Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what happened, started the car, hit the washer to clean the windshield and now the wipers stay in the low setting....it will go to HIGH, but not intermittent or off....

ANyone have this problem and if so, is it something that can be fixed easily? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT...

Mike

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It is most likely a build up of leaves/debri in the drains for the wiper motor. Open the hood and reach under the driver's side wiper arm. Below that is the wiper motor. On the bottom of the motor are 2 rubber cones that are meant to let water drain out of the motor. Occasionally they'll seal closed and retain water. There is a split on the bottom of each. Peal it open and pull out the gunk. Once it dries out it your wiper should turn off.

·
Registered
119 Posts
mdbennes said:
Not sure what happened, started the car, hit the washer to clean the windshield and now the wipers stay in the low setting....it will go to HIGH, but not intermittent or off....

ANyone have this problem and if so, is it something that can be fixed easily? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT...

Mike
Did a search on "wipers" for you. Here is the content for a possible fix from Rocket Sled. Hope it helps.

Z06 Authority

02 QS
Zmiles: 70

RocketSled is offline I had this problem with my 98. Here's the scoop...

The wiper motor is located in a "tub" at the rear corner of the engine compartment, at the firewall, just in front of the driver side. The tub has a couple of large drainage holes with sleeved rubber extentions that protrude down from the bottom of the tub by about 3 inches. The bottoms of these sleeves are constricted (smaller than the tops by a substantial margin). I think this is to keep water from splashing up into the tub from under the car. Unfortunately, the sleeves load up with crap like "tree sperm" (aka Sphagnum Moss or the like) and the tub doesn't drain well. If you have some really heavy rain (which is when I first had the problem), the wiper motor gets submerged and water gets into the motor assembly. There's a cam-drive switch inside the motor that tells the wiper controller that the wipers are at the "home" position and that the controller can park the wipers. Water in the system keeps the contactor from breaking circuit. The wiper controller never gets the signal that the blades are in the home position and so it never tries to park the wipers. The wipers run continuously.

I was able to "fix" mine by removing the bezel in front of the windsheild (the thing that covers the wiper linkage and motor, and cabin vent inlet) and; clean out the drain holes so the stupid tub won't hold water (just poked a stick into them and pushed the crud out the bottom), removed the connector from the wiper motor and then heated the motor assembly with a heat gun for about 1/2 hour. I also blew some "wire drier" spray into the connector before plugging it back together (though I'm not sure it helped/matter).

This all dried it out nicely and the problem went away.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great info guys...thanks...I will give that a shot...

Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried it without success. The two sleeves were clear...and they are still doing it. Is there a fuse I can pull to keep them from working? I looked in the fuse box and couldnt figure out which one it was...

Mike

·
Registered
378 Posts
This happenned to me when I first bought my Z new. Turned out to be the circuit board. Fixed under warranty. I had to pull the fuse to stop the damned things from scoring the glass.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not good for me since mine isn't under warranty anymore...

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Don't drive it, till it rains!! HEHE. Sorry.

Pull the fuse. Take it in and get a cost on a fix.

I usually now just email my Service Manager with the problem and he emails me back with the fix and/or costs and parts needed. If you don't have such a "good-guy" Service Mgr, I'll be willing to send a msg to my SM.

Let me know.
Bill. :zboobie:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Bill...if you don't mind, I am here in NJ and just here temporarily until August, so I don't know anyone in this area. I plan to talk to the service manager at a dealership tomorrow, but if you have more info, that would be great...thanks.

mike

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Ok.

Just emailed him tonight. I'll get a response during the business day tomorrow. I'll post it up for everyone.

Good luck.
Bill. :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
mdbennes said:
Is there a fuse I can pull to keep them from working? I looked in the fuse box and couldnt figure out which one it was...

Mike
There is a fuse panel in the passenger side footwell under the floor mat. There is a diagram on the lid showing which fuse to pull.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well...had the first problem fixed on the Z...the wiper switch was bad and had it replaced. So, 351.00 later :mad: , its fixed. Almost scared to turn them on now...hopefully thats the last thing to go...

And it wasn't under warranty....

Mike

·
Registered
119 Posts
mdbennes said:
Well...had the first problem fixed on the Z...the wiper switch was bad and had it replaced. So, 351.00 later :mad: , its fixed. Almost scared to turn them on now...hopefully thats the last thing to go...

Mike
:jawdrop: Sorry to hear about the wiper problem. That must be one heck of a switch. Hopefully the weather this weekend is sunny and you really get to enjoy the car :coo:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
mdbennes said:

Mike
I just found another reason not to drive in the Rain ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts