Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked this question in several threads pertaining to lowering the c5 but never really got an answer of any kind. What kind of 60' times are you guys with lowered z's getting? I am running nitto 305/35/18's on the rear and have a best 60' of 1.786 but i usually get a 1.8-1.9. I dont heat the tires up much though. I would like to lower the car but not if my 60's are going to suffer badly. Does anyone have any experience with a before and after test perhaps? any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
John

·
Registered
967 Posts
I would suspect that by lowering the car, you'll have less 'travel' in the rear suspension. This can't be conducive for your weight transfer on a hard launch.....

Hopefully we'll hear from someone that has more experience on this, b/c it's an answer to a question I've been wondering also.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
JohnS said:
I have asked this question in several threads pertaining to lowering the c5 but never really got an answer of any kind. What kind of 60' times are you guys with lowered z's getting? I am running nitto 305/35/18's on the rear and have a best 60' of 1.786 but i usually get a 1.8-1.9. I dont heat the tires up much though. I would like to lower the car but not if my 60's are going to suffer badly. Does anyone have any experience with a before and after test perhaps? any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
John
Lowering the car on the stock bolts won't hurt your launch. In fact it will likely help. Many of the serious drag guys with out cars lower them to help the car squat better. Some even lower the rear slightly more than stock bolts will allow to help on the launch which seems to help as lonk as you don't screw with the rake too much so you don't get squirly on the high end. This is my first hand experience. Check my sig.
Furthermore, I see no negatives to lowering the car. It launches better, handles better and looks better.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
robz said:
Lowering the car on the stock bolts won't hurt your launch. In fact it will likely help. Many of the serious drag guys with out cars lower them to help the car squat better. Some even lower the rear slightly more than stock bolts will allow to help on the launch which seems to help as lonk as you don't screw with the rake too much so you don't get squirly on the high end. This is my first hand experience. Check my sig.
Furthermore, I see no negatives to lowering the car. It launches better, handles better and looks better.

i was always under the impression that lowering the car reduces the squating due to less suspension travel? but if your getting 1.4 60's thats good enough for me. I may lower mine this week. More input is definately appreciated as this seems to be a popular topic of new commers but no real good information on the subject. :z:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I have two video's of 9 second C5's and both of them were Slammed. :D

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
JohnS said:
i was always under the impression that lowering the car reduces the squating due to less suspension travel? but if your getting 1.4 60's thats good enough for me. I may lower mine this week. More input is definately appreciated as this seems to be a popular topic of new commers but no real good information on the subject. :z:
Of course you can go too far as well. One of my buddies lowered so far it actually hurt his launch. The fenders were literally rubbing the tires. But lowering on stock bolts is not very radical at all. Its a good move all the way around.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
robz said:
Of course you can go too far as well. One of my buddies lowered so far it actually hurt his launch. The fenders were literally rubbing the tires. But lowering on stock bolts is not very radical at all. Its a good move all the way around.
thanks for the input. i think ill lower my car this saturday :D :zboobie:

·
Registered
4 Posts
FYI, I had my car lowered by Dick Guldstrand. The trick is not to just lower the car, but to have a four wheel alignment. I set mine up for aggressive street and open track. The Z is smooth in sweepers, where as the stock set up was twitchy going thru corners at speed.

FYI: Dick also mentioned that he has yet to have a Z on his rack that had the correct torque settings (for suspension bolts) from the factory. He basically blueprints the suspension for what the car was designed for, agressive driving. Of course if you drive slow, you won't know the difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts