Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My EB Z was built 8/17, and has been on a hobo infested train for about 14 days to make its way to Seattle from the factory. I've been tracking it, and found out it had arrived at the United Pacific RR drop lot near Kent, WA last night. The dealer told me it was scheduled to arrive at the dealership sometime this afternoon, so I went down there to talk about some details on the deal, hoping it would show up while I was there.

Sure enough, about 45 minutes after I get there, the transportaion truck pulls up with the Z on the rear :D. It looked mighty awesome, and the involentary grin was going strong. Me and the salesman went out to watch the truck driver unload my Z, and within 2 minutes I realized this guy was a full fledged member of the Micky Mouse Club :roll:. The ramps where short, and at a very steep angle to the ground -- I'm seeing visions of scraped up Z already :flaming:. The guy then rounds up a bunch of wood blocks and proceeds to prop up the ends of the ramps about a foot, then puts a pair of short 2x6 by only 3 ft long as secondary 'ramps' to the road. I'm thinking "OK, I guess that might work if he doesn't drive off the sides of the wood planks". So he jumps in the Z and starts backing it off the truck slowly. When the rear wheels contact the leading edge of the 2x6 wood planks, they both jump up off the road end and hit the underside of the rear facia ! :flaming: -- WTF kind of a Rube Goldberg setup is this!. I jump over and put my foot on the one that seems the worse and force it too the ground until the rear tire has enough weight on it to make it come back down to earth. Same thing happens with the front wheels, except this time the wood wants to smack the underside of the rocker panels. I don't think it did much damage, but hell, this is utter :bs: IMO. Totally uncalled for!

So, the Z is off the transportation truck, and is driven into the dealers lot and parked. I walk up to start inspecting it, knowing something will be wrong -- I can feel this stuff :D. Sure enough! As soon as I look at the drivers door I notice a nice goudge about 1/4 inch long on the edge lip of the rear of the door. It's on the rounded lip edge of the door, but can still be seen with the door closed. There was some white tape on it, and a dot on the tape, maybe signifying damage there -- don't know for sure, could have been factory damage? The tape was peeled back from the edge, and not stuck down when I saw it. Also, the foam door bumper was stuck to the rear window, NOT on the door -- what the hell's going on here? Based on this, I'm thinking the door was bumped inside the boxcar. So, I'm thinking "fine, I guess that can be touched up with a brush and some touchup paint and if done right should be hard to see". So then the truck driver pulls a piece of paper off the dash and says "Oh ya, there's some damage on the nose" -- WTF!! Sure enough, bottom edge of the nose had some nice scrapes in it on both sides, and the air dam underneath has some visable damage too, with scratchs at least 2 inchs above its bottom edge. The truck driver says it was noted by United Pacific RR :flaming: -- not a normal boxcar unload I'm thinking! Now I have to talk to the body shop tomarrow when I pick up the car to see the best way to take care of the nose scuffs :cry:. Oh, well -- hopefully this is the worst of the things to come.

So, that's how the first 15 minutes of my delivery started out. I guess it could have been worse, but IMO it should have been better. I've decided that I'm going to write a formal letter to GM and CC a copy of it to United Pacific RR about this whole trasportation issue. IMO, there is no excuse why we should put up with this :bs:. It would be in GMs best interest and the customers to have cars deliverd without transportation damage. If I was someone in GM that had any say in it, I would have an audit of the procedures used by UPRR in the transportation process. Certainly it can't be rocket science to figure out a way to do it correctly. I'm sure I could spend 1/2 day with them and tell them a better way to do it. Hell, I'd only charge GM one new Z06 for my consaltant sevices :D. The reality is that these are not the railroad employee's cars, and if they get scraped up, who gives a ....

Is there anyone on the forum that could recommend a name and address of someone in GM who would give a rat's ass about the transportation issue? If so, could you please let me know who that is? The keyboard will be smokin'.

BTW -- the EB color is absolutely awesome! Everything I expected. Also, I heard the car run, and checked under the hood while it was running. It sounded very quiet and idled smooth. Another thing I noticed right off the bat was that there was alot of clearance between the coolant reservior hose and the radiator plastic shroud (about 1/4+ inch) -- I know on alot of 2001 Vetts, this hose would touch the sharp edge of the shroud and potentially cut the hose, causing high pressure coolant to geiser all over the place. Kind of like my spewing of rants on my experience so far :D.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Well, that was one well-composed piece considering damage to your new EB baby :)

Sorry to hear this, and some members of the forum will tell you to reject the car, but it never hurts to listen to all of the options from the dealer. If they can fix it like new, then so be it, if you want to reject it, then Rick is standing by with another EB for you I'm sure :)

Good luck and keep us posted!

JC

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks JC. If I went the rejection route, I just have a feeling that the next one will have some other problems. Seems like its near impossible to get one thats 'perfect'. Also, I already made a trade with the 2001 coupe I previouly bought from this dealer -- which they already sold. I guess I could make them write me a check for the $20K downpayment that's on the new Z. Then I'd have to pay for the new one to be shipped to Washington state -- more money. This crap sucks! BTW -- the paint looked very nice, minimum orange peel from what i could see. Guess thats a plus going for it right now knowing that some have a bad case of orange peel.

