Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emailed Chevrolet asking why I did not see Onstar on the option list! Is it standard now? Received back a reply Not available on the 2006 Z06! Seems like a Safety factor is missing hear for us daily drivers! :mah:

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I wish you could have mine off my Tahoe. I don't like the junk mail, email and telephone calls that an OnStar account generates. Not to mention, big brother can track you and shut you down at anytime. I hope they lose my # when the subscription runs out.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cave Man said:
I wish you could have mine off my Tahoe. I don't like the junk mail, email and telephone calls that an OnStar account generates. Not to mention, big brother can track you and shut you down at anytime. I hope they lose my # when the subscription runs out.
Never had it but I look at it like if I was ever in a car accident by my self and was knocked out they would know my location and come and save me because my air bag deployed. Seems far streathed but possible! Remember you will be in a rocket ship :lol: :lol: :jammin:

·
Z06 WinterFest Coordinator
2,865 Posts
curvesman said:
Never had it but I look at it like if I was ever in a car accident by my self and was knocked out they would know my location and come and save me because my air bag deployed. Seems far streathed but possible! Remember you will be in a rocket ship :lol: :lol: :jammin:
Ya, the rocket ship that GM can monitor!!
Speed, engine rpm, missed shifts :-?
Keep your On Star!
Too many people with cell phones to worry about an accident!
I want my warrantee claims to be exclusive of a record of my driving habits :bmad:

Ken

·
Registered
252 Posts
The very idea of a system that can monitor my location in my 500hp sports car is terrifying.

They can unlock your doors to get your misplaced keys. How long before they verify your speed by monitoring the distance between two points and notify the cops? Not an idea I like...at all.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
The DBK said:
The very idea of a system that can monitor my location in my 500hp sports car is terrifying.

They can unlock your doors to get your misplaced keys. How long before they verify your speed by monitoring the distance between two points and notify the cops? Not an idea I like...at all.
This has been my concern since this technology started entering the main stream.

OnStar is currently collecting and storing a lot of such data - they have just said it is for "in-house use' - who knows when it will get subpoenaed ....

·
Registered
252 Posts
RC45 said:
This has been my concern since this technology started entering the main stream.

OnStar is currently collecting and storing a lot of such data - they have just said it is for "in-house use' - who knows when it will get subpoenaed ....
No doubt. There is no conceivable reason for them to keep track of any such data. Who's to say who'll be the first person convicted of some crime related to their driving? It's all just inching down the slippery slope.

Tin foil hats=engaged.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Cave Man said:
C Man, I couldn't have said it better.... Maybe for five dollars a month, but on my two recent cars I have never used it in the free two years.....

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
proexpert said:
I don't think On-Star belongs in a Z06, ever. JMO.
AGREE!!

This is exactly what I've been saying about bastardizing the Z06. In addition to On-Star, there should be no run-flats, no GPS, no COUPE, no power antenna or CD changer or fog lights or...whatever. I guess those "new" to the Corvette tradition don't understand what a Z06 is supposed to be all about. Next we'll have an A4 option. :roll:

Charlie

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
NYCHASM said:
AGREE!!

This is exactly what I've been saying about bastardizing the Z06. In addition to On-Star, there should be no run-flats, no GPS, no COUPE, no power antenna or CD changer or fog lights or...whatever. I guess those "new" to the Corvette tradition don't understand what a Z06 is supposed to be all about. Next we'll have an A4 option. :roll:

Charlie
100% agree... I love taking folks unfamiliar with the Z for a drive... and they ask if they can listen to the radio... I say "Sure"... after about 5 minutes they just give up.. :sneaky:

Between the open windows I insist on, the Borla XR's and the road rumble they soon realize what I mean when I say I love that my car is brash, abrasive, hard-edged and obnoxious... ;) :lol:

·
Registered
830 Posts
1. Because you'll have to keep your freakin' hands on the steering wheel!

2. Optional US Rand McNally Roadmap availabe upon request at your local gas station. ;)

·
Registered
891 Posts
I read an article reporting that the FBI can hack into Onstar and listen to convestations in the car. I never want it in my car!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Weight, weight, weight. The Z06 is supposed to be the hot rod, race version of the Corvette. The more ginger bread, the more it weighs.

·
Registered
469 Posts
HAHAHA... after reading through the extremely uninhibited responses to the initial question... I think it's pretty safe to say GM didn't put it in the car because they knew the mass of the target audience would despise it! :lol:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Kens06 said:
Ya, the rocket ship that GM can monitor!!
Speed, engine rpm, missed shifts :-?
Keep your On Star!
Too many people with cell phones to worry about an accident!
I want my warrantee claims to be exclusive of a record of my driving habits :bmad:
Ken
Almost too late, Ken, unless you want to "go way back" in model years.

Quote from 2004 Chev. Impala (no, I don't have one).
ESPECIALLY Note the first sentence, your mileage may very in your manual.

. . . . Some information may be stored during the regular operations to facilitate repair of detected malfunctions; other information is stored only in a crash or near crash event by computer systems commonly called event data recorders (EDR).In a crash or near crash event, computer systems, such as the Air Bag Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) in your vehicle may record information about the condition of the vehicle and how it was operated, such as engine speed, brake applications, throttle position, vehicle speed, safety belt usage, air bag readiness, air bag performance data, and the severity of a collision. This information has been used to improve vehicle crash performance of future vehicles and driving safety. Unlike the data recorders on many airplanes, these on-board systems do not record sounds, such as conversation of vehicle occupants.

Also check an "Accident Reconstruction" site which has all the details on the airbag module crash recorders.
It is reprinted it from Oct. 2000 "Law and Order" magazine.
http://www.deltacrash.com/article.htm#What It Measures

Conclusion
At the Vetronix training course, Trooper O'hara reminded the audience that the CDR system is not a substitute or replacement for conventional accident investigation and reconstruction methods. It's merely another tool to assist the investigator in learning the facts and increase accuracy. "We can't rely solely on technology," O'hara said, adding, "but the way I see it, it's the DNA of motor vehicle accidents."

·
Registered
475 Posts
the only thing I like about it is the phone.....it is nice to have a built in phone, but when my free year expires.....no more......

1 - 20 of 34 Posts