Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a review by some guy on roadfly forum... here it is.

Well all I can say is the GM delivered the goods! It IS everything (and more) they said it was going to be, yikes! Pulls like mad, all the way from idle, I thought it couldn't get any more brutal than it was at 4-5k rpm, then I kept my foot in it... It gets faster as it gets faster, if that makes any sense... No torque drop off all the way to redline, at least none that I felt. Admittedly, I was pretty focused at the task at hand so I couldn't think about too many other things while nailing it. Its that fast, one of those cars that just makes you caliber your sense of speed. Not the quickest car I've ever driven, but it is number 2. ('84 930 Turbo 4 speed w/560rwhp was #1). This thing is just brutal fast, wow is all I can say. My female friend in the passenger seat was just giggling with me at how freakin fast this car is, and she's been with me in some pretty hot rides. 60 blows by in 1st gear, by the top of 2nd she's just cookin, only took it to redline in 3rd once as I was well over triple digit speeds at this point, and we weren't in the most conducive area for this type of test drive (Hmmm, Road America would be the place!!!). The powetrain on this car is simply amazing, one of the BEST ever created. Nice and docile, VERY streetable/smooth, UNTIL you dip into the throttle all the way... Then all hell (RE: rear tire) breaks loose! Such smooth power delivery (Thank you Mr. NA engine!), and a flat torque curve. Well flat on an uphill slope!

I've always maintained that I wouldn't buy a GM until they made one with 500hp or more, and 3000 lbs or less... Thats what it would have taken to offset my hatred of their interiors. Well, they got close enough with this ZO6! It IS the new bar for performance "street legal" vehicles. Those engineers at GM must be sitting around scratching their heads trying to decide, "hey, should we REALLY sell these things to the public?" No joke now, a lot of people are going to hurt themselves/others in this car. They almost need to give one a drivers test before they let you buy one, no $hit... Average Joe-Idiot should not own this car, at least if they're ever going to get on it. No issues lighting up the tires in 3rd, I actually had to lift a little to hook back up while north of 100mph...

Handling is superb, I really didnt/couldn't play with the chassis in this regard too much due to where we were driving, but from the little I did get to do, its great. Pretty stiff ride, a bit more harsh than the M3 on stock suspension but not an issue for most of us. Steering feel is a little too light for my tastes in a car like this, even lighter than the M3, but still has great feel/feedback. A little less boost assist would be nice as well as a thicker steering wheel. VERY flat handling, but yet still rather compliant. The ride and handling engineers did a pretty nice job dialing it in. Brakes are GREAT! Only really used them once hard, and wow, finally a car other than a 911 that has decent brakes from the factory. All that would be needed is some higher temp pads for the track. Good feel, short pedal travel for street driving but set up very well for late braking/heel toe. Firm pedal as well, a-typical for most GM vehicles I've driven. ZERO nose dive. Tires are the 1st thing that would go on mine, it was pretty easy to tell that she was riding on runflats, at least while driving on MI ox-cart path roads.

Fit and finish is 100x better than the C5, but IMHO it is still no M3 interior. Still pleasant and functional though. The HUD is stupid IMO, ugly green and not large enough to be that useful (they need to use MIL specs for GUIs). Rear window visibility is pretty bad, but does one really need to ever look behind them in this car? :) Well, maybe to see how many cops are chasing! Gear selector is pretty nice, nice short/clicky throws. She did make a bit of tranny whine or it could have been prop-shaft whine, but only at very low speeds and low throttle inputs (the few times I want on the gas or brakes hard!). If the production vehicles have the same trait I could see this turning into another white elephant "Clunk" type issue... Seats were pretty nice, could use a bit more bolster, but hard to get a one size fits all seat for those fat a$$ red-neck old farts. Head room IS an issue, at least for me if I was wearing a helmet :( Had the seat all the way down, but not too far tilted back, im only 6' but have a long torso. Racing shells with new mounts would cure this.

Overall would I buy one and sell the M3 for it? HE!!LL YES!!! You just have to love a car that "only" costs 65k that will beat literally every street car with doors for under 440k (Carrera GT). It is a super-car at a supersaver price and a liveable interior. A good friend of mine is on the list getting #1 at his dealer, and is going to slap a blower on it right out of the box! Cant wait for that to happen!!! That and I can only imagine what the "blue-devil" will be like... yikes!!!

http://forums.roadfly.com/chevrolet/forums/corvette_c6/6933539-1.html

:jammin: :ity:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

:jammin:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Good review :z: :z:

·
Registered
765 Posts
He's right about the average joe needing a road test.

Some of the early cars have met untimely demises in the hands of less than able drivers in one car accidents.

·
Registered
338 Posts
jdogg said:
He's right about the average joe needing a road test.

Some of the early cars have met untimely demises in the hands of less than able drivers in one car accidents.
I talked to a young GM engineer last week in BG. He had driven the Z06 and must have told me 3Xs or more to be careful. I will heed his caution and slowly break her in and get used to her when she arrives.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man, Oh Man................

·
Registered
765 Posts
Torch said:
I talked to a young GM engineer last week in BG. He had driven the Z06 and must have told me 3Xs or more to be careful. I will heed his caution and slowly break her in and get used to her when she arrives.
I was with the head of the GM Safe Driving program (Jay Minotas) 2 weeks ago and he said that three of the cars had been totalled by inexperienced drivers doing silly things.

·
Registered
131 Posts
this may sounds like a stupid question.....but ....the new z is coming w/ runflats??? wtf?!?!?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Fat a$$ ******* old Farts! Which of us is he talking about. :roll: Sounds like one hell of a ride. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
jdogg said:
I was with the head of the GM Safe Driving program (Jay Minotas) 2 weeks ago and he said that three of the cars had been totalled by inexperienced drivers doing silly things.
Maybe that's how GM is going to reduce head count through "attrition"...

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
So this chap is comparing a C6 Z06 to an M3?

Stock 2001 385hp C5 Z06's blow M3's so far into the weeds it is a no contest.

So basically what we have is that the C6 Z06 delivers stock, what a heads and cam 346ci C5 Z does ;)

Lets hope that the C6 Z06 is easy to take from 425rwhp to 525rwhp - afterall, that's where all the 427ci C5's are at :p

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have driven two, guys. The car performs a lot better than is written above. Controling power was easy for me but I have a little experienced. I can't say much about the interior or exterior because I don't care and did not pay attention. I would say the writer would be impressed if he was comparing to a M3.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
gregg prettyman said:
Fat a$$ ******* old Farts! Which of us is he talking about. :roll: Sounds like one hell of a ride. :D
:lol:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
RC45 said:
So this chap is comparing a C6 Z06 to an M3?

Stock 2001 385hp C5 Z06's blow M3's so far into the weeds it is a no contest.

So basically what we have is that the C6 Z06 delivers stock, what a heads and cam 346ci C5 Z does ;)

Lets hope that the C6 Z06 is easy to take from 425rwhp to 525rwhp - afterall, that's where all the 427ci C5's are at :p
I agree RC!

Sounds like the review was written by a 17 year-old kid who occasionally drives his dad's M3.

:rofl: :ity:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts