Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night after dropping a friend off, I heard a light tapping coming from the right rear quarterpanel area. I pulled off to the side of the road only to find a 1/2 inch sheet metal screw stuck in my rear tire. Luckily I caught this before it penetrated the tread. It was stuck in only about 1/8 into a tread block. I pulled it out, leak checked it and was on my way.
The moral of this story?.........
Finding all sorts of ways to eliminate road noise is not the best idea. This is a race car. One that makes a lot of noises that aren't typically found on normal cars. After a few months of getting used to the sounds it makes...this little screw, as subtle as it was...stuck out like a sore thumb. Had I driven any further on it, I surely would have had a flat, on a car without a spare. Something to ponder.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
You are 100% correct with your advice! Driving involves more senses than people realize. We see, hear, feel and smell many differant things as we get around in not only our Z's but most any car. Imagine how many more accidents we would have if we drove strictly with the input our eyes gave us! Bill

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Agreed. Was going to put a partition in my car, but I will rethink that particular move. I have gotten to the point where I don't hear it when I'm driving. And when I'm in Joey's Eldorado... It's almost ghostly quiet.:eek:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sigung86 said:
Agreed. Was going to put a partition in my car, but I will rethink that particular move. I have gotten to the point where I don't hear it when I'm driving. And when I'm in Joey's Eldorado... It's almost ghostly quiet.:eek:
Speaking of partitions, I've got a neat idea.....I'm going to make a partition out of red window netting. It will give a visual separation between the cockpit and trunk, add a new red gadget to match my harnesses and fire extinguisher, yet still allow you to hear whats going on behind you.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Joyful noise!

VettTheRipper said:
The moral of this story?.........
Finding all sorts of ways to eliminate road noise is not the best idea. This is a race car. After a few months of getting used to the sounds it makes...this little screw, as subtle as it was...stuck out like a sore thumb.
Some have a sense for "off normal" noises and others don't. I gave my adopted daughter a Datsun wagon rather than trading it it. One day she called to say the right front suspension had fallen out. I said didn't you hear noises or feel changes in the handling? She looked at me like I was hearing noises. I like to hear the car! Z06Y Lady, still listening, :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts