Corvette Z06 Forum banner

2001 Z owners - would you do it again?

• I purchased a 2001 Z06 new and never had any problems.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I purchased a 2001 Z06 new and the oil burning problem was corrected under warranty

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I purchased a 2001 Z06 used and the oil burning problem was corrected under warranty

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • It took GM too long to realize they had a warranty issue with the 2001 models

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a first year model

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • I will never buy a first year model again

Votes: 31 55.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a lot of discussion about "I'll never buy a first year model again" and I have had the previous posts by 2001 Z owners.

I have been buying cars since 1969 and have never purchased a first year model of anything; but I'm not going to let what happened to the 2001 Z's influence me that much.

I looked up previous introduction model Corvettes and found the following:

C2 Introduction:
An error was made in creating the roof panel mold in 1963, using the wrong side of the dimensions, such that all roof panels were too small. This left a gap seen in the door pillar above the door latch in all but a few 1963's to 1967. The ones where it is not found were cosmetically covered up with body filler.

C4 Introduction:
1983:
A total of 43 - 1983 model Corvettes were built, but there were so many quality problems with them it was decided to halt production until they could be corrected. By the time the problems were corrected, it was so late into the model year that the car was brought out as a 1984 model which was run for a year and a half. The 1983,s were never sold to the public and the only one that is known to still exist is in the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY.

1984:
The 4+3 Overdrive was plagued with many design problems in 1984 to late 1985 cars. The main problems were an underdesigned bearing in the carrier assembly, a direct clutch thrust washer breakage problem, and a pump sealing problem. The carrier bearing failed because of poor bearing design, bad preload, and poor lube to the bearing. The Direct Clutch thrust washer would break because it could spin in the case. Once broken it would jam in between the overdrive piston and case. This would cause the overdrive to get stuck in two modes and burn up.

2001 Z06:

Oil consumption problems, supposedly in 5% of the cars, fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I bought a first year in '84. It cost me.
I bought a Z06 '02. Piston slap. Traded for a 2003 z06.
I bought a first year C6 coupe and it cost me. Crank pulley problem + other things.
Now I bought the first year C6 'vert and love it. But it's 6 months after release. Big difference.

I guess the answer is don't buy the very first year model, buy the 1.5 year car.

-Bill. :zboobie:

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
No, I would not. Not because of problems, but first year, you pay all the money (MSRP plus in some areas), and this last year, you could buy a new 04 for $5000.00+ less than what I paid for my 2001. Glad I bought my 01, but now that I have it, I can wait a year (or two) before I buy a new one(plus I still enjoy driving my Z ). The prices will be drop, and this will give GM a chance to iron out any problems that may arise. Looking forward to building a 500 -550 HP C6 convertible. :yeadog:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I won't and haven't. Two reasons Bugs and Cost :yeadog:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
No bugs on the following new purcahses:

1984 Coupe
1999 Conv
2000 Con2001 Z06
2002 Z06
2005 Coupe

Would I do it again? Yes, I ordered a C6 Z06 several days ago.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I bought a used 01 Z06 and have had absolutely no problems with oil burning. I don't know if it was fixed before I purchased it or not...but it has not been a problem to me.

At the drags I have raced and beaten newer Z06's...and I am not that good at drag racing. My car dynoed 351 HP and 349 TQ absolutely stock. While I supposedly have the "lower HP" first year model my car doesn't seem to know it. :p

The biggest downside to an 01, in my opinion, is all the smack about what a problem car they are..oil burners. I think most folks would have a real difficult time driving my car and a 02/03 and recognizing any difference.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I bought an 01, one of the early deliveries in Aug of 2000. I had very few problems and had plenty of celebrity status. I got mine for, $44.6K, $2K under MSRP which was $46.6 then. I would not hesitate to buy the 06 Z06 but not for MSRP or over.

I certianly don't feel like GM short changed me. The changes over the next 3 years were minimal at best. With the bolt-ons done, the 01 performed equally as welll as the later years, mine was around 400rwhp with all of the good bolt-ons and tuning.

Cars are not about investment they are about enjoyment. I would rather buy a new one first year than some one elses hand-me down a few years later.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've had seven Corvettes over the last 40 years and IMHO
the last model year is almost alway the best. 62' 67' 96'
& 2004. If you don't need to be first, I feel you get a better deal and a better car.

·
Registered
968 Posts
No problems with 01! The only problem with a sports car like the Z06 is at first you will pay UTA from dealers, as did the first batch of 01s. :mah:

·
Registered
61 Posts
'01 still running strong

32,xxx miles on my 2001 and not a single problem. No oil consumption issues, no steering column problems, nothing but normal maintenance for me.

Would I buy a '01 (or any first year model) again? Sure. Prices for the 2001 on the resale market are finally low enough that you can afford to sink some extra money into the car for some quality performance upgrades.

-Greg W.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I did not purchase an 01 Z but I did purchase an 02 GMC Envoy. I got in in September of 01. Never again. Nothing but problems with thing like wipers that you should never have problems with.

·
Registered
878 Posts
again-some of you guys just worry to much about 1st yr-i have an 01-fixed the valley cover seal and breather-it runs great ...but some of you can wait, and wait , for the "perfect" vette..life is short..do what ever.. the last 20k miles on my 01 have been a blast-with new tires who cares about the 20 hp diff... :screwy:

·
Registered
25 Posts
proexpert said:
No. I bought an 01 new. I felt ripped off when the 02 came out with more HP.
:yeadog:

Plus the 2001's should have had an oil reservoir

1 - 20 of 22 Posts