Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
entered in a non points event today. what a blast. first time with the Z. been competeing with a bmw. i suck at it but realized with the z what i lack in skill the car will compensate. almost makes me want to buy a scoobie awd. just kidding. props to THSCC.

my question is regarding launch technique for autox with the Z. saw an extensive post for drag launch, do i incorporate the same technique for autoX ?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Yes you do, Congrats on your first Auto X :z: :z:

·
Registered
129 Posts
IT L GO said:
Yes you do, Congrats on your first Auto X :z: :z:
I don't necessarily agree. The SCCA does not allow perfectly straight starts in Solo II just so you don't need to do a really hard launch. With the starting lights a fair distance for the start line, some sort of turn before the lights, and no need to "cut a light", take it a little easier on your car.

Of course Pro Solo is another matter.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Exactly.

For non timed, local, regional and National Tour Solo II the timing doesn't start untill the light beam is broken so that it is not necessary to have a drag type start and a controled normal start with maximum traction will be the fastest. You of course want to accelerate as quickly as possible after the clock starts.

In Pro Solo you use a drag strip type start, in fact using XMas tree drag lights. You must 2 light stage. Reaction time is important, cutting as close to 0.500 seconds as possible. If you cut below (0.499) you will DQ. Most use between 2500 and 4500 RPM depending on track conditions. Getting traction as quickly as possible is important. I have run some Pro's that are 70' straight out of the box. So hitting 75-80 MPH is not out of the question. The key is to start in 1st gear and then shift into 2nd gear as quickly as possible to manage the torque much better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Many of us stayed in 1st at the Atlanta Pro, but that's not normal, and was actually my fault.

I'm still trying to figure out how to launch the car. We were launching in Atlanta at around 2,000. The car is pretty finicky launching on the stiff sidewall tires. Any tips would be greatly apreciated.

What 60' time should I expect? I was getting 2.2, Braun got 1.9. Is the reaction time included in the 60' time? Braun cut a .503 that run and I was in the high 600's.

Aaron

Edit:

here's the video from my PAX winning run from yesterday:

full video (16 mb): http://z06racing.kicks-ass.org\autox\video\052205run6-full.wmv
compressed (5 mb): http://z06racing.kicks-ass.org\autox\video\052205run6.wmv

·
Registered
129 Posts
SCCA_Z06 said:
Is the reaction time included in the 60' time?
Not in drag racing. Presumably not in Pro Solo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts