Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any type of windshield protection film installed?
Thinking it may be worth it if it saves you from a windshield replacement.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,935 Posts
Guess you need to learn how HUD functions and why there is a clear change of the area of windshield where hud reflects off of
The fact GM has 2 part numbers and pays to stock two windshields, says something

As been posted before :
The difference between the factory hud and factory non-hud windsheld is the non-uniform-thickness sheet between the two layers on the HUD version... and nothing more.

If you viewed the HUD straight on into the windshield (at a 90-degree angle) - the dual layers of the windshield would cause no problems. But since we look at the HUD image on a sloped windshield... the two layers can cause a very slight image shift (it's called "parallax'ing").
It's not all that obvious, though; but "technically" there is a second image ever so slightly off center from the first image - when viewing through a sloped dual layer windshield.

They correct this on the HUD windshield by using a non-uniform-thickness "clear sheet" (that goes between the two windshield layers). It negates that double image problem; by realigning the two images exactly back on top of each other. The two layers of the windshield are not perfectly parallel to each other on a HUD version.

Note: aftermarket non-hud windshields are known to severely distort a HUD image.

In the end you need to go back and read what I posted, and used words like Might, may and test as depending on the driver's eyesight they may not notice a difference reflecting HUD off a non-hud windshield

As it is, the OP pointed to a vendor's website where when you get to the warranty part it says ONLY 2 years timeframe. If the Corvette is not driven all the time, that cost for 2 years should be thought about.

Not knowing what their total product costs are plus the installation costs,
it maybe an expensive gamble, this works OK for the OP as to HUD visual

So again test for this before buying or have vendor give in writing that HUD contents will not be degraded.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You shared a lot of words, but none of your words covered where you tested the protective cover he mentioned. I have owned several cars with HUD, to include my ZR1.... this forum was designed to empower and share real knowledge; unfortunately, your rebuttal didn't prove your initial comments.

·
Super Moderator
667 Posts
Let's keep it civil please. We have a low amount of posting and sharing here as it is. ;)
We are all friends here, right?

I have read several threads in another form on the windshields. They windshields seem hard to find, even more so the HUD windshield. I also know that the Z06 windshield is thinner for weight savings.

I have no idea how the film will affect the HUD and I think that is all racingvette was saying! Be great to get a test piece and see if it makes a difference. Hopefully it doesn't affect the HUD and you can get it done with no issues.

Please keep us posted on what you find! I am sure curious.

Reactions: CTYANK2
1 - 11 of 11 Posts