Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of an X-pipe that bolts up to the Exhaust Manifolds and goes back past the Cats? A simple cut 6"-12" behaind the Cats and some Band clamp would allow easy bolt in and take off for Offroad excursions etc.. With one end bolting in this would be a sweet setup for those not going ot headers right away. I have seen some of the Offroad X-pipe set-ups but they require cutting on both ends of the cats etc.. any help would be great. Or any vendors willing to produce this (reasonably priced) would also be great.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
HI there,
Unfortunately, I dont know of any. The only one that I have used, is Bassani. As you noted, cutting off the rear flanges, and using band clamps.
My customers are advised that you will void the warranty on your cats. They are ok with it.
Sorry couldnt help more. c4c5:z:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
c4c5, Are you saying that only the warranty on the Cats are voided by putting on an x-pipe? Is the remaining warranty still in effect? The reason I ask, I am preparing to put on headers and x-pipe and I am interested in knowing about warranty issues with the cats and without the cats. Thanks for your expertise.

Don

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Specifics

Hi there,
Any modification which modifys an original component, such as cutting the cat flanges off.
If you were to have a rattling converter, or a failure of them, GM could not warranty them, due to modifications. If you installed headers, and they leaked, or you had a loose exhaust because of fit problems, then there would be no warranty on that.
You see, at a dealer, we have a very strict set of rules that we must adhere to. We can perform NO modifications that violate EPA guidelines, at all, in any way.
That is why, when my customers bring in parts, they must also bring the CARB exemption card with them, otherwise, I do not do the modification.
If I was to do other things, like sway bars, or shocks, or wheels and tires, then if there was a shifted belt, or rougher ride, or whatever, that is at the discretion of the dealer, NOT GM, because they did not do the mod.
Every mods has a price, and it always carries a compromise, so always be aware, you must understand these things, and be advised accordingly.
besttoyou, c4c5:z:hammersmakingpower.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
C4c5,
Thanks for the info on warrenty. I wouldnt cut the flanges off, more likely down the pipe even futher than 12". People seem to be picking up some power with the aftermarket X-pipes and header combo. This is the poor mans way of getting some sound without replacing the catback and maybe some power. I would want it to be easy to switch back and forth for emmisions etc.. I have heard of cats stopping up. But not often Is this becoming an issue? Thanks again for the help.

Also is anyone offering a book for the Z06 yet. Haynes or Chiltons?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
BADASSZ06 said:
C4c5,
Thanks for the info on warrenty. I wouldnt cut the flanges off, more likely down the pipe even futher than 12". People seem to be picking up some power with the aftermarket X-pipes and header combo. This is the poor mans way of getting some sound without replacing the catback and maybe some power. I would want it to be easy to switch back and forth for emmisions etc.. I have heard of cats stopping up. But not often Is this becoming an issue? Thanks again for the help.

Also is anyone offering a book for the Z06 yet. Haynes or Chiltons?
Could you doctor up the x pipe to work?:cheers:

·
Registered
48 Posts
It can be done

MTI is making a custom setup that will flange up to the headers and as I understand it, they would cut off the section with the Cats intact so it can be replaced if you sold the car etc. Obviously, they only do this for off road purposes. I am waiting for a setup for my car which should be in this week. I am sorry that I don't know all the details, but you can call Jeff at MTI at 281-870-8787 and ask him about it. He designed it. Remember, they will only do this for "off road" use.
Regards
Rg
2002 Z06

·
Registered
788 Posts
help???

ok i know these are dumb questions from the uninformed but....

what is an "x pipe?" what does it do?

when you say for "off road" use, what does that mean?

what are "cats?" what do they do?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
HI there, Lawboy,
An Xpipe is basically a pipe that looks like an x, and what it does in theory, is to balance the exhaust pulses as they travel to the mufflers. It supposed to make gains, but how much, I really dont know.
Off road use means that it is technically made for a racing application only, and not for use on the public roads.
The Cats, are catalytic converters, and they help your car meet emissions requirements, by converting the exhaust gas to carbon dioxide, and water, under idea conditions. Idea is almost never, but it does work.
As for the cats stopping up, I can only offer 2 reasons for this, either the air fuel mixture is too lean or too rich.
Too lean, and the exhaust gas will be so hot, it will melt the substrate material, causing the blockage, or too rich, will dump fuel into the cat, where it is burned, also, melting the cat substrate.
Either way, under normal circumstances, this will set a code before it happens, and should have been diagnosed. If it doesnt set a code, than I think that there is details that are not being told. After numerous off road header, expipe, and the like, with converters in place, I have yet to see one fail due to modifications.
Besttoyou, c4c5:z:

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have been told by Bassani, they have a part that along with the X-pipe will avoid having to do any cutting and is easily put back to stock. part # 5797X and CF9901
5797 is the part that elininates cutting and CF 9901 is the x-pipe itself. Claim 5-7RWHP.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I believe Breathless preformance has a full bolt in (easy in easy out) off road xpipe on there website.
I was probably going to get it this winter sometime.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I had the Bassanni off road pipe on my '01. As noted, it is a two piece deal and requires no cutting. It goes from the manifolds back into a collector, branches back out from there and bolts on to the second pipe. After the coupling it goes back into a second collector. After it branches out of the second collector it bolts up to your exhaust system. You will need a set of 02 sims or a PCM reprogram to avoid trouble codes. By the way, be prepared for the car to REALLY stink if you go this route. You couldn't stand to be in the garage with my '01 when it was running. I kept the X-pipe and B&B PRTs off my '01 when I traded it in, but I don't think I'll use the front section of the pipe when I put them on my '02. I'm going to go with long tube headers and leave the main cats in place. The stink is not worth 4 or 5 hp. Let me know if you need any more info on the pipe. Good luck!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Z06 Tom If you have the part numbers that would be great. Also pictures would be great too. Thats exactly what im looking for. Thanks for the info.

Jason

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Heard

The X pipes, Bassani's, are only worth approx 5/7 hp............(so I have read).
This is not a good trade out for $$$$, and time involved.........IMHO.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts