Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:-? Only 1000 miles after the Magnuson install by 21CMC the inner grove on the serpentine belt gets ate after I restarted my car. The belt somehow jumped a grove. Is this a common problem with the Mag or a freak belt? Does anyone know the part # for the belt that fits a Magnuson?

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Check to see if there is a number printed on the belt. Many times there is. That will help you find one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope I can find one locally that will work. It's just a pain in the _ss. As soon as you think you have a dependable 500 HP car, reality hits. I guess I will have to carry a spare now. I can't imagine leaving the Z on the side of the road!

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
I had the same problem on a stock engine....

Belt Information for the replacement I picked up

Kelly Springfield
Automotive V-Ribbed Belt
6 Rib x 80.2 in.

Part Number 802K6

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that the stock belt # or the one for the Mag?

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
First I've ever heard of this problem.

I ran a Magnacharger for over a year and put around 15 thousand miles on it with no issues. Its a great unit.

The belt is self-adjusting. There may be a problem with that feature or perhaps a flaw in one of the pulleys.

I'm sure its covered by warranty.

John should have you back on the road soon.

Pat :thumb:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll call John tomorrow. I was thinking about taking it back to him for LT headers and the alky kit maybe it's just meant to be. I'll try that on my wife. Better yet how about I take it to him for the belt problem and the headers and alky kits just happens to get installed at the same time.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
That sounds like a good plan Chris. Dont forget to try and get that boost gauge added ( Honey they came with the original stuff I got they just were out of them then) :jammin:

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
I've got two years on my Mag and never had a belt problem. However I carry a spare with me :) :)

Here is some Gates belt #s I found during my research:

K061033 – 103 7/8
K061037 – 104 1/4 * With 3.2 Pully on Mag
K061045 – 105
K061058 – 106 3/8 * Supplied with MagnaCharger Stock Non Intercooled & Intercooled

George

·
Registered
833 Posts
Shortly after I installed my Whipple Supercharger on my Z71 I had the belt jump one grove. I put it back in place and not a issue after another 65,000 miles. I switched to the Goodyear gatorback serpentine belts and they are much quieter than the Gates. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok for now

Well I replaced my belt and gave it a few go run through the gears and it did fine. I will carry a extra belt from now on just in case. Maybe it was a freak.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My belt has popped off the engine and my car is totally stock. I doubt it is related to the magnacharger.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
When I had my Maggie installed my stock belt had some chunks in it. :-? Have not had an issue since installing the Maggie...but I'll be checking it now. :lol:

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Chris L said:
Well I replaced my belt and gave it a few go run through the gears and it did fine. I will carry a extra belt from now on just in case. Maybe it was a freak.
Chris, with any luck, all will be fine now!

If however, you see this problem come up again, it could be an alignment issue. I haven't worked with the Maggy, so I don't know if it could have similar issues, but I was eating belts for a couple of weeks with my new blower bracket. Found the issue through a laser alignment and it was only off by .007 of an inch. We did one very small shim and have had no issues since.

Mike

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thought I would chime on this thread, even though it is a few months old.

I have shredded 2 belts in 3 autox events this summer (just shredded it again today on my last run of the day). Going to pay attention to any rubbing/wear after each drive to see if anything like that is going on. Kind of weird that it is happening lately, though, as I ran autox events all last summer with the blower and no issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts