Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get my windows tinted on my Zo6 & didn't know the process was going to be so difficult. I would like to do 20% on the sides & 5% on the back. The back window however as I'm sure those of you know who have done it has a dot matrix on the top of it. From what I have learned there are basicly 3 options:
1. special tint 3M makes that is designed to cover the dot matrix without sanding (not vinyl) however it is expensive as hell. $380 with the rest of the car being done with metalized tint (remaining part of back window & sides).
2. metalized tint throughout including dot matrix. sanding will occur. $100 for just rear window & I'm guessing another $100 or so for sides.
3.metalized tint throughout except dot matrix which will have vinyl covering it. $?
What exactly have you guys done with your cars & if you don't mind me asking $?
Does vinyl look bad? Sanding? All these options are through 3 diff. installers. The 1st. one is a guy I have done business with before & I know does good work... the other 2 who knows?
Thanx
Chad

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I had a vinyl strip in black cut out for the matrix up top. It would better than tint would, but not completly perfect. If you do it right, i think it would fill in better.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My guy didn't even tell me that it would be an issue. It just got tinted over on mine I guess. There is a slight line at the top of the window but it is hardly noticeable. You may be able to just get away with tinting over it, like mine. That really ticks me off that they didn't say there would be any issue, probably over charged me to. But like I said I really didn't take any notice till you guys started talking about this dot matrix (maybe I'm just an idiot).

·
Registered
844 Posts
Same here. Mine was just tinted over and it looks fine--but if your anal, you'll want to go the other route. Personally regular tint worked fine for me. :eek:

·
Registered
788 Posts
My shop tinted the back window over the matrix. At first there was some air trapped. But like he said, it sealed up nice in about a week on its own. It now looks fantastic. Any good installer should be able to handle it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the insight everybody. I think I'm going to go with option #3, vinyl over the dot matrix & probably 15%Side - 5%Back. Now I just need it to stop raining so I can take it in. He's going to charge me $200 for everything & he does good work as I just had my GF jeep tinted (guinea pig vehicle so to speak).:)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
My tint guy tinted over the dots. He did a good job... that's why I've been going to him for years.

Good luck,
Alex

·
Registered
32 Posts
I paid $120 to have 15% put on all 3 windows. The rear window looks great, but the tinter spent a little extra time on it to make sure the tint went on nice over the dot matrix.

looks great.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Melsy said:
Same here. Mine was just tinted over and it looks fine--but if your anal, you'll want to go the other route. Personally regular tint worked fine for me. :eek:

I have limo on the rear and it's also over the dot matrix and looks fine. Here in MI is is illegal to do the sides. They will tint the sides but it is not worth the hassle of being pulled over.

DROID

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I have limo tint.

you CAN tint the dot matrix without sanding it down , you just need to find the right shop:thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts