Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No flames please....just a curious thought.
Would you want a choice in transmissions for your Z?

Yes, I love the six speed, and have always felt a sports car must have a manual shifter, BUT....have you ever considered "what if an automatic tranny were offered?"

I'll post my opinion after.

Zippy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sometimes while sitting in heavy slow moving traffic, an automatic would be nice. Just kick back and put it in auto-pilot.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Zipp,

No auto for me. I wouldn't care if they offered an automatic as an option, but I am not sure GM would feel that an auto "fits" with the car's image.

J

·
0 Posts
This is one of the hottest subjects right now in europe..

The Ferrari 360 F1
The Aston Martin Vanquish
Practically the entire Alfa Romeo line
BMW M3

The list goes on and on..and is growing by leaps and bounds..

The new manual transmission for the new millenium is the formula one driven design of a standard 6 speed with computer activation of the clutch...

Perfect shifts every time..and as a bonus..you can during traffic situations put the car's transmission in to full computerized automatic shifting mode..

Top performance..You choose the gears..gear change speed which no human can match...yet
Heavy traffic..you let the computer do it.

The manual sequential shifting technology offers the best of both worlds..

Choices..and low cost..This innovation adds approximately 120 dollars to the manufacturing cost over a standard 6 speed and yet it costs less than a traditional torque converter standard automatic..(boring)

If Chevy ever decides to offer this transmission..they will see my money...

Do they care..?

I don't think so..since they are practically the largest manufacturer of traditional automatics..it will be a long day in hell before they go to this new option..unless of course their connection with Alfa Romeo leads to a cross over of technology.

I can only hope as perfection in manual double clutching..and matching revs to changes in gears..in every single operation with no chance of over reving sounds intriguing..

The full auto pilot capability for traffic is also important to this native New Yorker..

Lifes got realities...now choose the product that matches the need..

This sequential manual shifter meets them all..

Just my opinion.

PS..this is not a manumatic automatic transmission..this is the real deal that is being used in formula one racing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have an 00 Camaro SS auto, that is the main reason why I got the Z06, just not any fun to drive unless your on the gas, cornering with too much brake is not as fun as down shifting.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Zippy:

No Auto for me. But a true sequential manual would be tempting; however, as Sanz says, I sure would miss downshifting into turns.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Zippy,
My previous car was an anto-C4. It was "OK" but I found myself wanting to play with the gears (even in an auto). With the auto's 4 speeds it always felt like something was missing.... a lot of times at say 30 MPH I wanted to gradually accelerate and 3rd hear was too tall and it would often jump down to 1st! So here I was just trying to speed up a little and suddenly I'm WOT! (had to since it was 1st gear! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif )

My personal choice has always been a manual since I learned to drive (long time ago). My wife completely disagrees however. She thinks a manual transmission is a "problem that's been fixed"! When she says that now, I slap the next gear and watch her head bang against the headrest! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
219 Posts
I like manual - heck, I even like double clutching old non syncros. Showing my age I guess. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

·
Registered
282 Posts
I too wouldn't buy a Z06 if it came only with an automatic. Sequential manual, maybe, but I'd probably still opt for the true manual. I guess I'm conservative. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wouldn't want a auto either. I've always been able to squeeze more out of a car with manual trans on a curvy road. Besides, its what I learned to drive on. My $.02.

·
Registered
228 Posts
When we were at Carlisle last year we chatted with the Corvette team that had done the Z06 about an automatic option. My wife loved the car but wanted an auto. They told us that the issue was the HP and getting an auto that would handle the torque and HP...could not get it through Chevy/GM brass. Apparently they have to certify this stuff through the company. I would vote for the sequential F1 style shifter!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I think they ought to get a nice run of Hewland 6spds like are going in the C5R later this year.

Too bad those transmissions will cost like $20k.

dammit stupid double post

1 - 20 of 25 Posts