Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the "other" forum as well...I want to fix this!

I was cleaning my fiancee's truck last weekend. She hadn't washed it in a looooong time. There were some bugs on the windshield that simply weren't coming off...so I used the "coarse" side of a dishwashing sponge. Everything felt fine, and the bugs came off.

Now, I use these on glass dishes *all* the time with no scratching. But now there appear to be fine scratches on the windshield from using this (which of course prompted much profanity from me once I dried the car). Is there any product I can use to restore that complete smoothness to the glass? I'm extremely frustrated here. I don't even think she notices the fine scratches on the windshield, but I do!

I appreciate any help you can offer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was told by a dealer that there was no way to fix them. They may not have known how though. If you find out a way, let me know too! I haven't tried the polisher yet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Try a product called Chromium Oxide. Sometimes it is sold in a kit which includes a polishing disk that fits onto a drill. It removed wiper scratches on my car. Just follow the directions and keep the work area cool with water. I used a spray bottle. If you cant find it you can send me a message.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. Thanks for the advice, guys. EVILKITTEN - did you do the same thing?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
You can try using "Barkeepers Friend" and a mild buffing action. That might do the trick for you unless the scratches are too deep.
Barkeepers Friend is a product similiar to Comet or other cleaning products but much less abrasive.

Before I did anything in your case, however, I would clay bar the window first to get a acurate read of how deep the sctatches are.

Just a thought.

Jim

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
DirtyZ06 said:
I posted this on the "other" forum as well...I want to fix this!

I was cleaning my fiancee's truck last weekend. She hadn't washed it in a looooong time. There were some bugs on the windshield that simply weren't coming off...so I used the "coarse" side of a dishwashing sponge. Everything felt fine, and the bugs came off.

Now, I use these on glass dishes *all* the time with no scratching. But now there appear to be fine scratches on the windshield from using this (which of course prompted much profanity from me once I dried the car). Is there any product I can use to restore that complete smoothness to the glass? I'm extremely frustrated here. I don't even think she notices the fine scratches on the windshield, but I do!

I appreciate any help you can offer.
They make a polishing kit that is used on aircraft canopy's. It contains various grades of sandpaper and a polishing compound. I used it on my removable top. Had a big ugly scratch from one of our hurricanes. I borrowed it from work. If you want more info please PM me.

D.J.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use Gel-gloss from any hardware store if the scratches are fine. You can do it by hand or use a buffer for more action. Use water to thin the compound for very fine action. This stuff is used for polishing fiberglass and that stuff can scratch very easily.

I use this stuff to polish my windows all the time. The wiper blades glide across the glass and many times, no blades are needed at all. Kind a like Rain-X.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Stumbo said:
I use Gel-gloss from any hardware store if the scratches are fine. You can do it by hand or use a buffer for more action. Use water to thin the compound for very fine action. This stuff is used for polishing fiberglass and that stuff can scratch very easily.

I use this stuff to polish my windows all the time. The wiper blades glide across the glass and many times, no blades are needed at all. Kind a like Rain-X.
Is the brand name Gel Gloss? Would a store like Lowe's or Home Depot carry it or just hardware stores? Thank's for the in-site on this product. Sounds like it may have a place in my garage.

D.J.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Gel-gloss is the brand name. It's normally used for fiberglass so I usually find it in the bathroom section of the store or wherever fiberglassed products are sold.

I've also used it to shine/clean and remove light scratches from metal, chrome, paint, plastic (it can leave swirl marks on soft plastic), fiberglass and more. It will remove wax so you need to re-wax the area, if necessary. I haven't tried it on dark colored cars.

Be sure and test a small area first with a thin mixture to determine if it's suitable for your purposes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Eckler's sells the kit you're looking for. You can also go to a local glass company and buy some "cerium oxide", this is all I will use. I have removed light wiper scrathes and sand speckles with mild buffing.

·
Registered
292 Posts
DirtyZ06 said:
There were some bugs on the windshield that simply weren't coming off...so I used the "coarse" side of a dishwashing sponge.
A tip for next time: try spraying the insect residue with hot water and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes (respraying every couple of minutes) before washing the car. The water will reconstitute the residue and most, if not all, will wipe off.

This is a good tip for any type of insect/bird doo-doo.

Anything left over that's too baked on, try some "goof-off" or "goo-gone" next time. It will pretty much disolve the insect residue. If the stuff needs scraping, try a soft vinyl/plastic tip-like the tip of a plastic spatula to gently work the stuff off the window/paint.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Home Depot stocks Gel Gloss in the bath cabinet aisles. It is a pinkish colored metal can(w/ white and blue writting about 4"w x 7"h x 1 1/2" deep. Good stuff. :thumb:

·
Registered
292 Posts
70boss302 said:
Home Depot stocks Gel Gloss in the bath cabinet aisles..... Good stuff. :thumb:
Glad it worked out for you. What did you use it on?

Gel-gloss has save my butt many times, especially for removing fine/light scratches. For fine action, I dampen a soft cloth, spread it on the cloth and then start polishing. As the application cloth becomes saturated with Gel-gloss, you can just move to a new area and start polishing w/o adding more Gel-gloss until you need it. While I haven't tried it, I'm sure Gel-gloss could be applied before drying your car after washing.

Using a 500 watt work light and the reflection showing the swirls in my paint, with a thin mix, I've removed swirls by hand on my silver BMW.

Gel-gloss is so versatile, it may take one or two tries to get the right mix for each type of surface. For most surfaces, full strength works fine with a gentle touch. It's may be best to start off with a thin mix (kinda watery) to be sure and not scratch sensitive surfaces.

As I stated before, it's best to try a small area and see if the results meet your expectations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts