Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I cut away the excess stripping, bought some windshield primer paint to touch up any scratches that I may of made with the blade. The molding was nice and soft from sitting the house. I set up the horses and opened the box for the new factory windshield. Cleaned the windshield with GM glass cleaner. Put the molding on. Vacuumed the area for any dirt or dust. Covered the new dash. Covered the fenders. Had three tubes of the GM weather strip sealant, and I put a nice high beam all around the roof, windshield posts and the cowel. Took a three inch strip sealant about a quarter inch thick, placed it near the serial number on the windshield, so when windshield goes into place, the sealant won't ooze out and block the serial numbers. Picked the windshield up carried it over to my friend on the other side, wearing plastic latex gloves, and started from the top end of molding corner, laid windshield corner to corner top end flat, then slowly dropped windshield down into bottom cowel without removing the factory window stops or swinging the fenders out like GM recommends. Put two pieces of tape on each end of the windshield on top, taped to the roof to hold the windshield from moving down. Put the heat up in the garage to 70 degrees, put the windshield cowel cover back in place, left the windshield wipers off until it dries for 24 hours. All that's left now is the weather stripping for the doors, channel and finishing molding.

Molding fits better now than the factory one fitted. Went in real nice and looks great. In fact, the whole car really looks and sounds great now.

PS. I am giving myself a raise.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Want to do mine? Sounds like you did a very careful job.

My HUD is blurry and the dealer said the windshield has to be replaced. I am worrried that they are going to screw up the paint or cause water leaks or wind noise.

Why did you replace yours?

- Charley

·
Registered
135 Posts
Can you do mine too?
I caught a big rock in the windshield after having my car for only 2 weeks.
I was stopped at a red light in the right most lane. A truck passing the on the other side of the road (2 lanes away) kicked up the rock and dinged my windshield. :mad:
I don't want the dealer to mess around with my car, so I'm just living with the ding for the time being. Luckily it the crack is pretty small and didn't spread. :cheers:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Remember, the Z06 has thinner front windsheilds as compared to non-Z06 vettes. So if you order a new windsheild, make sure you order the correct one. Unless you don't care to save a few lbs then just get the regular windsheild.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
abouttime said:
Can the thicker windshield from the standard vette be installed in a z06 or will there be a problem getting it to fit?
I put the lighter Z06 in the hardtop. Same fit. Just make sure they bring up the glass to meet the finishing moldings on the windshield post so you don't get any windshield. Other than that its the same installation. Can't tell the difference between the two.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Speaking of windshields they make 4 different ones for the C5.
Coupe/Conv/HTP - No HUD
Coupe/Conv/HTP- HUD
'01 Z06 (thinner glass)
'02 Z06 (thinner glass&HUD)

So, you guys that need replacement windshields make sure they put the right one in.

carzzy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts