Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've been debating it for a while, but still don't have it. From what I've read, it has been doing great as far as sales go, so it should be around for quite a while.

There are a couple of things slowing me down from getting it, such as the antenna- I don't want to advertise what I have hidden in the car (and most of the antennas are ugly). I asked around and heard from several sales people that knew of friends/clients that just sat the antenna on their dash or passenger seat and it works fine. I'm also not sure about where to put it. The Panasonic version ($250) is just a thin faceplate that could probably be installed where the ashtray is with all of it's electronics mounted remotely.The Sony version ($300 to use a casstte adaptor, $400 to use an FM modulator) is about the size of a walkman. It comes with a remote, so techically you could use it without seeing the display, but that seems like it would be a pain (and having a remote is a 2-seater just seems dumb). Sony's is also portable though and for $150 more you can get an adaptor kit to use it in your house.

I was thinking of getting the Panasonic and later upgrading my home stereo when more home units are available, but then I thought about the fact that you would need to pay for the service twice that way. Even though the Sony will end up costing more than double what the Panasonic costs, it is probably the best bet if you are ever wanting to use XM in the house or another car.

With all of that (rambling) said, you may also want to consider XM's competitor Sirius. They just started up not too long ago, but is supposed to be comercial-free (a lot of XM's stations still have something like 8-10 minutes of comercials an hour).

www.xm.com
www.siriusradio.com

A friend of a friend has XM and says he absolutely loves it, but I'd still like some more opinions. I'm also wondering if the "home" version still needs its antenna outside? My apartment complex would probably frown on drilling a hole through the outside wall.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
We are one of the top 10 dealers in Tx.

It is truly awesome .

We have not done a c-5 yet ,But oddly enough quit a few exotics.
Ferrari 355 targa,Porsche c-4 ,Boxsters,Lexus Is 300.Mercedes
S Class,and a whole host of SUV'S.

So far no problems :cheers: :cheers:

Andy
ZO6 PARTS INC.
DALLAS TX
thecarstereostore.com

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the Alpine XM setup with Alpine CDA 7878 in my Porsche 996. The reception is excellent and it's great being able to dial into your favourite channel and just leave it there for long journeys.

The programming is varied, but depending upon your tastes there might only be a few of the 100 channels of interest. Performance is excellent.

One issue for me was finding an appropriate antenna for my Porsche as it has very few panels on which you could mount the aerial. (It's a cab). the choices of antenna seem limited to about three at the moment, a shark fin about four inches tall, a HUGE thick short mast or the turtle shell low mount. I suspect that the Z06 would need the turtle shell type of antenna, probably mounted on the trunk lid. In my case I had to go with the Pioneer shark fin on my dash behind the windshield.

The Alpine XM unit hides away and is controlled by the head unit, adding another band for XM. Simple to use.

I like mine and miss having it in my other cars. For the Z06 I'd definitely go for the Pioneer FM piggy back installation - that way you could keep the rest of the system stock and avoid a standard DIN size head unit that always look UGLY in the Corvette, regardless of the quality. Just my $0.02.... :mad: :p

Graham

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
There is also a new "through glass" antenna that sort of resembles a car phone antenna.

Gwelland- One salesperson I talked to said reception will cut out occationally while turning if the antenna is inside the car. Have you noticed that happening at all?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Javelin said:
One salesperson I talked to said reception will cut out occationally while turning if the antenna is inside the car. Have you noticed that happening at all?
You do rarely get a momentary signal drop with the antenna inside. Mines in a cabriolet and so I don't have much of a problem, but it does very occasionally drop momentarily.

I'm looking out for a better antenna that mounts on the glass. The TERK one was enormous and there wasn't anywhere that we could mount it.

Graham

1 - 7 of 7 Posts