Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another quick update on the youngest T1 driver in a Z06!! I continue to be amazed at his progress and hard work... And while I don't want to sound like one of those sports dads, I figure I will tell you all about it and try not to sound too boastful...

Andy started off the month of April with a pole, new track record and a win at Summit Point National... At NHIS he qualified on the pole at under the track record, but had a clutch blow 1/2 way through the race and DNF'd...

At Nelsons Ledges in late May he qulaified second to Fred baker and managed to win the race after Fred and another car collided...

Andrew had a pretty busy month of June...

At Mid Ohio in early June Andy had his first off race of the year... A slow qualifying position and a bad start put him in fifth place for the race and that is where he finished... After the race he told me "I just screwed up dad and had a bad race..." The next race he was back on form though...

On june 11th he graduated from Downingtown Senior high school and kept his part of the racing deal by getting good grades and working hard... His final quarter grades were high hoinor role which I was a little surprised at since we spent a lot of time from April on going to races..

On June 16th he turned 18, and celabrated by loading trailers and cars and getting ready for the Beaver Run national..

On June 17th he got to test the new Viper SRT10 we had built and he promptly broke the track record in 5 laps... By over 1.2 seconds... So the good news is he is not a one car driver...

He drove the new c6 the next day and broke the track record in that also, although Freddy Baker was faster in qualifying and set the new lap record during the race...

On Fathers day he won the Beaver Run national race and took his mother for her first ever checkered flag lap... He had some wheel to Wheel contact with Fred baker in his GT3 Porsche but stood his ground and did not flinch...

And now he is busy at work in the shop getting the trailers relaoded for the next race and helping prep the cars...

I am pretty lucky to have a son that likes doing what I have loved to do for all these years.. He sure drives better than I ever did and seems to have a pretty good feel for racing tactics and strategy... We talk racing all the time and at the end of the summer he will be going to Penn State to major in Mechanical engineering...

For the rest of the summer he will continue racing and try to win the Northeast Division T1 Championshiip.. And then try the runoffs again this year...

For he and I and Jeanne it hopefully will be a busy but fun summer...

Stay tuned for more updates, and thank you all for your support!!! We are so fortunate to have so many good friends in Corvettes and racing...

We will be at Pocono in early August, so if anyone nearby wants to come on down and watch the races, be sure to stop by and say hello...

Until next time...

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
Wow ! Your son sounds like a fine young man and a hell of a good driver.
You have every reason to be proud. :thumb:
Good luck with the rest of the season.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Guys,

Allow me to add something to Joe's comments:

I have a hard time remembering AJ is "only" 18 (and just turned it no less). I have watched this young man develop over the last 2 years from someone who I hardly knew existed (I met him when I purchased my current race car from Joe in July 2003 and did not remember him at the shop) to someone who I can now rely on for guidance and advice with this same car.

When AJ graduated from high school two weeks ago, I did a double-take, reminding myself how truly young he is. The depressing part of this is that this (ahem) "kid" is going to be kicking my butt on the track for along time to come. Oh well, such is life.

I think the biggest question about AJ's future is how much he can accomplish. I think he has all the makings to be a truly great race driver (Heinricy/Knowles/Galatti/Fellows/Said/Auberlein/Gregg/Holbert-ish good); maybe I can be a small part of that (my car will be waaaay in the back...).

You are all watching a bit of racing history unfold.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Joe, thanks for catching us up on Andrew's season. Please pass my congrats to him and let him know I wish him the best of luck at Penn State next year. :cheers:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just another quick update since several of you have asked...

Andy did well in the T-1 Corvettes and won the Northeast Division Championship for the second year in a row. At the runoffs, he tried the Viper we have and Finished 4th overall and was only one step from the podium... Pretty good progress from a 10th place finish in 2004...

Andy just finished his first semester at Penn State as an engineering major and went through the normal shock of trying to get good grades...

After high school this was a bit harder and the first Calculus test was a real shocker grade wise...

Good news is he dug in and battle back to not only pass the course, but got an A in it.... The rest of the classes seemed to go pretty well also, except for chemistry... Someone convinced him to drop it and try it again... I did not agree with that tactic...

Next races are Sebring and moroso in Florida in early January... Stay tuned, we will have more on that adventure...

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah, Calculus was a definite eye opener for me too. Tell him the good news is that he only has 3 more levels to get thru!!!!! ha ha Differential equations (level 3 of 4 total) was the reall butt kicker!!!! :eek2: :rofl:

Maybe all this will distract him enough to miss a shift or something on track. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Time for another quick update...

Andy just completed his first year at Penn State and is back working full time in the shop... Latest project was to rebuild his 2001 Z06 T1 race car... Almost done... New engine, trans, rear and diff, and thorough refurbishing of anything he could take apart... Hope he did a good job, he is loaning it to me...!!

He also raced the first Solstice ever in SSb and had pretty good results... Qulaified second, finished third and set the fastest lap in the race...

In T1, Andy has been running the viper and has Three wins and three track records on Hoosier tires... He reports it is an awesome car and pretty easy to drive, actually easier than the Corvette... Plans are to take it and the Solstice to the runoffs this year!!!

Stay tuned for more info to come as the year progresses...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts