Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ..nothing from the PD ..duhh
i went to the police dept on friday evening.. it was hard to find in "downtown" historic bowling green.. and went inside.. the second set of doors was locked.. picked up the courtesy phone and the sweet gal said.. "may i hep you" .. i told her i was here on vacation and my rims and tires were stolen and i needed a copy of the police report.. she said.. "they close at five" uhhhhh " its 5:02" dang.. sorry.. everyone was gone.. oh well.

Now ..

home.. call the insurance.. they take a statement.. and keep asking me about my "racing tires" because i told them i could not drive my car on the tours ..etc.. since i had the hoosiers.. that were not really safe on the street..

they kept pumping me about the event.. what we did..
i did tell them i took the chromies for the car show.. which is true.. and they kept asking about drag racing ..etc..
i called my agent.. and he called the adjuster.. who told him that the adjuster's boss is the one pushing the issue..
really..

what does it matter.. this is a theft issue.. not me hitting the wall at a drag race ..etc..
i didn't lie.. i told him i did participate in the autox .. parking lot event.. not high speed.. cones.. etc.. run against the clock not other cars.. i didn't tell him i won the event.!! LOL

any way..

my agent said they now want to come out ant take photos of the car and check the condition and mileage etc..
oh well

she needed detailed anyway

i have it as clean as it has been in quite some time.. just waiting. til monday.

i am still trying to decide on a rim and tire package..

help me brothers and sisters.>!!!!

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Insurance adjusters really get under my skin. It's like pulling teeth to get them to hold up their end of the deal. :flaming: It's not any easier to get the police to be interested in recovering stolen property. :flaming: Tire & rim pkgs. :-? What the heck do I know. I'm still bone stock. :(

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Best of luck to you Mike.

Guess I got lucky that night. Had my wheels laying in the bed of the truck unsecured.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Hummmnnn ... I'm not an insurance guy, but I did stay in the Hampton Inn last week. :roll:
I can't see how the car, its condition, or its use has anything to do with it ...:(
Lesseee... do tires have to be stolen off the car to be covered by comprehensive.? Or if they are not on the car does it come under some other loss category, or under "property" or under trailer insurance, since they were on/in the trailer :-?
I'm no help at all ... but perhaps someone can enlighten us all :eek::

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hang in there Mike, I've had similiar loses that end up getting resolved to my satifaction. The insurance companies just need to protect themselves against fraud, the police report will help close the case. Show them your photo of the blue tape wade on your head after removal, bet they would have never thought of that detail to protect the Z's finish. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
I'm kind of partial to iForged..........
not just because I have the Aero's either. Mine is an 18/19 setup, 10's up front and 11's rear. :thumb:

I'm tending to side with Caveman and Denny on this adjuster having to have a look at your car. What does it have to do with the theft? I wonder if you had been able to get the police report if things would have gone somewhat smoother. Oh well, good luck buddy!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I love those insurance questions. It is almost like they are trying to make you a criminal or look for ways to cancel your claim or raise your rates very soon. :bmad:

Surprise at the non-response of the local PD. Guess they are too busy looking for liqueur law violations. :sneaky:

A buddy of mine was touring on his Harley. In Montana, his saddle bags were gone thru and some tools and misc. items were stolen. The PD were sincerely distressed that a guest in their town was robbed. They "knew" who did it, and got his tools back. They actually mailed them back to his house. Imagine that for "protect and serve." :yeadog:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Oh, don't know if it helps, but Thursday (?) at about 9 or so there was a beat-up, faded orange, midsize pickup cruising the dumpsters. There were 3 people in it. The back lights were very dim even with the brakelights on. Don't know if it means anything but looked curious to me.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
CCW's all the way...if you have the $$$

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I can't believe how they put it back on YOU like how you drive your car has ANYTHING to do with the theft.

give me a break-I hear stuff like this and it gets me going!

Makes me so mad that they were stolen, as I am sure you are too Mike.

Your vette is ALWAYS very clean, and they should be IMPRESSED you took an "educational driving course" to better learn how to handle the car when assholes try to hit you on the highway! hahaaa

ask them "where is my driving safety discount?????"

·
Registered
681 Posts
Isn't someone on here an insurance broker? Or at least know someone that can say if this is right or not?

I think it is BS!! I would tell them to go F themselves and then take my business elsewhere!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Very sorry to hear about what happened with your wheels. As far as new pkg, depends on what you're going to do with them. For thrashing at the autoX or DE's, go wheel of your choice + Kumho V710's. For general cruising, I've heard lots of good things about the new Firestone Wide Ovals - though I haven't personally tried them out. I like CCW wheels - but as long as they're strong and light, really just up to personal taste.

You might take this opportunity to see if your insurance policy has a clause in it about racing or any kind of competition involving your car. Many do - I know mine does. I've always heard that the really "bad" thing to tell them is that it was a timed event. If it's untimed - DE or something - not such a big deal because then it is just a class (though I have heard of people having problems there too). If they do give you sh** about it (which is really what they get paid for), go find yourself a new carrier before they hike your rates or cancel you. And then, in the future, maybe just fail to mention anything ever to insurance people about racing. They're kind of like the dealer when you're trying to get warranty work done. :mah:

Remember, they're ONLY in the insurance business to make money, and if the statistics tell them that because you race you might not make them as much money... POOF! Ain't capitalism grand?? Good luck - I was really hoping this was a post saying you got them back complete with a chance to bust the skulls of the perpitrators!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I think it's more of an issue where they are not even looking at the theft loss, but rather thinking that they have a person that uses the vehicle for racing--thus invalidating the policy or cause for increased premiums. Watch what you tell them...

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Why are we police bashing? Just curious. They took a report. What else would we like them to do?? Serious question. Stop all cars and trucks at the border and look in the trunk for tires?? Send up a helicopter and scour the landscape for wheels? Stop every Corvette in town and hold them until the victim shows up and checks the wheels??? That would make a lot of people happy, huh?? I feel terrible when someones stuff get stolen, but really, what do you expect the police to do? Unless someone comes forward with info what is there to do? If they have serial numbers they can be entered in the NCIC computer. If they get a rash of such thefts they can press suspects into confessing what they did with the merchandise. That's about it.
Every time some scumbag steals something we manage to get mad at the cops. I don't get it. :( :(

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
FiveOJoe said:
Why are we police bashing? Just curious. They took a report. What else would we like them to do?? Serious question. Stop all cars and trucks at the border and look in the trunk for tires?? Send up a helicopter and scour the landscape for wheels? Stop every Corvette in town and hold them until the victim shows up and checks the wheels??? That would make a lot of people happy, huh?? I feel terrible when someones stuff get stolen, but really, what do you expect the police to do? Unless someone comes forward with info what is there to do? If they have serial numbers they can be entered in the NCIC computer. If they get a rash of such thefts they can press suspects into confessing what they did with the merchandise.
Every time some scumbag steals something we manage to get mad at the cops. :( :(
Sorry Joe. I never bash cops except for this. And it comes from friends and relatives who have had stolen property. 1st case: I have a ex-step-nephew inlaw (ok, not family) who had a car stolen while he was inside a convenience store. The cops made it from the station 1/2 mile away in a record 30 minutes. Not too bad for a town of 9000. Anyway, the clerk not only witnessed the theft, she knew the perp and where he lived. The cops took the information on the report and 3 weeks later went to the perps apartment only to find the car stripped in the parking lot. 2nd case: A friend had his truck stolen from a local store. Filed the report, waited the time required to file for insurance. Made and collected on the claim bought a replacement truck. Then discovered through word of mouth that his truck had been on the police impound lot since 5 days after the theft. I know this doesn't condemn all cops, but this is a weak area for law enforcement IMO.

·
Registered
475 Posts
my insurance agent is my best friend....I never have any kind of problems....life doesn't get any better than that....years ago, my wife (ex now) was hit by a drunk driver head on....brand new mini van.....the motor moved back over 4 inches...I figured it would never be right no matter what...the insurance company wanted to fix it, it was close and he keep at them looking closer and closer at the vehicle to the point that they finally totaled it, which was exactly what we wanted.....friends are good!!!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have so much to say and so little time :cen:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I remember reading your initial post about your wheels being ripped off at the fest. I thought that sucked and was :flaming: that someone would come along and rain on the parade like that. Your subsequent PD experience is unfortunate but not completely unexpected, regardless of where you are, recovery rates for these types of thefts are low.

The apparent poor attitude and lack of service, well, unfortunately that's pretty pervasive in most service industries and the PD is not different not bashing but cops are human too, there's the good ones, the bad, and the indifferent so let's not be naive and say that all cops are good nor all they all bad.

The ins. co. ahhh well, some very broad generalizations can be made there but I won't... sounds like they are supsecting you damaged/destroyed your wheels during a DE and are filing a fraudulent theft claim??? I don't think they are trying to nail you with a premium hike b/c through their sleuthing they found out you allegedly participated in a HPDE.

Regardless, I hope you get your wheels back or money to get another set. I like the iForged that Dave just got. Best of luck to you. :guiness:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts