Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....I did it, swapped Mobil 1 back in at 3000 miles this morning...

A more serious question, however - it takes about 5-6 attempts at stabbing the dipstick into the oil pan to get a "good" read on the stick. Hard to describe what I get usually, but the oil level seems to be all the way across the stick at a very low point, then a thin "ribbon" of oil extends several inches ABOVE the "full line".

It takes many times to get a good reading, and is a PITA. Anyone else notice this, I think I read somewhere that they changed the dipstick tube/dipstick for '02 - is this true? If so, was it to correct this issue? I'm installing some TPIS long tubes this week, and it's a great time to put a new dipstick tube/stick in there if that's a resolution.

TIA!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I think they made the dipstick into a corkscrew shape in an attempt to avoid bad readings, but it doesn't seem to work. Once the dipstick tube is wet, it won't read correctly.

I always read the dipstick in the morning after the car sits overnight on a flat surface. This gives the oil time to run back down the dipstick tube. Just pull the stick in the morning and read it. Don't wipe and re-insert because then you will most likely get a bogus reading.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
pmontelo said:

I always read the dipstick in the morning after the car sits overnight on a flat surface. This gives the oil time to run back down the dipstick tube. Just pull the stick in the morning and read it. Don't wipe and re-insert because then you get will most likely get a bogus reading.

:cheers:
That's exactly how I've been checking oil levels on my vehicles for many years. Works very well.

I think the dipstick/tube was changed in 2001 on all LS1/LS6 engines. On 97~99s, it was located about in the center of the RH side of the engine, and in 2001 on its located near the front of the RH side of the engine. You should already have the new desiged dipstick and tube.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hoorah. :)

Oh, BTW if you hadn't read this I thought I would pass it along. This was in the Houston Chronicle. Some guy just went 1 million miles in a 1995 Chevy Silverado with a gas engine. With no work to the motor.

The oil he used...... conventional PENZOIL.

But he changed his oil every 3200 miles (every 4 days for him). So just goes to show, with regular maintenance, you could probably use just about anything.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/front/1097613

As for the dipstick, I don't know. I haven't had a problem with mine at all. I wish I could be of more help.

I'd like to know what you think of the headers, if you have to port match them, what kind of pain it is to install them, etc...

Best of luck on the oil and the dipstick. :)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Interesting article on the million mile truck using Pennzoil. BUT, that truck was driven ~800 miles per day on what sounded like mosltly hiway cruising. IMO, short city dirves with alot of stop and go traffic degrades motor oil alot faster than long hiway cruises.

I think it was Consumer Report (?) that did a big extensive motor oil test using taxi cabs in NYC. I think they only ran those engines to 100,000 miles. Same basic conclusion -- change oil and filter on an often basis and engine life will be geatly enhanced.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll do that in the morning, or when I get off work and can go downstairs and check. :)

On the headers - I don't plan to port match them, just gonna bolt them up. I'll be bleeding the clutch when I get the stock exhaust off as well. I'm contemplating doing a write-up on the header install, depends on how big a wild hair I get up my ass :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts