Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I used my 99 silver 6 speed coupe for normal daily driving. (I car pool, so drove it one week out of every month).

The ride was very comfortable to me. I've been reading reviews of the Z06 (usually 2001 model years) and it seems a few reviewers have noted that the stiffer suspension doesn't lend itself that well to daily driver comfort.

While I don't expect it to be as comfortable as my old vette, my question for all of you Z06 owners is...

Is there really that much of a difference in driving comfort?

My Z06 is still in the oven (TPW 2/11).

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
When compared to other world class sports cars, the ZO6 suspension is downright amazing. I drive mine semi-daily and the only things I can think of that detract from it's daily drivability is the lack of a spare tire, and my fear that someone will steal, scratch, ding, or dent it in the parking lot. As far as being stiff...
My truck has a stiff ride. The ZO6 is tight, smooth, and precise. I had the opportunity to test drive a vert and the ride was slightly smoother.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
My Z is a daily driver. Compared to the cars that I usually drive (dropped, polyurethane, stiff bars, springs, shocks), its quite comfortable.

How it compares to a reg C5 coupe, I have no idea.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Z06 has a better ride than my 99 roadster.The tires make all the difference.The run flats are like solid rubber tires,pure garbage, with 12,000 miles on them they sang like the fat lady.
I have had friends drive my Z06 and they are amazed at the ride.
Ray T

·
Registered
123 Posts
No, there's not really that much difference in driving comfort.

You'll read negative commments about ride comfort and road noise. The road noise part is mostly true, but many of us consider it a plus hearing our cars commandeer the roadway.

The ride quality thing is bunk.

There are so many good things to say about a Z06 that the reviewers had to find something to criticize to give the appearance of maintaining their journalistic integirty.

My wife finds the car to be reasonably comfortable, even on long trips, and she's had three back surgerys. That's in an '01 and the '02s are supposed to be even smoother.

IMHO the only issue your going to have with your new Z06 is with other people wondering why you can't wipe that smile off your face. :cool:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for...

...all of the helpful replies on this guys!

Keep 'em comin!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Mine is my only car.
I have put 5100 miles on it since I picked it up 11/2 (less than 3 months). I think it is a great car. Very liveable and easy to get along with.
I have an 02 and have no problems with ride or harshness. It is stiff, but nothing extreme. It does follow road grooves, but that was expected and easy to anticipate.

No big problems.

And that initial fear of dings and scratches eases over time. I got my first and only parking lot ding four days after I got it. Stupid woman in a suburban!!!
A few rock nicks on the front, but I love the car. Cars were made to be driven! Enjoy it.

chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
I upgraded from a 98 coupe to a 01 Z06 about a year ago. The ride is stiffer and there is more engine noise. But the handling and speed is night and day from the 98. I miss the smoother, quieter ride. But I could could never, ever go back. If you enjoy performance, trust me, do it!

·
Registered
212 Posts
That sounds like the excuse I use to give people when I bought my 2000 convertible it has a nicer ride or its more user friendly however in terms of comfort the Z meets and exceeds the comfort and the ride in my opinion. I think what makes the Z so great is not so much the individual things but everything working in harmony together. Further more if one attempted to obtain the performance of the Z out of a normal C5 you would lose drivability, reliability as well as comfort and still far short of the Z. this has been my experience after putting 10K into a convertible only to feel envious when I drove in a Z. there is no substitute for the Z when all things are considered. This lesson cost me about 20k and you can have it for free.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Stogo,
The ride is a little stiffer than the regular C5's, being more noticeable on rough roads and tar strips. I had a '01 Coupe with the standard suspension and a '01 Convertable with the Z51 suspension, and I find my '02 Z06 rides about the same on smooth roads. (handling is much better) The ride is very livable for everday use. I also will say, that the Z06 rides better than all previous generation Corvette's that I have owned.

carzzy

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
My 99A4 coupe was a smooth cruizer after I put the firestone firehawk r/f on it. It was smooth riding and quiet, especially since it had the base suspension (high speed sweepers scared the bejeezus out of me with the little wallow it had). But ya see, I traded it in on a 'SPORTS CAR' :cheers: The Z06 is a little firmer, better over bumps and potholes (no r/f's) and handles like a freakin' cheetah at high speed!!!!! :D :D I like the seats better in the Z06, rather than the sports seats in my ex-coupe (probably due to me being a little horizontally challenged :D )

·
Registered
53 Posts
The ride quality of the Z06 is not hard, harsh or bumpy. There's more road noise than most cars, plus obviously the exhaust/induction sound. :D :D :D

The only concern that I have with mine is with ruts in the freeway - the car loves getting into them but hates getting out again. You have to be very careful in the wet with this.

I wouldn't want to use mine in slippery conditions though, even slightly. There's 385/405 horses straining to get loose at the earliest opportunity.:eek: (I've had traction control cut in in 3rd gear @ 80mph on a wet freeway ramp :p :mad: )

Graham

·
Registered
231 Posts
My 01 coupe had the Z51 package..that combined with harshness of the GY runflats made for a stiff ride,car moved around allot on bumps etc..The ride on my 02 ZO6 is comfortable not too harsh,car has more control ..handles and steers better.feels tighter..you definately can feel the power differance and the exhaust sound is perfect IMHO:cheers:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Stogo, the first time you shift into third at 6,200 rpm and the car gets a little loose and then pulls as hard or harder than it did in second, YOU WON'T CARE what it rides like, smells like, or looks like. It's just too damn fun with handling and brakes to match the power. All the best too you!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool...

...I wanna catch a scratch in third...

;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had a '68 set up for auto-x that ran like the Z06 but wasn't even pretending to be a street car. '90 Z-51 rode a lot worse w/o the power and didn't drive as good. Z06 is the best out of the box auto-x vette I've had the joy to drive. Don't do it daily so I can keep my license! (They tell me I have too much lead in my body and it's all settled in my right foot! Medical condition I have learned to live with!!):D

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Although I never owned a C-5 before my Z. It has a much stiffer more responsive ride then my 95' coupe:cheers:

·
Registered
238 Posts
RH:

You hit the D--- right on the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
My 99 coupe had the standard suspension. I notice very little or no difference in the harshness or comfort in the ride. The exhaust is louder but I was used to that with my Bassani. :)

You will love your Z06.

- Charley

1 - 20 of 23 Posts