Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Z06 audio options... what are they? i do not want to tear into the car too much, but i dont think the stock bose system will provide me with what i need. i would like to meet or slightly exceed the audio performance of my camaro z28. nothing major, but i had a nice alpine deck, polk mids and tweets with an alpine amp, and a 10 inch JL w3 in a stealth box with another alpine amp. it wasnt the loudest or hardest hitting, but it was very clean and the sound quality was superb.

im gonna put another alpine deck in, mostly because i need something that plays mp3's and i love alpine sound, but what i need to know is where do you guys mount your amps? im probably gonna have to replace the bose speakers too because they dont like to work well with other amps. also, what kind of subs have you guys used, and what type of boxes work best? im thinking along the lines of one 10 or 12, for the trunk.

oh, btw, i dont have the car yet, im just preparing ahead of time, i get it this week, in about 3 days.

any input is appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I didn't want to change out the stock stereo, so I just added a subwoofer and amp, 12 CD changer-sounds awsome:thumb:

mounted the sub (10")and amp in the center compartment, CD changer in the right compartment

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you have any pictures of your setup, or any specs, details?? how did the amps work with your bose speakers? i know when i tried to amplify the bose speakers in my z28, they werent havin it, because the ohmage was all screwed up, the speakers caused the amp to work too hard, and i wasnt able to push it.

of course, this is a 94z so maybe the new bose stuff is different...

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I have a Bazooka sub and amp, got both of them fm circuit city.

will take a pic for you tomorrow and post it:thumb:

cost me maybe $200 bucks tops and it sounds awsome

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I say rip the whole thing out and start over. You can pretty much mount the amps anywhere

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well, unless you do want to tear everything out and start over, you'll need the bose adapter to install an aftermarket head unit. It's made by soundgate, it's P# is GMCRV1. That's what I had a local shop do. They really know their stuff. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I just bought a sub and am going to tap into the system as Leslie did. I'm going to use the back compartment for the volume behind the sub. I matched the sub to that particular volume. There is a description online of how you can tap into the low level low frequency feed. That's what I'm planning to do when I get to it.

Here is the info. I saved it to my computer for future reference.

Adding a subwoofer to the Z06

Yes it can - No problem !
Just listen(read carefully)

There is a subwoofer output signal going to the doors from the radio/processor. The actual Bass control on your radio controls the output to these door subs - You will get signal there. DO NOT TAG INTO THE BACK SPEAKERS AS THIS IS NOT A FULL RANGE SIGNAL !

Here is ------------wiring !

Audio interface info:

All low level audio interfaces in the Bose system are psuedo-differential. These include pre-amp, power amp, signal processor, subwoofer signals and CD changer. All high level speaker outputs, head unit and sub-amp, are fully differential. A psuedo-differential wiring scheme is one that shares one return signal wire for many signal source wires. A true differential wiring scheme uses two wires per signal. Using psuedo-differential or true differential wiring for low level signals improves noise rejection. Pseudo-differential wiring costs less than differential wiring and does not reject noise as well. Using differential wiring for high level signals improves voltage swing by 2x and thus power level. 2x the voltage swing is 4x the power. A typical single ended power amp powered by +14 volts, will put out 4 watts. A typical differential or balanced power amp running off +14 volts, will put out 16 watts. NEVER ground any psuedo-differential or differential signals to chassis. You may damage the internal differential circuitry. There is a dedicated floating Common return signal for each low level interface. DO NOT use the Common signals to interface to any external equipment. The Common signals in the C5 audio system are non-standard and should only interface to Delphi or Bose equipment. The 4 Common signals on the head unit and BSP have a DC offset on them. If you ground any of them you may do damage to internal circuitry. Only use a high impedance interface to tap a pre-amp outputs to feed external amps. For a power amp input signal return, use the shield wires or chassis. Tapping a differential signal with a single wire is OK, but you will not get the same noise rejection on long cable runs.

The following are Bose "conditioned" outputs
fed to the front door sub-woofer amps
Signal Bose signal processor connection
RH out A9
RH return A11
Drain B9
LH out A3
LH return B11
Drain B4

Full range- pre amp out
The following are the Bose head unit 4 channel pre-amp outputs
Signal CD/Radio Color code
LF out C4(9) TAN/BLK
RF out C4(10) LT GRN/BLK
LR out C4(11) BRN
RR out C4(12) DK BLU
Common C4(13) LT BLU, DO NOT USE FOR EXTERNAL POWER AMP
Shield C4(14) Bare wire
Ground C4(15) BLK

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BBaxR6 said:
Well, unless you do want to tear everything out and start over, you'll need the bose adapter to install an aftermarket head unit. It's made by soundgate, it's P# is GMCRV1. That's what I had a local shop do. They really know their stuff. Hope this helps!
hey i have a couple questions about this part. first do you know where the bose amps are? if its like my 94, there is one at every speaker, and the head unit is unamplified. same here?? secondly, i'd love to be able to use the stock wiring, instead of having to run all new speaker wire, it would be easier on my part, and depending on where the bose amps are, it could even be easier.

any links for the adapter?

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
took some pics of my setup-I decided just to see what I could get with the stock stereo by adding a subwoofer/amp, and I was very pleased. I got the CD changer from a guy on here, used-from a coupe :thumb:

10" subwoofer/amp in rear center compartment

right rear compartment, got a black towel in there with the CD, just to make it really tight since I do DE's every month-but it is mounted and holds fine for daily driving

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
bobgodd said:
Z06 audio options... what are they? i do not want to tear into the car too much, but i dont think the stock bose system will provide me with what i need. i would like to meet or slightly exceed the audio performance of my camaro z28. nothing major, but i had a nice alpine deck, polk mids and tweets with an alpine amp, and a 10 inch JL w3 in a stealth box with another alpine amp. it wasnt the loudest or hardest hitting, but it was very clean and the sound quality was superb.

im gonna put another alpine deck in, mostly because i need something that plays mp3's and i love alpine sound, but what i need to know is where do you guys mount your amps? im probably gonna have to replace the bose speakers too because they dont like to work well with other amps. also, what kind of subs have you guys used, and what type of boxes work best? im thinking along the lines of one 10 or 12, for the trunk.

oh, btw, i dont have the car yet, im just preparing ahead of time, i get it this week, in about 3 days.

any input is appreciated, thanks
I have an Alpine head unit, JL Audio Stealth box, Focal audio speakers x 4, and JL Audio Amps x 2. Total of about 600 watts. Its plenty loud on those rare occcassions i want to hear the stereo.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ScDFACHE said:
I have an Alpine head unit, JL Audio Stealth box, Focal audio speakers x 4, and JL Audio Amps x 2. Total of about 600 watts. Its plenty loud on those rare occcassions i want to hear the stereo.
how did you go about the wiring? mainly from the speakers to the amps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts