Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start making the molds for wider quarter panels for those of us who want wider tires and wheels and don't want them to stick out. Any thoughts on those of you who have wider than stock wheels, like Grand Sport wheels, on what a quarter panel should be widened to? 1"? 2"? Any suggestions would be appreciated, I don't want to try to sell something that won't do the job. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Will the wider quarter panels require a wider rear fascia? Ever since the C5 came out, I thought it would look great with wider quarter panels bolted up to a wider rear. It would make the car look so much stronger.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am getting ready to model one for the molds and I am right at that question. If I make wider quarters that taper back to the stock rear would allow someone to go with a wider tire/wheel setup with just adding quarters. Doing a wider fascia with the quarters I would think, would limit your customer base because then they would have to buy the whole rear package. What do the rest of you think. I have to make up my mind quickly since we are getting ready to start molding. Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, I am trying to do some market research here on what will sell and what you guys will be happy with so I need some replies. Don't just look, reply too, even if you are not interested yourself I am sure that each of you will have good feedback. I am leaning towards making the quarter panels 2" wider and following that all the way back making the rear fascia 4" wider total. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think widening the rear is a good idea, It will allow a wider rear wheel to fit inside better without kicking stuff all down the lower edge of the rear fascia. This makes the kit more costly but adds in cleanliness. I am with you on wide wheels, and personally, tubbing the car only creates problems for the lowered ones with rubbing the tranverse leaf springs. I question whether you may have to tweak the side rocker panels as well, since they are affected in front of the rear quarters. It would be cool if you could integrate a scoop or louver to add some interest and that way it could return to the door more rapidly without looking funny. I included a pic of what I have in mind since it is kind of hard to explain. (I'm sure you guys can make the thing look better than my drawing) I always wanted to design aftermarket stuff for cars!

Brian

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Looks good! The ZRls were about 2 inches wider than a stock C4 across the rear if memory serves me. With the planned increase in power to match and exceed the ZR1 in 02 and 03, wider tires would make better use of it. C5s with tires hanging out in the wind remind me of ricers rides. Good luck!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe that the ZR-1's were 3" wider than the C4's and the same width as the current C5. I think that that is what I am going to tool for is a 2" wider quarter and 4" wider overall, that would give it a nice muscular look and would look great lower than factory.
If anyone is interested in further information please feel free to email me. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts