Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, what's the damn deal here? Two FOUR cylinder cars that are just as fast as a stock '02 - '04 Zee, and a hair faster than a stock '01 Zee?!? I'm baffled. I've heard the mantra, "There's no replacement for displacement" many a time, but these cars simply shatter that notion, no questions asked.

Both the STi WR1 and the Mitsubishi Evo VIII MR FQ340 (long ridiculous name, huh?) compete directly with the Z06 - a car with 4 more cylinders, 50-60+ more HP, and a lot more displacement........ I have one question - HOW?

Aside from the fact that you'd have to be on serious amounts of crack to pay $55k-$65k+ for a damn Subaru or Evo, they're really a technological marvel, IMO. The WR1 goes from 0-60 in 4.25 :cen:'n seconds (I've checked a few sites, they all claim the same number)... and the super Evo does it in 4.33.

In all the tests I could find for the '02-'04 Z06, the average 0-60 time was 4.27 seconds... pretty much the same exact numbers as the 4-bangers'. And the 1/4 mile times are the same too. So I pose this question, why/how is it possible for these 4 cylinder cars to tie, if not beat an all american V8 musclecar? I guess anything's possible when it comes to performance mods.... i.e. the 1999 Blitz Skyline GTR R348 has a turbo'd V6, which could beat or tie ANY car out there...they claim 0-60 in 3.0 seconds. Who woulda thought it'd be possible - a Subaru coming in even with a Z06, and a Nissan rivaling a Ferrari ENZO!!? :eek: :eek: There goes logic, right out the window.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It is easy, apply boost until the engine is about to burst, add 4 wheel drive for traction and away you go. I would be a little nervous with all the boost and moving parts 100k miles later though.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
what 3Pedal said :yeadog: .....they are exceptionally quick......the 1st time a STi came screaming after me from a parking lot I was :jawdrop:

to each their own, though......I prefer Ol Yeller

:z:

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's all relative. Put a turbo in Z, line them up and see what happens. Put a V8 in WRX/Evo line them up and see what happens. Wait, will a V8 even fit in these cars? Don't get me wrong, I like the WRX/Evo rides, but there is just something about turning the key and having a V8 come to life.

·
Registered
373 Posts
3Pedal_Z06 said:
It is easy, apply boost until the engine is about to burst, add 4 wheel drive for traction and away you go. I would be a little nervous with all the boost and moving parts 100k miles later though.
Yep...boost a lawnmower and it can go fast. :ity:

Its still good to know that stock Z's have run 3.8-3.9 in the 0-60 jaunt and sub 12's in the 1/4 mile...so they are still faster. :jammin:

·
21,378 Posts
Speeding will get you a ticket!

Stand behind a V8 with a healthy cam and headers! Now stand behind a rice box with a turbo. Rev each one!

I rest my case! :ity: :lol:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Sink enought technology into any car and it can be made to go fast. And at that price, I'd rather be in a Z... :)

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
I had one (WRX STI) this morning that just had to get in front of me in morning traffic and rain. Speed in traffic is a matter of position and he kept losing to me :D. When he did find a opening (crossing three lanes to the right to accelerate and cut three to the left) I just laughed. Cars like that are bear bait they can catch the speeding ticket with cops that are inevitably up ahead then clear the road for me. :D When it is all said and done I am in a Z06 and they are in a Suburu :lol:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Those $hitboxes are built on the ragged edge as far HP versus CID. The General left an easy 100 RWHP on the table when they released the Z06. There is no reason in the world that GM could not built another 100 to 140 HP into our car if they wanted to. We have many Members getting close to the 500 RWHP level running through cats. That's right at 600 HP.

:cheers:

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
All wheel drive, period. Run them through 4th and see where they are in your mirror, stay in it through 5th and see if you can even still see a speck in your mirror. Don't be fooled by traction. :D

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I've lost to a V8 vega (was it stock?) so what the hell..

Mod any car and it can be made to go faster...

By the way...Chevrolet quotes its drivers nail 60mph in 3.9 seconds... For what its worth......

I like the Sti and the Evo so don't see it as a flame but rather stating the obvious..

Mod anything and it can go fast.

Just read an article that Jay leno has some 1,000 hp 1966 toranado and I'd imagine with wider tires it could beat quite a few "sports cars"

Thanks for the thread...

Its always worth a few laughs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have to agree 100% with all of you! :D It's still a Subaru, just like the Neon SRT-4 is pretty quick - well, it's still a damn Neon!

But, I think a lot of you are confusing the regular WRX STi with the WRX STi WR1. It's funny, they took an already upgraded WRX (the STi), and ugraded it again!! The regular STi, which sells for around $33k, has a 2.5L flat 4 pushing out about 300HP - the WR1 goes for a staggering $55k+ (I think they only made 500 of 'em), and also has a flat 4. I believe they shed even more weight, upgraded the boost, and somehow pushed even more HP out of the already drained 4... the WR1 is said to compete head to head with almost any V8 powerhouse, like the Zee...even Ferraris and Vipers...

Well, when it's all said and done, I concur, the C5 is, well, gorgeous in comparison! Not to mention the Vette's longstanding rock solid heritage... those are two significant reasons why the Zee is a better car.

BUT... aesthetics and heritage aside, let's look at this from a technological standpoint. You have to agree, it's AMAZING how a FOUR cylinder car can be made to reach 0-60 in 4.25 seconds, and run the 1/4 mile in 12.8 seconds. We're talking about a 4 cylinder car here! It's not that "amazing" to squeeze 400 HP out of a V8. In comparison with the WR1, that's almost like GM making a "super" version of the Z06 with upwards of 600HP+ - think about it... THAT would be awesome. :D
I'm not an engine techie by any means, so I really struggle with the technical aspect of the whole thing -- I simply cannot figure out HOW "boost", or any other mod to a 4 cylinder engine is a direct, sufficient replacement for such a sheer difference in cubic inches, # of cylinders, HP, etc, etc... :-?

Can someone explain this in detail???

·
Registered
284 Posts
Rocket, you have to remember that a engine is really an air pump. Turbos and superchargers force more air into the combustion chamber which then allows more fuel to be added. The effect is to make the engine act like it is bigger then it really is. I hope this answer helps(I am not an engineer).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Make no mistake, the WRX STi is quick and only for a few bucks (relatively) they are a serious force to play with. My friend in NC has one and runs 12.4's (and he sucks with a stick) Bigger turbo, programming, and intercooler make these cars perform.

Yeah, there's no V8 rumble, but that won't stop you from seeing their tail lights. Now me personally, always owned GM, I have 4 Vettes and wouldn't trade any of them in for a WRX or Evo, but don't write off a car because it has 4 cyl, in 86 and 87 buick's turbo 6 regals were handing corvettes (and mustangs) their doors. 2 grand worth of mods and they were in the 11's. Quick is quick, 4,6 or 8.

They cry the same thing Corvette owners do when compared to the turbo Porsche: "I could use the extra money to mod my car and go quicker" And we do. So do they. Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I am not an expert, but if you look at an engine as basicly an airpump, a bigger engine will be able to move more air than a smaller one. More air means more fuel, and more power. Put a turbo on it, and you can force more air into a smaller space, so a smaller pump could move as much air as a bigger engine.

I expect this is very close to the Rally Race Engine that they use in WRC racing.

Look at all the power Ferrari gets out of a Formula 1 engine.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here's an interesting article comparing those cars: http://motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0410_others/index.html

I made the move from a 4-cylinder turbo AWD Talon to my Z06 last year. The best run I ever had with it was a 13.97(boost controller, fuel pump, full exhaust). I still use the talon as a daily driver, but you can't beat the wonderful sound of a V8. I thought about putting more money into my talon but like Panzer stated, at the end of the day, would you rather be behind the wheel of a 4-banger with a turbo, or a VETTE. :z:

·
Registered
331 Posts
The top end evos and subarus post very impressive numbers but they're not as quick as there 0-60 times make out. Take one from a roll at 60 or 80 mph and watch it disappear in your rear view mirror. 4wd transmission loss sucks.

On the track the evo is a force to be reckoned with though, and can run with most cars.

In the UK we have the FQ400 which produces 400 HP from a 2 litre turbo. Very impressive especially considering it comes with a 3 year warranty, but massive lag and very short service intervals.

·
Registered
632 Posts
One area of note too. If you look at the manner in which the top times are obtained with these 4 banger all wheel drive cars, typically it is rev to around 5k (get the turbo spooling) and drop the clutch...all wheel drive takes it from there. So it is not really a fair comparison. I can't imagine how fast a vette would be if I could rev it to the cosmos, dump the clutch and fly away (ergo such fast 0-60 times for the Lambo Murcielago, a 4000+ lb car with all wheel drive).

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
jub jub said:
Stand behind a V8 with a healthy cam and headers! Now stand behind a rice box with a turbo. Rev each one!

I rest my case! :ity: :lol:
Hey John...as you know I have one of each...and you're absolutely right!!!!!!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bandz7 said:
Here's an interesting article comparing those cars: http://motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0410_others/index.html

I made the move from a 4-cylinder turbo AWD Talon to my Z06 last year. The best run I ever had with it was a 13.97(boost controller, fuel pump, full exhaust). I still use the talon as a daily driver, but you can't beat the wonderful sound of a V8. I thought about putting more money into my talon but like Panzer stated, at the end of the day, would you rather be behind the wheel of a 4-banger with a turbo, or a VETTE. :z:
That was actually the comparison I was looking at! ;) As well as everyone else here, of course I'd rather be behind the wheel of my Zee... the sound of my STOCK Zee (my only engine mod is K&N filter) is the most amazing 'music' I've ever heard come out of ANY stock car's engine. The Zee is a better car - but that's not the heart of my post...

I was just paying respect to the technology that these two cars employ that makes it possible to squeeze SO much HP out of such small engines. I suppose it's all about air flow, but, when it comes down to it, it's still a 4 cyl engine in the WR1 putting out ~330HP. IMO, that's very impressive. I know a thing or two about engines, but when it comes to getting very technical, I'm not that saavy... I still don't understand how simply forcing in air can produce so much power out of such a small engine...

Now, with that, I pose another question... out of curiosity - does anyone know the max attainable output from a 4 cyl engine? Just when it seems it's not possible to squeeze out any more power, they keep pushing it further and further... I mean, how much air can you possibly shove into an engine?? For the love of God, we're talking about a ~149 cu engine (~2457 cc). The thing is a baby compared to any V8 - how much more do you think they can possibly squeeze out it!?!?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts