Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Corvette Z06
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a bone stock 2007 Z06 3 months ago. I'm loving the car, but have caught the bug to start doing some minor upgrades. So far, I have installed a Halltech intake and am scheduled to have the heads worked and a dyno tune in the beginning of August. I installed the Mild to Wild switch and feel that the car sounds decent with the valves open, but I still find myself wanting a bit more volume. I've been looking at a few axle back and cat back exhausts. So far, I've narrowed it down to the Borla Atak axle back, B&B Bullets axle back, LG GT4 axle back, Hooker Blackheart axle back (both with and without mufflers, and the Magnaflow Competition cat back. Of the ones I have listed, which would be the loudest? Will they be significantly louder than the stock exhaust with the valves open? From personal experience, do any of these drone a lot more than the stock exhaust (I notice a bit of droning between 70-75 with the stock exhaust and the valves open, but it isn't enough to drive me crazy). Will they provide any power increase? I've heard that a cat back or axle back is really just for sound and not performance gains. Also, how difficult is it to remove the stock exhaust and install one of these on a C6 Z06? I was able to install the Halltech intake without any difficulty and have ramps, jack stands, a socket set, and torque wrench. Thanks ahead of time for the help and information!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I put Corsa's on my car because I wanted something that was a bit more aggressive at idle, and loud but not obnoxious at WOT. The Corsa's do not drone, so that was also a factor in my decision. I personally don't like the sound Borla's make, its to hollow. When I had mine installed my technician said he only liked a few brands because they fit right out of the box with no problems. Those were Borla, Corsa and Billy Boat.
As for the mods you have already made wait until you get everything done before tuning. Otherwise none of the changes you have made will do squat.
Be careful about a "dyno tune" make sure your tuner does a safe tune with correct AFR, ignition tuning etc. A hot tune with to much advance will destroy your motor in no time. Also dyno tunes tend to be oriented to WOT and not everyday drive-ability.
As for getting you heads redone it will probably cost as much to redo the heads as it will cost to just buy either AFR or WCCH heads. I wanted to keep my stock heads and had them "redone" and a mild port job but it was $3K + and I could have gone aftermarket for that.
You also may want to look into getting you injectors re-flowed. The stock injectors duty cycle will be beyond their capacity after you have made all those changes, and if you don't have you injectors flowing enough fuel, correctly you are just leaving HP and TQ on the table. If you don't make all the pieces of this puzzle you are building fit right, all you did was spend a bunch of money and have a car that doesn't run a well as a stock Z.

·
Registered
2007 Corvette Z06
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put Corsa's on my car because I wanted something that was a bit more aggressive at idle, and loud but not obnoxious at WOT. The Corsa's do not drone, so that was also a factor in my decision. I personally don't like the sound Borla's make, its to hollow. When I had mine installed my technician said he only liked a few brands because they fit right out of the box with no problems. Those were Borla, Corsa and Billy Boat.
As for the mods you have already made wait until you get everything done before tuning. Otherwise none of the changes you have made will do squat.
Be careful about a "dyno tune" make sure your tuner does a safe tune with correct AFR, ignition tuning etc. A hot tune with to much advance will destroy your motor in no time. Also dyno tunes tend to be oriented to WOT and not everyday drive-ability.
As for getting you heads redone it will probably cost as much to redo the heads as it will cost to just buy either AFR or WCCH heads. I wanted to keep my stock heads and had them "redone" and a mild port job but it was $3K + and I could have gone aftermarket for that.
You also may want to look into getting you injectors re-flowed. The stock injectors duty cycle will be beyond their capacity after you have made all those changes, and if you don't have you injectors flowing enough fuel, correctly you are just leaving HP and TQ on the table. If you don't make all the pieces of this puzzle you are building fit right, all you did was spend a bunch of money and have a car that doesn't run a well as a stock Z.
Thanks for the input! I will take a look at the Corsa exhaust as well. As for the head work and tune, I will be taking it to Race Proven Motorsports to have their cylinder head package (with advanced induction ported and polished heads) installed and then tuned. I plan on installing the exhaust before the tune to make sure the tune is unique to all the mods I have.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,820 Posts
Exhaust sound is subjective as depends on age of person, their hearing good/bad, your drivestyle, etc
so what 1 person thinks is great another does not like so really your choosing plus who is in the passenger seat
might not like your choice and gives you hell for it :)

CAT backs do NOT gain performance, it is all about the tone of exhaust
You could though gain some low end torque by installing a X-pipe (not H type) close to engine

As you doing the work, need to get the back end high enough to get the tailpipes which wrap around the rear end so need the free space to get the pipes around and out

Also may need to remove many bolts that hold up the pan that is mounted below the drivetube so best is having electric or air wrench to get them off/on easier

As to "dyno tune" that is a lazy and ill informed tuner person looking to make a quick buck with little effort and does not allow to really tune the PCM for all engine conditions that help better then going into WOT

You really need someone who really bases their whole business on doing real good overall tuning from startup through WOT including if A/C is on or off, hot weather. type of gas used to how you drive your C7

1 - 4 of 4 Posts