Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....

I have been noticing lately that ever so often, I have problems getting the car in first gear when stopped in traffic. All I have to do is release the clutch and press it again and it goes into gear, but I was just curious if anybody knows about this and if I may have a problem w/ the tranny coming up.

thanks for your help...
danny

·
Registered
174 Posts
mine has kicked itself out of first gear at red lights but not recently. i now pull the stick into second and make sure to seat it into first before i let out the clutch. mine is a pain to get into reverse (my mustang was too) and sixth is a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Every now and then at a light mine is kinda hard to get into 1st. I just jiggle into 2nd and back into 1st and it goes no problem. I dont think you are going to have a problem. I had a 2002 Z28 Camaro and it was difficult to get into 1st every now and then also. :cheers:

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
yehp same here
always easier to shift if a car's moving haha but ya' CAN'T if you can't find 1st!

aaarrggghhh!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Tranmission

My will get stuk in between 2 & 3 :cry: Like to day . I had Had Him tell that happen :blush: I have put 45,000 miles on her :yeadog: I have used the Trans SO Bad :sneaky: So long . I have a B & M shifter in her . ;) So no more power Shifting :cry: . But it has been so good to me :usa: I will have to take Her in in time . Don't like to lose :zboobie:

·
Registered
882 Posts
I take it you have the stock shifter? A friend had a problem with it popping out of 1st in a C5. He put in a new shifter (Hurst in this case) and never had the problem again. Who knows. ;)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Someone told me that is was a clutch problem, that the clutch is not releasing all the way.

Peelin' Out
Ted

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I'm from the old school, I always put my gear in second gear before going into first or reverse. :cheers:

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've noticed mine to have it on little "quirks" also. I think it's the nature of the beast.........like someone else said! :z:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well thats definitely a relief.......

Nature of the beast is fine with me.... I can deal with it.

thanks to all for shedding some light on the situation for me.

danny

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you sit for a while in neutral with your foot on the clutch then the transmission quits spinning, so to put it in first the gears may not mesh easily. you said releasing the clutch then pressing again solves the problem so i'm guessing that's all it is.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
No problems finding first or reverse. Of course, I have a BPP....One of the first things I got rid of was the stock shifter.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've had that problem. Then it started grinding going into first. Every once in a while is probably normal. Nearly every time you pull up to a stoplight (like mine did) is probably not normal.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You just have to get the synchros aligned and that's what you are doing when you let the clutch out . It's to be expected

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Don't fret. Quite common. It even happens on my new C6.

I just launch in second or re-press the clutch and then back to first gear. Never noticed it much in the beginning, but I now get that problem at a stop light from time to time.

-Bill. :sneaky:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Colin Frolick said:
If you sit for a while in neutral with your foot on the clutch then the transmission quits spinning, so to put it in first the gears may not mesh easily. you said releasing the clutch then pressing again solves the problem so i'm guessing that's all it is.
I never sit at a light with the clutch in anyway ... always put the tranny in neutral to save the throw-out bearing. When the light changes, I put the clutch in and shift into first gear. Since the tranny is probably still turning slightly, it seems to go into first rather easily. Once in a while, it will be stubborn, but I just let the clutch out, then back in to try again and it usually goes into gear without much effort.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Colin Frolick said:
I agree 100%

1 - 20 of 20 Posts