Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally picked up my Z06 at the museum and have put 2800 miles on the car driving home to California. The fit and finish on the car are outstanding! I was pleasantly surprised by the light action of the clutch which is much easier to depress than I expected. Bumper to bumper traffic was not a problem. The car is also more docile than I expected under partial throttle. That is, I worried about inadvertent wheel spin under partial throttle, but found the car to be quite controllable and responsive.

Shifting is a bit stiff and twice I had the transmission jump out of gear in first and reverse because I had not fully engaged the gear while at a dead stop. At first, I thought I had broken something big time. I'll drive for a while before deciding on a replacement shifter. There is an annoying noise where the shift boot vibrates on the shift lever.

This car really likes to run on the highway, however, I did notice a slow periodic vibration while on the highway between 75 and 90 miles per hour. The frequency is about one and one half seconds. Initially I thought this was pavement related, but the condition persisted on all road surfaces. The pick-up on the car from 5th or 6th gear at about 75 mph is flatter than I would have expected. It's clear that to get the car to get up at haul at these speeds it is necessary to downshift to 4th.

Others have complained of excessive road noise at speed. To me, this was not particularly bothersome except when running on rumble strips. No problem with enjoying the CD player all the way home, but disc storage is an issue. My radar detector lit up across Illinois, Nebraska, Wyoming, Nevada, and California. I didn't get a signal in Utah or Kentucky. I was intimiated a bit in Utah seeing a Grand Sport sitting on the side of the road with an unmarked highway patrol writing a ticket. Suffice it to say that I can testify that my Z06 will do at least 130. There was too much traffic to go faster. It is still pretty exciting to be rolling down the road at 100 and to have a semi pull into your lane at 60. Brakes are positive and really bring the car down from speed in a hurry.

My first shot at wide open throttle really surprised me as I had serious misfire. It took a moment to realize that I had hit the rev limiter. The LS6 really hits the rev cut-off in a hurry. Finally my sense of control on this car is phenomenal in that the car corners as though it is on rails.

For those still waitin, you will love this car. It is absolutely awesome!! jerboa :D :D :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
Congrats Jerboa.. :)

I also found the clutch very light. When they beefed up the LS6 clutch, I wish they had gone further. I would gladly accept 30% more effort for a stronger clutch. I think GM cuts the clutch engineering a bit too close. It isn't an Accord - the clutch can be stiff.

The car is also more docile than I expected under partial throttle. That is, I worried about inadvertent wheel spin under partial throttle, but found the car to be quite controllable and responsive.
I believe you have the throttle-by-wire (and a great ECU calibration from the factory) to thank for that.:)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Congrats on your new Vette. It's always fun to read people's first impressions.

The rev limiter is indeed scary - I have hit it twice in my F-body and it scared the piss out of me due to the sudden nature of the cut off. I wonder if with modern "drive by wire" systems, they could make this a more gradual cutoff, so it feels more like hitting a pillow than a wall.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! !

I don't have one (yet), but I would agree that the shifter is one possible weakness. My LT4 has much the same funky shifter characteristics . . . kind of the nature of the beast for six speeds. The gates are too close together, side to side, and it seems far too "notchy" - might loosen up some with time - and definitely takes some getting use to if you've never had one before.

Janet, there is an all Corvette car show next Saturday (10/6) at Mare Island in Vallejo. I think it is the last show of the season. Email me privately if you are interested in the details. I am planning to take my LT4 to the show and would love to see you and your new Z there as well.

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Congrats! When I bought mine, site unseen, I had no idea I would like it this much. It is a great balance or power and handling. It is great for a daily driver. Pure enjoyment.

Of course, I think you came to the ZO6 as a previous owner, I had no reference since I have never owned one before.

Miles of :) 's.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Janet, it only gets better......... enjoy!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PerforminNorman said:
Congrats! When I bought mine, site unseen, I had no idea I would like it this much. It is a great balance or power and handling. It is great for a daily driver. Pure enjoyment.

Of course, I think you came to the ZO6 as a previous owner, I had no reference since I have never owned one before.

Miles of :) 's.
Norman,

I'm moving up from a Trans Am. This is my first Corvette so it is a great new experience for me as well.

Z06Y Lady

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Janet,

Congradulations it's good to hear you love your car.I'll be getting mine in a couple of weeks.Greg:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
If things don't glitch, I'm expecting my EB Z06 this afternoon in LA.
After reading this post, it seems Z06 Lady drove the brand new car at high speeds.
From what I've read on prior posts, aren't you supposed to break in the car at slower speeds for the first 600 miles or so?

Any advise? I'm driving to Palm Springs on Wednsday and am touchy about driving at high speeds over 55.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
LAvette

You will find a 50/50 school of thought on that subject. Some say baby it, some say drive it like ya stole it. I suppose only the long haul determines who's correct......................

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
568 Posts
After reading this post, it seems Z06 Lady drove the brand new car at high speeds. From what I've read on prior posts, aren't you supposed to break in the car at slower speeds for the first 600 miles or so?
Nah, re-read the first sentence. It was a 2800 mile drive home. How could you possibly not nail it at 500 miles with 2300 more to go?? :D

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Z06Y Lady .. glad you had a safe and fun trip home. The car is surely a blast!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LAvette said:
If things don't glitch, I'm expecting my EB Z06 this afternoon in LA.
After reading this post, it seems Z06 Lady drove the brand new car at high speeds.
From what I've read on prior posts, aren't you supposed to break in the car at slower speeds for the first 600 miles or so?

Any advise? I'm driving to Palm Springs on Wednsday and am touchy about driving at high speeds over 55.
During the museum delivery orientation, they told me to take it easy with the car for the first 500 miles. No hard braking, no wide open throttle and no use of the cruise control. They said vary the rpms during this inital phase. I left Bowling Green driving on back roads at speeds no higher than 65 for the first 200 miles or so and with lots of shifting to vary the rpms. From 200 to 500 I drove on the freeway varying from 6th to 5th to 4th and back. My first WOT was after 500 miles. In 6th gear the engine turns about 2200 rpm at 70.

Z06Y Lady

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I'll be cautious as my car has only 30 miles so far.
I should have it later this afternoon and will post my impression after I have driven it.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Janet:

Glad to hear you had a great museum experience and enjoyed yourride home!

Zippy :) :)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Glad to read you arrived safe and sound jerboa! Yes,have to agree with you,this car is AWESOME!!
Zman

1 - 20 of 21 Posts