Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original Z06 was to be a FRC or notchback as some call it.
I noticed in the survey that Don put up that most would like to see the notchback on the new car.
You can thank this years change in the ALMS rules for the change in body style.
But at the same time because of the ALMS rules the engine went from a 6.4 liter to the 7.0 liter.
Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Although I like the FRC or notch-back, the change will allow for better handling at speeds above 150 because of improved aerodynamics. It will also allow the Z06 to reach a higher top speed because of less drag. It will also put all 1999 to 2004 FRC or notch-back into the history books as having a very unique and special styling which is very :coo: IMO .

·
Registered
670 Posts
IT L GO said:
Although I like the FRC or notch-back, the change will allow for better handling at speeds above 150 because of improved aerodynamics. It will also allow the Z06 to reach a higher top speed because of less drag. It will also put all 1999 to 2004 FRC or notch-back into the history books as having a very unique and special styling which is very :coo: IMO .

Less than 35,000 FRC & Z06 total production for 6 years. That's almost equivalent to one full year of total C5 production. Maybe this distinction will help hold the depreciation down. ;)

·
21,354 Posts
IT L GO said:

:yeadog:

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
As far as the new Z, I would have preferred the FRC style as it was the one thing that set it apart from the regular Vettes. Getting above 150 isn't probably in my plans anytime soon after I buy the new Z but I'm sure it is for others who track theirs.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I am sure the ALMS was instrumental in the choice of 7.0 and you have to like that. However, if you look at one of my other suggestions pertaining to offering the corvette buyer with the flexibility to "build" his own vette with his / her own options applied to all 3 body styles. Then a person could have his / her version of the car they like the looks of along with the performance that fits their desires. It still allows the C6-R to use the hatchback body for racing needs while meeting the 7.0 rules.

Don

FRC Tom said:
I noticed in the survey that Don put up that most would like to see the notchback on the new car.
But at the same time because of the ALMS rules the engine went from a 6.4 liter to the 7.0 liter.

·
Registered
590 Posts
FRC Tom said:

Thanks Tom,

As usual you are right on the money with your info.. :thumb: The new rules mean that you have to sell something a lot closer to what you race..and we are the lucky ones with all of the race track tech that's in the content of the new Z06...racing does improve the breed!!!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Of course, GM doesn't have to race in the ALMS or any other series at all. That's a choice.

Manufacturers often use competition rules to justify actions. If anybody has a reference for the applicable ALMS rules or their wording, I'd be interested.

Aerodynamically, the C6 Z06 is worse than the base coupe- over .31 versus .285 c/d.

Since GM isn't bragging, it's probably worse than the C5 Z06 notchback, which was also in the low .31's. Overall, the new car's taller, wider front has to give it a higher total drag than the C5 Z06.

Not quite what the pr hype might lead one to believe.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Steve Tillman said:
Thanks Tom,

As usual you are right on the money with your info.. :thumb: The new rules mean that you have to sell something a lot closer to what you race..and we are the lucky ones with all of the race track tech that's in the content of the new Z06...racing does improve the breed!!!
Improves the breed.....and ups the price! :mah:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
rwd said:
Of course, GM doesn't have to race in the ALMS or any other series at all. That's a choice.

Manufacturers often use competition rules to justify actions. If anybody has a reference for the applicable ALMS rules or their wording, I'd be interested.

Aerodynamically, the C6 Z06 is worse than the base coupe- over .31 versus .285 c/d.

Since GM isn't bragging, it's probably worse than the C5 Z06 notchback, which was also in the low .31's. Overall, the new car's taller, wider front has to give it a higher total drag than the C5 Z06.

You make some good points.

CD on a C5 coupe is .29
CD on a C5 Z06 is---.31
In a group conversation with the late John Lingenfelter, he said the the handling of the C5 FRC got downright scary above 190 MPH and that the C5 coupe did not handle at high speeds near as well as the old C4. I would image the wider rear fenders hurts the CD a little bit on the C6 Z06. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2001Z06 said:
I am sure the ALMS was instrumental in the choice of 7.0 and you have to like that. However, if you look at one of my other suggestions pertaining to offering the corvette buyer with the flexibility to "build" his own vette with his / her own options applied to all 3 body styles. Then a person could have his / her version of the car they like the looks of along with the performance that fits their desires. It still allows the C6-R to use the hatchback body for racing needs while meeting the 7.0 rules.

Don
Don ole' buddy, how are you?
Don't be surprised if they make a 4th model. You do remember the big surprise? :sneaky: ;)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hi Tom,
I heard there was some rumor about a big surprise. I guess I'll have to wait and see what it is, unless you want to give some hints.

I am still kicking around. I have been out in Austin for the past 8 months. I sure do miss Florida. The job market in my field of engineering has been pretty poor over the past few years and I think it is only going to get worse with all of the out sourcing to India and China. So I am getting out of that industry. I have decided to sell my Z06 and move back to the Melbourne area. I am going to try start something on my own out side of the chip design and verification world.

I hope everything is going well for you and your family. I hope to see some time when I get back home.

Don

FRC Tom said:
Don ole' buddy, how are you?
Don't be surprised if they make a 4th model. You do remember the big surprise? :sneaky: ;)

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
FRC Tom said:
Tom
Would that 4th model have the word "Ray" in it?? :pp:

Jack

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
rwd said:

It's true that most people don't realize that the real aerodrag is based on the CdA (drag coefficient times the frontal area). Of course, the car manufactures only quote Cd and they never mention the other important half of the equation, frontal area (A). You could have a real "slippery" (low Cd) but huge area which will add more drag as you have eluded to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts