Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going down the road and started hydroplaning , did a donut , slid off the road and hit a tree :cen: :mad: :( I was going about 55-60 My boy was with me and he is fine , I got cut up a little by the window glass but am pretty much like I was before . My next issue is how much can the frame take before they total the car out? That tree got it pretty bad :jawdrop: Will send pics soon - Clint :puke:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ouch. The fact no one was seriously hurt is good news since the car can be replaced.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Very sorry to hear about this. Glad your son is fine. I think a good body shop can determine if you have frame problems.

:(

·
Registered
806 Posts
Oh man sorry to hear that. It is only a car, it can be replaced. Glad to hear that both of you are OK.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Sorry to hear :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Z but it is good that everyone is alright. I had two friends killed sliding sideways into a fairly small tree so I would say you're lucky to have only minor injuries.

What tires were on you car? I lost mine in the rain once with the F1's although I was lucky and got it back under control. After that I switched to the Toyo Proxies which are really good in the rain but now I am back with the F1's on my black wheels. When I trade I'll put the original wheels with the Toyo's back on.

Hope it can be repaired as good as not. If not, I hope the insurance settlement is satisfactory.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I'm glad you and your son are OK.

Hydroplaning is the exact reason I bought the Firestone Wide Ovals. They work well in all conditions and may actually have better straight line grip that the F1's. :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Nice To Hear That the people are ok...Bummer :( For the car tho. I too am curious about the road condition/water depth/tire situation. How many miles on the tires ? I have never been out in the rain but from the sounds of things speed should be lower than 55 for these tires. Best of luck with the insurance company.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
:cry:

But happy to hear you are both ok

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Damn, that sucks.....It is good to hear no one was hurt. Wow....I bet your screaming inside.....Like you, i too drive my car (sometimes) in the rain, but I have I guess "ok" street/rain tires. I don't use slicks or track tires at all. I do ok with it even at 75. But when it does rain, I do slow down in any turn, just to be safe.....I am sure we would all like to see the Z pics....Luckily this isn't Germany. You woul dhav ebeen responsible fo rthe tree too! No kidding.....And you know that tree would have then become the prize winning sapling of Bavaria or some crap. Good luck, and let us know what the insurance does to take care of you.....

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
odds are from a 50+ mph hit the car is bent, and realisically it will never drive the same way it did or should. I'd be of the mindset of having it totalled and look for a nice low mile used one, or one modified to your liking here, they're popping up quite frequently now that the C6Z is on its way...

C5Z's are a buyer's market these days, hopefully your insurance company gives you book value.....which is much higher than the majority of us would get selling our cars privately here on the forum.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
It's great you were not hurt. The car will probably be totaled out by the ins. co. It doesn't take much damage, even just body, to total. If the frame's involved, it's a goner.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
of course if they look to sell you back the wreck for a cheap price (you have the option here in NY at least) sit down and add up what you have on the car that wasn't destroyed. Namely that engine.....lots of people doing swaps would jump on the engine harness and ecu in a heartbeat....if I still had my 69 Z28 minus the original engine, or another donor, I'd be PM'ing you right now...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Gosh that is scary. I'm really glad your little boy, and you are o.k. &, I hope the insurance company takes care of you.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Clint-
Sorry to hear of your loss! :cry: So many nice Z06's, taken care of by nice (meticulous) Corvette owners that you should be able to replace the car with one just as good as the one you wrecked. Take advantage of the situation and pick up one with some mods. It all depends if the car is totaled or not. Sounds like you pulled a "Siska".

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Glad to hear you and your son are o.k. Sounds like the car did it's job and gave itself up. When you can walk away it's good. Car's are cheap. You on the other hand can not be replaced. I saw a C4 do the same thing years ago. He lost control in high water and slammed into a light pole. He walked away but the car was toast. His tires looked like they were new to me. It can happen to anyone of us.

D.J.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts