Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the standard C6 front rotors in place of the C5 front rotors? Both rotors are 12.8” diameter, 1.26” thick, and directionally vaned. The C6 rotor has a few improvements though. It weighs about 2 lbs more, has asymmetrical inner and outer cheek thicknesses, and uses the new “J” flange between the hat and rotor disc sections.

I do not know if the offsets of the 2 rotors are the same (or close enough). Of course, the 2 lb weight increase is not an advantage if you don’t need it, but enough people have cracked the C5 rotors that the extra heat sink might be worth a try.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found that thread when I did a search before asking my question (trying to use reasonable posting etiquette), but it does not address using the 12.8” front C6 rotors. I’ll admit that I didn’t read all of the matches I got when I searched for “C6 rotors”, but I read 30 minutes worth.

Regarding that thread, an adaptor bracket would be required to adapt the 13.4” rotor, and that rotor has some “issues”. It is not available left and right handed; the passenger side rotor must run “backwards”, or the incorrect direction for its vanes. Also, it is X-drilled. Lastly, it is VERY heavy. The inner cheek averages being about .360” thick and the outer cheek about .390” thick. I would estimate that the 13.4” rotor weighs between 23 and 23.5 lbs. All of that extra weight might lower temperature spikes enough to offset the propensity for cracking of the X-drilling, but then why endure the extra weight? And there would be extra weight from an adaptor bracket. And the probability that 18” wheels and tires would weigh more.

I think that trying the 12.8” C6 fronts might be a practical way to reduce rotor cracking at high-speed events with a minimal $ investment. Hopefully someone has tried it and can tell us.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts