Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in CA and am thinkg of the purchase of an X-1 cam from MTI to go with my heads. I have been told by people here that the follwoing tricks will work to pass the sniffer under California's rigirous smog standard.

1. get a cut out after the cats leave it open for the test

2. prior to taking the car in have an LS-1 edit tune done and tune the car to run AS LEAN as possible

think this will work or I have been talking to idiots

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
With cut-outs, wouldn't it be too noisy? Would they care about noise level at all?

I'm also interested in what others have to say.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had cut outs on my old Z28 i had not cam but the levels it put out were really low, the smog guy could not beliuve it, i wasnt sure with a cam thoughespeically a bigger cam

·
Registered
61 Posts
Be careful on trying to lean the A/F ratio via a tuner to pass the CA. smog inspection. I've tried that before on one of my other cars (Pxxsche, not a C5) and discovered that as you lean out the mixture, your CO and HC readings go down, but your NOx (oxides of Nitrogen) readings go up. Failed the test the first time, then figured it out with the help from some other tuning fanatics from Rennlist. Good luck on your mods -- I'm thinking of doing long tubes and a cam as well....

Greg W.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts