Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the Xpel installed on the Front Bumper of my QS Z06. Here is a link to some pics:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gmblack3/426788

Here is their website:

http://www.xpel.com/paint/applications.html

The bumper kit was $212 (says $240 on the website) from my installer and the labor was $70. 2 hours at $35 hour. Took the installer almost 3 hours. He is where I had it done at:

S. L. Racing
Contact - Sam Lockwood
5310 Chattahoochee
Cumming, GA 30041
770-886-1380

Sorry that the car is so dirty, but Sam said its not a good idea to wash that area for a few days untill it dries out some. Just like tint the bubbles will dry out.

·
Registered
878 Posts
gmblack3, what made you go with xpel?

I planned to get the Stonegard, there is an installer/distributor here in San Diego (West Coast Specialties). I'd like to hear what made you choose Xpel.. I'm not locked in yet.

:cheers:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Xpel on My Z06 for 5 months now

After 5 months, I am completely satisfied. I have the Xpel C5 kit for the front bumper and the mirrors. This was professionally installed. I also bought bulk material (scotchcal) and made pieces for the body at the inside of all wheelwells as well as the lower body behind the front and rear wheels. Also did the headlight covers. I installed all of the other pieces myself.

Regards,
Steve Spears
:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Xpel on My Z06 for 5 months now

Steve, Where did you got the bulk scotchcal and what was the cost?

Z.06 said:
After 5 months, I am completely satisfied. I have the Xpel C5 kit for the front bumper and the mirrors. This was professionally installed. I also bought bulk material (scotchcal) and made pieces for the body at the inside of all wheelwells as well as the lower body behind the front and rear wheels. Also did the headlight covers. I installed all of the other pieces myself.

Regards,
Steve Spears
:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
878 Posts
gmblack3 said:
The Stoneguard is a 1 piece for the bumper where the Xpel is a 3 piece. [/B]
Yeah, I know, that's why I opted for the Stonegard, I'd rather have the one piece as I plan to Zaino the car often.

After speaking with a 3M guy the only porous area is the edge. I want to minimize any edge peal and think the one piece might look a little better. I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra $$$ or not.

I'd like to know how it looks after you wax it. Please keep me posted. I don't get my Z for a few more weeks. Hopefully before the end of 0% APR. :D

I'll be saving so much in interest and I won the Sidewinder :z: so I can easily justify the extra $$$ if it's worth it.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have a good point about waxing it. I'll have to be careful around where it comes together on the Xpel. I'll be waxing it in a few weeks. Need to give it some time to dry out and I'll be out of town next w/e. I need to get some Zaino. Do you think I need to use the Z-5? My QS Z06 has 4,000 miles on it no swirl marks that I can see.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bulk Scotchcal

gmblack3,
I purchased the bulk Scotchcal from my installer (bumper and mirrors). He got it from Xpel with the bumper/mirror kit. He charged me $10/ft for the 24" wide material. I bought 13 feet.

I learned enough about installing it by watching him. You will also need the applicator tools shown on the Xpel site as well as Johnsons baby shampoo (accept no substitutes) and isopropyl alcohol (Walgreens 90% good enough here).

You can order the Scotchcal from Xpel's internet site at $12/ft in the 24" width.

The only downside to using Zaino afterward is that you will have to scrape the residue out of the edges to prevent making the outline of the Scotchcal more obvious. This is a little tedious. If anyone has come up with a quick & effective way to do this, I would appreciate their post.

Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brown spots on my Xpel from bugs

After washing the car I have Brown spots on my Xpel from bugs. I can't get it off so far. Have tried some cleaner wax. I have a call in to Xpel. Waiting for the reply from them. Any Ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Try some bug and tar remover, or maybe some WD-40. I have had bugs that I couldn't get off with anything until I tried some professional strength material.

I would have thought the cleaner would work, but I think those ususally work because they are abrasive and they move paint/clearcoat from the area next to it over the mark.

Keep us posted.
chris

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
X-pel returned my call today. The guy said that they have had that problerm in the past when they didn't wax the area. I told him that I didn't wax it yet becase I was waiting for the X-pel to dry out. I also told him that the website says that you can wax the area, but does not say that you need to right away to prevent bug stains. He said the stains should Fade out in a few days. I said what happens if it does not fade out. He said "Call the local 3M rep, its their product we just design the cuts." :-? So here I am driving it every day getting more bugs on it, I'll just wash it everyday untill it fades as they claim.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cleaning Scotchcal (Xpel) Film

gmblack3,
My installer told me that stains could be removed with Isopropyl alcohol (the same stuff you spray it with to install it). I would start with a few stains and a 50% diluted mixture of the 70% alcohol to see if this works.

Steve

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steve, I'm give that a try this w/e and then put about 3 coats of good wax on it. Will let you know how it turns out. thanks, Bryan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts