Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I noticed the little button for the window washers at the end of the windshield wiper column switch was hanging out.
When this happens the windshield wipers run and will not shut off. I reinstalled it but it just popped out again two days later. Also, I had been having a problem with the window washer pump coming on by itself.
I have it taped on and the washer pump disconnected for now.
I have heard that this can be an expensive repair and just wondered what it might cost to have the switch replaced.
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The other day I noticed the little button for the window washers at the end of the windshield wiper column switch was hanging out.
When this happens the windshield wipers run and will not shut off. I reinstalled it but it just popped out again two days later. Also, I had been having a problem with the window washer pump coming on by itself.
I have it taped on and the washer pump disconnected for now.
I have heard that this can be an expensive repair and just wondered what it might cost to have the switch replaced.
Thanks
Steve
Steve,
This must only happen to Torch Red, 2002s...the SAME dang thing happened to me...I'm taking it in under the Major Guard warranty/ but, I'm getting an answer that this MIGHT not be covered...
What did you do?...and how did it turn out?
THANKS
:coo:
Kevin

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The Bic lighter fix! Yup, it works. First, a temp fix is to put 2 pieces of plastic between the 2 contacts that trigger the washer motor in the winshield washer stalk. I cut up a plastic TV dinner tray. A centimeter wide and a couple of centimeters long. The perminent fix is: One of the original springs. For the other spring use a regular cheap Bic lighter spring. Cut about a centimeter off the Bic lighter spring. Place these 2 springs in the stalk. Push the button on with the picture squirting upwards. There are 2 prongs on the button (2 and 10 o'clock) and they have to be pushed in deep enough for the 2 catches at the ends of the prongs pop out over the plastic inner wall of the stalk. I got this off the Corvette Forum web site. It really works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Bic lighter fix! Yup, it works. First, a temp fix is to put 2 pieces of plastic between the 2 contacts that trigger the washer motor in the winshield washer stalk. I cut up a plastic TV dinner tray. A centimeter wide and a couple of centimeters long. The perminent fix is: One of the original springs. For the other spring use a regular cheap Bic lighter spring. Cut about a centimeter off the Bic lighter spring. Place these 2 springs in the stalk. Push the button on with the picture squirting upwards. There are 2 prongs on the button (2 and 10 o'clock) and they have to be pushed in deep enough for the 2 catches at the ends of the prongs pop out over the plastic inner wall of the stalk. I got this off the Corvette Forum web site. It really works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This Bic lighter fix totally works! I have a 02 convertible and this washer button popped out years ago. I found one spring and the button seemed to be fine. None of the prongs were broken. I found this thread this morning and had an old Bic lighter. Got my husband to get the spring out of the lighter. Cut it to the same length as the original I still had. Attached the two springs to the posts on the inside of the button (the Bic spring was a little tight but it goes on). Lined the button up with the holes for the springs on the stalk and the picture squirting upwards. As you mentioned, I had to push it in deep enough. Took a couple of tries but finally worked. Amazing! A thread you wrote 7 years ago is still helping people. Gotta love the internet. Thanks so much!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts