Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed wind noise on the driver's side since the car was new, I finally took it into the dealer last week.

The tech was very knowledgeable about vettes, he popped the inside door off and tried to adjust (counter clockwise) the Jack screw. He said it was all the way in (tip in).

He checked the weather stripping along the back and top of the door area, and said he would order me a new one, as it didn't look like it was fitting tight enough.

New one came in overnight, he put it in, looked good.

Drove the car home. Did not get a chance to check it out as it just started raining. (first time in the rain for me)

Waited until today to take it out, sure enough, once you get over 65 the wind noise is back!! :jawdrop:

Tonight I looked at the windshield near the top on the driver's side, and I could see a open space, you could actually see where the glass ends and a quarter inch space to the edge of the molding.

Checked the passenger side windshield, and everything fit tight, no spaces or gaps.

Is it possible the wind noise is coming from the windshield, and not the door?

augydog

·
21,378 Posts
It's the design. Because the glass doesn't reside in a channel, when you get going at speed, say 65 mph in this case, there is a negative pressure that develops on the outside of the glass and it pulls it away from the seal and thus the noise. There is supposedly a TSB that builds up the seal so that it protrudes more but I think it's a band aid at best. This problem was addressed on the C6. with a channel unfortunately it doesn't help us.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Anything is possible, you can really see a gap in the windshield?
Can you feel around the molding and notice a void in that area from the rest of the windshield molding?

Jack

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
gsjack said:
Anything is possible, you can really see a gap in the windshield?
Can you feel around the molding and notice a void in that area from the rest of the windshield molding?
Jack
Yes, I can see a gap between the windshield glass and the rubber molding going up the side of the windshield.

I'm sure water would get in there without a problem.

But, is it possible the wind noise I'm hearing is from that area?

The glass on the driver's window seals as good as the other side or better, the passenger side doesn't make any wind noise.

augydog

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
If you can actually see a gap between the windshield and molding:eek:

I'd be back at the dealer on Monday, that sounds scary Bro. :(

Jack

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gsjack said:
Jack
I'm sure the only thing the dealer will do is put some sealant in the gap. I can do that myself.

augydog

·
21,378 Posts
gsjack said:

Jack
Me too. I would tell the dealer to make it just like the passenger side! Don't settle for sealant!

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
augydog said:
I'm sure the only thing the dealer will do is put some sealant in the gap. I can do that myself.

augydog
I wouldn't screw with that, could turn into a nightmare. :jawdrop:

Jack

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jub jub said:
Me too. I would tell the dealer to make it just like the passenger side! Don't settle for sealant!

The gap is only at the top side of the windshield, not all the way down. Its about 1/2 inch from the top of the windshield down the side.

If I let them fix it, it would be a major undertaking, they would probably keep the car for days in the body shop, and it would really get messed up. Plus, I don't want anybody driving it but me. Guess I'm a little anal :D

augydog

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
It's an 04 man, shouldn't be a gap in the windshield, could lead to more probs down the road.

jack

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
They hire out a company that does window repair, body shop usually does not handle it. It might need more than just some sealant, could be a bigger prob. Or it might be just a small one, i wouldn't mess with a windshield blowing out driving down the highway at speed.

Jack

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gsjack said:
It's an 04 man, shouldn't be a gap in the windshield, could lead to more probs down the road.
jack
Could this be where the noise is coming from? :guiness:

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
augydog said:
Could this be where the noise is coming from? :guiness:
If there is a gap, air has to be coming in :bmad:

Jack

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wind Noise FIXED

augydog said:
I noticed wind noise on the driver's side since the car was new, I finally took it into the dealer last week.

The tech was very knowledgeable about vettes, he popped the inside door off and tried to adjust (counter clockwise) the Jack screw. He said it was all the way in (tip in).

He checked the weather stripping along the back and top of the door area, and said he would order me a new one, as it didn't look like it was fitting tight enough.

New one came in overnight, he put it in, looked good.

Drove the car home. Did not get a chance to check it out as it just started raining. (first time in the rain for me)

Waited until today to take it out, sure enough, once you get over 65 the wind noise is back!! :jawdrop:

Tonight I looked at the windshield near the top on the driver's side, and I could see a open space, you could actually see where the glass ends and a quarter inch space to the edge of the molding.

Checked the passenger side windshield, and everything fit tight, no spaces or gaps.

Is it possible the wind noise is coming from the windshield, and not the door?
augydog
Sure enough, it was the windshield. Last night I put some silicone windshield sealant on, and took it out today.

No wind noise at 65, 70, 75, 80 ,85 :D

augydog

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
augydog said:
Sure enough, it was the windshield. Last night I put some silicone windshield sealant on, and took it out today.

No wind noise at 65, 70, 75, 80 ,85 :D

augydog
Glad that solved your prob Bro :thumb:
Does the silicone show at all or did it only take a little to seal it?

Jack

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't have to use too much.

Where the gap was it was barely overlapped with the black trim molding, so you would have to bend over to really tell its there.
If you didn't know, you wouldn't see it.

Thanks for everyones reply's. :z:

augydog

1 - 16 of 16 Posts