Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone know why windshield washer fluid would turn into gelatin? I found this in another car of mine, it was at the top of the washer reservoir. The fluid was a few years old if that matters.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
I have NEVER even heard of such a thing! :eek2: Is the resivoir still in good shape? The only thing I can think of is if the washer fluid started to dissolve away the inside of the container? I dont even know if that is possible! May want to flush the system out good with some water. Good Luck! :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GargelBlazter said:
Perhaps the fluid has condensed into that "jello" because the water in the fluid evaporated over time.

That is ineresting although I have never heard of such a thing. And besides my washer fluid was never very low. Also the tank was not dissolved and is in good shape after I cleaned it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,573 Posts
That is strange. I'll bet someone put the wrong stuff in the resevoir. Or it could be something left over from an old Steve McQueen movie. Be careful. It could be dangerous.

Old farts will know which movie I am referring to. A really bad movie.

:crazy:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Resist said:
Anyone know why windshield washer fluid would turn into gelatin? I found this in another car of mine, it was at the top of the washer reservoir. The fluid was a few years old if that matters.

:puke:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Looks more like a paper towel got lost in the reservoir (while cleaning maybe) and has degraded into that. Seems more unlikely that the fluid itself turned into that. Have you ever tried draining the reservoir and sticking a paper towel in there to get the last moisture out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,190 Posts
Whatever it is, IT'S NASTY! :eyes:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
21,378 Posts
ROSSO Z said:
That is strange. I'll bet someone put the wrong stuff in the resevoir. Or it could be something left over from an old Steve McQueen movie. Be careful. It could be dangerous.

Old farts will know which movie I am referring to. A really bad movie.

:crazy:
The Blob...oh yea! :jammin:

As far as the gelatin, I've never heard of it either. :screwy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
itchynackers said:
Have you ever tried draining the reservoir and sticking a paper towel in there to get the last moisture out?

I believe I already said I cleaned the reservoir out. And it wasn't a paper towel. The reservoir had water in there when I bought the car and I had the dealership put washer fluid in. It might be possible they put something else in. Sure looks like when Dex Cool is old and gels up though. I have never heard of washer fluid doing this. It was only on the top of the reservoir tank and didn't effect the lines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
Most WW fluid is simply water, alcohol and coloring. It won't turn in to that, which if anything, looks like a giant blue booger to me. Some fluids have other stuff like glycol to help melt ice. That probably wouldn't prodiuce a giant lungie, either.

Someone put something in the reservior they shouldn't have. You could probably get a Material Science Lab to FTIR it and tell you what it was made of, though it would hardly be worth the expense.

Whatever it was, I hope you didn't get any on ya, It's icky.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top