If Rick could send me one (in good shape of course) in a covered truck for the same price to the front door I might actually concider it :D.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Trust me, GM will be just as unhappy as you. Sorry to hear about the problem. I could tell you about a greater horror story with the shipping my my log home kit by box car from Bangor, Maine, but that would take too long.

I alreay have two visits to the body shop with total damage exceeding $9,000, so don't feel alone. Fortunately neither were from the delivery.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there anyone on the forum that could recommend a name and address of someone in GM who would give a rat's ass about the transportation issue? If so, could you please let me know who that is? My letter writing skills are getting honed quite well :D

I know some of you guys on the forum have close ties to people in GM.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
ZeeOhSix; Sorry to hear about your experience as I have an EB coming into the Kent lot in around 6 weeks as well. When I bought my 94, they were trucked from the plant straight to the dealer. Now with them being trucked from the plant to the railyard, unloaded, loaded on a rail car and hauled to the destination railyard, unloaded then loaded again on a truck, its easy to see all the opportunities for damage compared to just putting them on a truck and leaving them there. Based on a few previous posts about rocker panel damage, I know I will be looking at them along with everything else on delivery. I hope the dealer can bring the car up to your expectations. :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry to hear of your experience. The best part is that it should be smooth sailing from here on in. The Z is an absolute blast to drive and you still have some summer left to enjoy it.You also have 20 more ponies than me and I love the car. I agree that GM will not be happy about the delivery. Too bad that you couldn't get a permit to pick it up at the Kent Railyard but probably not permitted for some legal reason.

Have fun -maybe catch you on I 5 as I am driving back and forth to Seattle nearly weekly.

01QS ZEDOH6
clear tailights, H4 European Headlights, partition, lowered, etc.
:smile: :smile: :smile:

·
Registered
496 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:
Is there anyone on the forum that could recommend a name and address of someone in GM who would give a rat's ass about the transportation issue? If so, could you please let me know who that is? My letter writing skills are getting honed quite well :D

I know some of you guys on the forum have close ties to people in GM.
I have no ties to anyone at GM, but I did have a similar problem when my car was delivered to a dealer here in Houston. I talked to several people at GM who "seemed" concerned. No one ever "got back to me" about it though, as they said they would. They really don't care as they already have the money. Keep in mind that once the dealer buys the car, GM doesn't care any more about it as your transaction is with the dealer.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but it should get better from here.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just another reason why fathers shouldn't be in the delivery room when birth is given. It's a mess! :eek:

·
Registered
132 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:
and found out it had arrived at the United Pacific RR drop lot near Kent, WA last night. The dealer told me it was scheduled to arrive at the dealership sometime this afternoon,

I realized this guy was a full fledged member of the Micky Mouse Club. The ramps where short, and at a very steep angle to the ground -- I'm seeing visions of scraped up Z already. The guy then rounds up a bunch of wood blocks and proceeds to prop up the ends of the ramps about a foot, then puts a pair of short 2x6 by only 3 ft long as secondary 'ramps' to the road.

My car came through Kent as well. Although I wasn't present when my car was unloaded in Portland, it appears this was the sequence of events my car went through. I took delivery of the car and drove it home in the rain. Next day I'm washing the car and under the rear brake cooling duct on the drivers side, the rag catches on something. I feel with my fingers and realize it's splintered fiberglass. I put the car on my lift and sure enough, damage to the underside of the the car. Call the dealer and he says it's his problem now since they took delivery without damage notations. You can't see the damage when standing next to the car, but is very obvious when on a lift. The dealer will fix it but it's on his dime. If anyone is expecting a car in the near future, check the underside of the car before taking delivery. Have the dealer put it on a lift so you can look under the car. I would imagin that if enough time had gone by, even the dealer would have denied my claim and it would have been my expense to fix the car.:mad: :cry:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
BrianK said:
Yikes.. Sign me up as another waiting order in Seattle - my Z is probably going to go through the same meat grinder rail yard..

Any thoughts on how we can get this process improved before there is more suffering?

I would think GM would have some special ramp requirements for the trucks that handle these cars and that the trucking companies have agreed to those requirements in order to get the contract. Do the requirements not exist, or are the truck/railroad companies not in compliance?
I think the only way to 'stop the suffering' would be to forcefully overtake the transportation handling sight with full fledged comando tactics :D:D.

As far as GM laying down specific handling requirements -- you would certainly think/hope so, but in reality they maybe stipulated, but these places may never be audited to verify compliance.

Now that I look at this in hind sight, I think I would try to contact United Pacific Railroad and tell them you have a Vette on their train, and that your hearing about shipping damage. Tell then that you will be going over your car with a magnifying glass, and making all damage claims through he dealer.

As someone said earlier, it just seems like these transportation people are in some 'zombi zone', and just don't give a rip about it. So sad :roll: .

I did decide to take delivery of my Z in the end. Go see my other thread about this if you haven't already.

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4219

1 - 11 of 11 Posts