Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked a couple days ago if the 01/02 Z06 was ever produced as a convertible? I don't know.

Thanks, just want to get my info straight.:-?

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
No, the Z is a Fixed Roof Coupe (FRC). My understanding is that this is required to give the car the frame strength and rigidity it needs to get the performance that they desired.

I do know of one Z that was modified to be a convertible, but at thtat point you are destroying the structural integrity of the vehicle.

Mark

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Man, I wish it was an option right from the factory. I like my Z06 and it does look nice, but I do prefer the look of the coupe and the 'vert better. But it is the engine and related parts that make this car what I want so looks was secondary. I would however sacrifice a bit of handling to have the 'vert option as I am realistic enough to know that my driving abilities would never know the differance and I know I am a better than average driver having raced motorcycles for 18 years! Bill

·
Registered
55 Posts
george....

The Z06 Convertible is a beauty (to my eyes), as one of my friends has a 2001 Millennium Yellow/Black Top version. I own a 2001 Torch Z06, and I envy him!

The conversions can be done by Caravaggio here in the Toronto area.

http://caravaggiocorvettes.com/next.htm

....(Click on Z06/FRG)

Cost is posted at $12,500 U.S.; seems like a reasonable cost for what you get. The finished product is extremely well put together, and quality appears high. Tight as a drum....no lost body strength/integrity. Carravagio also does a Targa top conversion for the Z06 or C5 FRC, at $6,500.

Keep waving........

·
Registered
397 Posts
mdickie said:
No, the Z is a Fixed Roof Coupe (FRC). I do know of one Z that was modified to be a convertible, but at thtat point you are destroying the structural integrity of the vehicle.
And that bit of wisdom is based on what... an assumption or an actual road test? :roll:

Look, I have no doubt that for pure competition driving, the FRC would be better suited than a convertible for the same reason that a coupe with a full roll cage would be better than a stock FRC. But to say the structural integrity is "destroyed" is taking your bias a bit far.

On the street (where the vast majority of us spend most of our time) and the very occasional foray on the track, I dare say the average driver is not going to notice ANY difference. I know that so far I haven't, anyway. Remember, these are C5's, not C4's. There is a noticeable difference in chassis flex between my GS coupe and GS convertible (can you say cowl shake?) but since the C5 was designed as a convertible from the get-go, it appears to be much, much stronger.

My Z06 convert exhibts no cowl shake, no squeaks, no rattles... no runs, no drips, no errors. :) To me it offers the best of both worlds. I don't expect everyone to agree with me (thank goodness) but lets go for a ride before you condemn the car's handling. You might just come away a believer. :D

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Z06 Convertable

When I was at the Carlisle Corvette show this past August, I asked Dave Hill," if there would ever be a Z06 convertable"? His response, was "no, it would ruin the car". I personally don"t believe this, I owned a Z51 '01 convertable at the time I asked him this, and I found that car, more than capable of handling the extra power of the LS6. The convertable is a very rigid platform and my car never had a squeak or a rattle in it regardless of road conditions? I would like to see the factory make a Z06 convertable using the Z06's engine, transmission, exhaust and wheels & tires (highly polished). I would like to have the Z51 suspension in place of the FE4 suspension. I found that the Z51 suspension gives you a nice ride and great handling. I think the real reason that they won't produce a Z06 convertable or coupe is because they would be stuck with a body style that won't sell in sufficient quanities. The original Z06 (1963) was available in coupe and convertable.
Don't misunderstand, I love my '02 Z06 but I also miss that open air driving in the summer.

carzzy

·
Registered
397 Posts
carzzy -- I understand where you are coming from, but in Dave Hill's defense (not that he needs any), I understand his logic too.

Remember the ZR-1? Lots of folks were clamoring for a convertible ZR-1 but it never happened. The ZR-1, like the Z06, was the no compromises performance Corvette of that era. We need a car like that in the lineup.

As much as I like my custom Z06 droptop, I hope that GM never makes it an option. Makes mine all that more unique. Let them offer the LS6 as an engine option in other body styles if they wish, but keep the factory Z06 as is... FRC, no excuses, high performance all the way.

At least until the C6 comes out, then all bets are off! :lol:

·
Registered
267 Posts
The 1963 Z06 was only available in the coupe format. It was a complete package including brakes, FI, 36 gal tank etc. Because of demands from road racers, they discontinued the Z06 format and offered the options independently for 1963 (late) and 1964 and all but the big brake option in 1965.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Gordy M said:
The 1963 Z06 was only available in the coupe format. It was a complete package including brakes, FI, 36 gal tank etc. Because of demands from road racers, they discontinued the Z06 format and offered the options independently for 1963 (late) and 1964 and all but the big brake option in 1965.
The 1963 Z06 Corvette was initially a Coupe only option for $1818, later it was available in the Coupe and Convertable, excluding the 36 gallon fuel tank and knock off wheels for $1293.
This info is taken from the Corvette Black Book.

carzzy

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Thanks for hooking us up with the link MARZ06. They really do a factory quality job. From those pictures I would think GM did the work. Those in between pictures did put a lump in my throat though!:lol: Bill

·
Registered
397 Posts
Skunk Werkes said:
Contact Skunk Werkes if you're interested in Z06 Convertibles
A web site address would be helpful!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hutch et al....

Further to my post of 12/13-01 (above), the Z06 convertible-conversion here in Toronto area has undergone further tweeks by Caravaggio....with the new Hardtop and its transporter, special yellow leather treatment to steering wheel, doors, shifter boot, console, etc. Also, the Z06 wheels are now BLACK, and the rear end looks like Ron Fellows' C5-R (black). It is VERY distinctive....a gorgeous car....one-of-a-kind, I would expect.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I have seen C5 convertibles with the ZO6 special exterior parts put on them. So one can think he has a ZO6 convertible for less then the price of a real conversion.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sanford -- True, but that borders on "ricer" if they try to pass it off as a real Z06. Each to their own, of course.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts