Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wanting an 02-04, but my local dealer just took a black 01 in on trade with 6800 miles that looks clean. He said they will be putting a sticker of 33,900 up but would take $30,500 if i was serious :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyway, would you guys get an 01? Or would you hold out for a newer one? Heard the 01's had the oil issue, and not sure if this one had been fixed or not. But does that price sound fair or a tad high? Just looking for input, thanks for all yalls help so far........

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Not all '01's had an oil problem. The oil problem had 2 sources.

Early production had an oil ring problem that could be serious and needed an oil control ring rering to fix.

The other problem was with the Valley Seal in the PCV system which was minor and with a quick and easy fix...replacing the seal.

Most cars with a problem have been fixed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh ok, thanks for clearing that up. That being said, what differences are there between say an 04 and an 01? Besides the lack of HUD availability. Thanks......

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I am the orginal owner of an 01. I took delivery in August of 2000. I have had very few problems and those that I have experienced have all been addressed via the standard warranty or the GMPP extended warranty. I think the issue of your budget and what kind of deal that you can find would be the main concern. Also do you want a stock form car or are you thinking of having the typical bolt-on mods or maybe head & cam etc.

Having said that, I have just decided to sell my 01 quick silver Z06. Here are the particulars to my car. If you are interested please feel free to send me a PM and I will answer any questions about my car and about Z06s in general. Good luck!

Don

For Sale: 2001 Z06 Quick Silver Red / Black Interior. All available options except body side molding, 24,000+ miles by original owner, 5/50 GMPP extended warranty good thru 9/2005, All 4 GY F1-SC less than 4000 miles. All mods, other items and original stock equipment go with sale of the car.

Over $3,000 in Mods.
Mod items: BPP long tube step headers, BPP Vortex Rammer with 1 extra filter, BPP shifter with silver & black knob, BPP street x-pipe, Borla Stinger quad tips, HallTech carbon fiber air bridge, 178 degree thermostat, MSD plug wires, fan controller, shortie antenna, black Lloyd's Z06 mats, red/black leather steering wheel wrap, tinted windows - darkest legal.

Stock items included: air box & filter, air bridge, exhaust manifold, Ti exhaust, shifter & knob, floor mats, mast antenna, Z06 video, GM window sticker.

Over $750 in other items
Other items: HallTech carbon fiber SideWinder with 2 filters - wedge filter & PS1000 race filter w/ chrome ring, deluxe C5 seat covers, Noah indoor - outdoor car cover, AutoTap with OBDII cable.

All for $29,500

Don

uthustler said:
Was wanting an 02-04, but my local dealer just took a black 01 in on trade with 6800 miles that looks clean. He said they will be putting a sticker of 33,900 up but would take $30,500 if i was serious :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyway, would you guys get an 01? Or would you hold out for a newer one? Heard the 01's had the oil issue, and not sure if this one had been fixed or not. But does that price sound fair or a tad high? Just looking for input, thanks for all yalls help so far........

·
Registered
244 Posts
OK I have an 01, and absolutely adore the car. I just put a Corsa Indy exhaust on it, lowered her, and am as happy as can be.
My car has 18K miles and seems to be ok thus far.

·
Registered
244 Posts
2001Z06 said:
I am the orginal owner of an 01. I took delivery in August of 2000. I have had very few problems and those that I have experienced have all been addressed via the standard warranty or the GMPP extended warranty. I think the issue of your budget and what kind of deal that you can find would be the main concern. Also do you want a stock form car or are you thinking of having the typical bolt-on mods or maybe head & cam etc.

Having said that, I have just decided to sell my 01 quick silver Z06. Here are the particulars to my car. If you are interested please feel free to send me a PM and I will answer any questions about my car and about Z06s in general. Good luck!

Don

For Sale: 2001 Z06 Quick Silver Red / Black Interior. All available options except body side molding, 24,000+ miles by original owner, 5/50 GMPP extended warranty good thru 9/2005, All 4 GY F1-SC less than 4000 miles. All mods, other items and original stock equipment go with sale of the car.

Over $3,000 in Mods.
Mod items: BPP long tube step headers, BPP Vortex Rammer with 1 extra filter, BPP shifter with silver & black knob, BPP street x-pipe, Borla Stinger quad tips, HallTech carbon fiber air bridge, 178 degree thermostat, MSD plug wires, fan controller, shortie antenna, black Lloyd's Z06 mats, red/black leather steering wheel wrap, tinted windows - darkest legal.

Stock items included: air box & filter, air bridge, exhaust manifold, Ti exhaust, shifter & knob, floor mats, mast antenna, Z06 video, GM window sticker.

Over $750 in other items
Other items: HallTech carbon fiber SideWinder with 2 filters - wedge filter & PS1000 race filter w/ chrome ring, deluxe C5 seat covers, Noah indoor - outdoor car cover, AutoTap with OBDII cable.

All for $29,500

Don
So how much power have you made with all those mods?

Greg

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Dyno runs show about 45 rwhp gain. I had a BPP custom tune and gained another 18 rwhp which had it to about 60 or so rwhp gain over stock. However, I took the car in to the dealer for service recently and they reflashed my computer when they applied the column lock recall. Still it's in the 370 to 380 rwhp range. It runs very nicely. I am only selling the car to free up some assets. It's been paid off for about a year.

Don

VETTEST said:
So how much power have you made with all those mods?

Greg

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't think $31K is high for a 7000 mile Z06...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Got my '01 in October with 15k miles on it (paid $28k). So with only 7,000 miles, it doesn't sound like you are getting a bad deal. NADA book on an '01 with 7k miles is $34,525. I have no regrets about buying mine, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I dig my 2001 Z06 .....but don't buy from the dealer. I'd recommend buying from someone on this site with a history you can do a search on...

With the dealer who knows...but doing a search here...you can get every detail...

I don't think you could pry my 2001 Z06 away from my dead cold fingers even if I were dead..Its that great a car...but....if your buying and staying relatively stock...? for 32 g's...buy an 02 ..they have the HUD...and one of the finest cams in GM's production history..

·
Registered
878 Posts
ditto most of the above-i had the valley cover seal breather prob-fixed under warranty-fix my consumption issue its no big deal-no other prob's with :usa: the car runs great and is quick enough-the money i save you can "mod" to your hearts desire...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Look for an 03, cuz you can get the hud (btw-I don't like hud cars), 20 hp and it is the 50th year of the 'vette. Also, the clutch was weaker in the 01's.

I could have lemon lawed my 01 for tranny issues, but I still have it b/c I like it so much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I moved up from a C3 to virtually the same car "black" in September. Same miles. Same price. Came with a 7yr/70K extended warranty. No problems. I love it. :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I, too, have an 01 with 11K miles and have had no problems with oil or anything else for that matter. It's my last car, along with my last house, last dog.

ITZA Z

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Tell the dealer to do an oil consumption test :z:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I bought my 2002 quicksilver Z06 for $30,000 in November 2004 with 10400 miles on it and from a dealer. It still is bone stock - that will change. I did buy it from a dealer as well. Look around this site for the extended warranty - don't buy it from your local dealer, you will likely get hosed. If you are patient and not real picky about the color (Damn I wanted EB) you will find a great deal. I think the advent of the C6 Z06, especially if it is reasonably priced, will drive down the used C5 prices a bit - hopefully not too much. Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts