Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my z06 has sitting while doing paint work , battery off and on, have been able to drive it in and out ,around the block . But now dies when in gear and start to move , starts right back up , or push clutch in and it picks up. will idle fine in nuetral ,clutch out. fresh gas . its like it senses some thing in gear and shuts down. no codes. ?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Two possibilities...

One, the steering column lock is screwed up some how. I'd expect it to display the Service Column Lock message on the DIC, but the symptoms you describe are exactly what the PCM will do if it thinks the column is locked, the car will idle and rev fine, but the moment it goes faster then 2MPH the system will cut the fuel.

The PCM doesn't know the car is in gear, but it does know if the car is moving. You could fool the PCM and see if the column lock system is the problem by pushing the car in neutral, engine running. If the motor quits when the car hits 2MPH, this is definitely the source of the problem.

If that's not it, number two guess, the throttle actuator isn't actuating? Check connections. Did someone maybe stuff a rag in the intake to keep paint from getting in maybe? Does it rev in neutral? Are you sure the parking brake is off or maybe the shoes are stuck?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nothing has changed under the hood , just started it the other night , thought maybe needed fuel but that didnt fix it , rev fine in nuetral ,clutch in or out just dies when you start to move, but push clutch in and it picks up , no stumble or rough idle ,def. shuts down

·
21,340 Posts
Have someone try to push the car with you sitting in it, in gear with the clutch in. This will at least eliminate the drive train as the problem. I'm thinking it might be the active handling module applying pressure to one or more of the brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Have someone try to push the car with you sitting in it, in gear with the clutch in. This will at least eliminate the drive train as the problem. I'm thinking it might be the active handling module applying pressure to one or more of the brakes.
Or stop on an incline/small hill :)

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,820 Posts
my z06 has sitting while doing paint work , battery off and on, have been able to drive it in and out ,around the block . But now dies when in gear and start to move , starts right back up , or push clutch in and it picks up. will idle fine in nuetral ,clutch out. fresh gas . its like it senses some thing in gear and shuts down. no codes. ?

Every time the battery is disconnected the contents that the PCM stores from it's relearn process is lost and then requires new relearns each time this is done.
It may just be you need to let engine idle at least good 5 minutes after engine goes into closed loop.
Much better to use a battery tender so everything in memory is protected,

Maybe some animal got into engine bay so check for things like a vacuum hose got eaten or by mistake hose is off like for PCV, HVAC or brakes.

Sounds like when clutch is in the engine load changes which also then vacuum changes and the PCM calibration cannot overcome it so something such as a vaccum or intake leak or possible the MAF or it's wiring.

Check the DIC for what error codes are stored, do not take battery off for that also would erase error codes so you'll never know what they were.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the ideas when i get time i will look into the CL . its a definite shut down ,like fuel . Ill do a bypass soon , the car is new to me, so i got several things to check out

·
Registered
65 Posts
This happened to me when I was at work,the car was fine when I got to work but when I left to go home it would die when I let out the clutch.It was the steering column lock problem,it was fixed under a TSB

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yup. steering column lock. when you put it in gear and reach 1.5 mph, fuel shuts off. anti theft. the TSB sort of fixed mine. happend twice till the tech fixed it right. GM paid for the tow bill the second time, not the first.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I had the second recall done too for the K harness and lockplate removal. I got stuck the next day when the CL message appeared and my fuel cutoff. Turns out it was a week battery. I don't believe GM ever really fixed entire problem since a week battery can cause the CL message to appear and shut off the fuel. I had my PCM reflashed to raise the fuel cutoff set point from 1.5MPH to 255MPH. End of problem for good.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
GM never actually "fixed" the problem. What they did was make it less likely to have the failure (with the addition of a second "debouncing" relay) and eliminate the ability of the system to lock the column if it does still fail. They didn't make it so the system was disabled. It still tries to do it's thing, and it can definitely still do the wrong thing given the right conditions. Having the cutoff reprogrammed does totally disable the cutoff, but something like that isn't anything a GM Dealer will do for you *and* you want to be damn sure you have the GM TSB done first, before you reprogram the cutoff, or you could be risking a serious accident.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
GM never actually "fixed" the problem. What they did was make it less likely to have the failure (with the addition of a second "debouncing" relay) and eliminate the ability of the system to lock the column if it does still fail. They didn't make it so the system was disabled. It still tries to do it's thing, and it can definitely still do the wrong thing given the right conditions. Having the cutoff reprogrammed does totally disable the cutoff, but something like that isn't anything a GM Dealer will do for you *and* you want to be damn sure you have the GM TSB done first, before you reprogram the cutoff, or you could be risking a serious accident.
Your right. The dealership removed the lockplate but would not do the reflash. I had that done by a friend who is a tuner.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
If you just got the car and don't know of it's past take down the VIN go to the nearest chevy service dept. and ask for a VIS report. It will tell you if the ignition key issue for the C5's TSB was done or not. It's free and takes them 2 minutes tops to print your cars GM history out.

Sounds like your computer is working and shutting you down from a signal as it should if nothing has changed and just popped up. Check the VIS for the ignition key TSB if ignored get it done. Good Luck.:z:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know I’m jumping in on this years later but had the same problem and this came up in my search. I accidentally left my tender off and the battery died. Jumped it with my jump box and let idle to charge up a bit before my drive. Went to roll out of the garage and it shut right down. Restarted and tried again with same result. Did a search to find out what the hell and stumbled across this. From what I read sounded like potentially a low battery so I put on my trickle charger and let sit overnight, boom problem solved. Just figured I’d add that on here in case someone else comes across the same issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts