900 to have it painted already. I decided to live with it. I posted the picture to show those who purchas an aftermarket hood, they might want to test the fit prior to having it painted.

Jim

Good advice. I definitely will when/if I replace mine. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts